Is homosexuality prohibited in the Bible?

Hi! I am a Muslim, so I’m not entirely familiar with the LGBT community. Same sex marriages are not allowed in my religion, but I respect all gays, and I will not insult anyone for being gay, so please do not mistake me for being homophobic. I know this topic is very sensitive, but I am curious and I have a lot of questions. I am not trying to insult gay people in any way, I just wanted to know one thing. Isn’t homosexuality prohibited in the Bible? Like, I’m not trying to say that what you’re doing is wrong, but I did some research and found that in Paul’s Letter To The Corinthians, Chapter 6, 9 it says this:
“Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men”
Please know that I’m not intending to be rude to anyone, and if I offended anyone please let me know so I can delete this post as soon as possible, I just want to get more educated and learn more about these things because I’m not familiar with it in my country. So, if it says this in the Bible, then why do some people do it?

7 Likes

ye it is…

2 Likes

Why I’m an Atheist

6 Likes

Short answer - Yes, it is prohibited in the Bible. HOWEVER, I do think that the Bible contradicts itself sometimes because of the amount of times the saying, “love each other as I have loved you,” is used in the Bible. For example, “A NEW COMMANDMENT I GIVE UNTO YOU, THAT YE LOVE ONE ANOTHER; AS I HAVE LOVED YOU, THAT YE ALSO LOVE ONE ANOTHER. BY THIS SHALL ALL MEN KNOW THAT YE ARE MY DISCIPLES, IF YE HAVE LOVE ONE TO ANOTHER.” - JOHN 13:34-35, KJV, as well as many other verses that have the same idea, which to me, is very confusing since the Bible seems to be against LGBTQ+. I have many friends (and I myself) who are raised as Christians/Catholics, but are apart of the LGBTQ+ community. It’s really hard to say. (I didn’t mean to offend anyone by this post, this is just how I see it)

4 Likes

Wait, so if people believe that the Bible is wrong, then why do they believe in it?

1 Like

I’m really not sure. I think it depends on the person. Personally, I don’t really believe in what the Bible says since there are many contradictions, so I think you’d have to ask someone else that question since I’m not sure.

2 Likes

Oh ok then. Thank you

2 Likes

Technically if we look to the Injil or Injeel which is the real revelation given to Jesus A.S, it definitely is.

In the Bible and Quran it is also prohibited. Just look at the city of Sodom and Gamorrah which lies under the Dead Sea, the lowest point on Earth.

However, it does not mean we as humans…uhm think negatively or act negatively towards these people. Because we are all humans. This rule is the same in across the books and religions I believe. That’s the law.

3 Likes

depends on your hermeneutics

2 Likes

I think yes? (one of my friend is a Christian.)

2 Likes

This is the thing right here, it’s all about educating, and NOTHING is wrong with that. I am a Christian, and I do support it, and I do think it is prohibited in The Bible. At least from my point of view.

4 Likes

Tbh, this always run across my mind sometimes, i don’t really know why, so idk. Hm.

2 Likes

As someone who reads the bible and is Christian, it is prohibited, but as a Christian it is my job to love and respect everyone on this earth, lgbt+ or not.
“This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.” - John 15:12, KJV. Jesus calls on all of us to engage in loving others, just as He has loved us. This is one of the Bible verses that makes it clear that God’s love is the blueprint to follow in our own lives.

15 Likes

Ikr, and this is my point exactly. Love & respect each other for who they are.

5 Likes

It depends on how you view the bible. As a devote Christian, I don’t think consensual gay relationships are sinful. Here is why I believe this, when the bible was translated homosexuality was not a word. Many biblical scholars suggest that the term homosexuality refers more to violent sodomy, not consensual relations between two same-sex partners that are done within a marriage. I’m not one to go against the word of God, but I genuinely do not see evidence to support that it’s wrong from a biblical standpoint.

Regardless of your opinions on translations our faith also commands us to be loving and understanding of others, so that means that homophobia is 100% a sin

6 Likes

Short answer, yes.

A lot of people do believe it was a translation error though. And a lot of Christians believe that since it is explicitly said in the Bible to love everyone no matter what, hating on someone for being LGBT+ is against the Bible.

Personally I think most of the Bible is bs, but people can believe whatever they like.

3 Likes

I couldn’t have answered that better. I’m a born again christian I know God loves everybody equally.

3 Likes

Amen. God bless you. I am a bible believing follower and believer of the Lord Jesus Christ, and yes He does mention what is right and what is wrong, but He also tells us to love everyone, even our enemies, and everyone is everyone.

11 Likes

I’m pretty sure, when the bible was first created that line about a man not being allowed to lie with another boy was referencing pedophilia but in the 1900s it was changed to homosexuality.

7 Likes

Yes, the bible does say that a man should not lay with another man, and that homosexuality is a sin. However, it also says to love others and respect others. The Bible contradicts itself quite a lot. In a way, it depends on what you take away from the Bible and how you interpret it, too. Some Churches are very homophobic, while others are very friendly and accepting. I’m a Christian, and the Chruch I go to is LGBTQ+ friendly.
Being homosexual isn’t a choice. You can’t change it or ignore it. No one is LGBTQ+ because they want to or decided to.
I hope I worded that correctly and am not offending anyone.
Have a nice day!

7 Likes