Is it just me or am I the only one sick of these bad boy stories?

I’ve been an on and off fan for Episode for about 7 years now and the “bad boys” story hasn’t changed. Not in the community romance section nor the Episode officials. I really miss classics like Evil Twin Heist and I have been so sick and tired of mafia and bad boy stories. A nice change for me is seeing more Queer stories on the shelves! :slight_smile: But EVERY BAD BOY STORY IS THE EXACT SAME

-highschool
-bad boy’s name is Micheal
-leather jackets, childhood trauma
-motorcycle rider since the age of 15
-dad parents (no legal guardians either, siblings don’t exist and somehow he’s still living fine and he’s like 16-17)
“my mom d
ed when i was 10 and i bullied MC and gave them psychological damage but they should forgive me because mom d*ed “
-romanticizing the mamma mia gang
-edit: forgot to add, MOST OF THEM ARE BORDERLINE S@XUAL OFFENDERS/HARASSERS i.e KISSING W/O CONSENT

Episode official writers please do better!!! So tired of it and I’ve been witnessing this for YEARRRSS. Sorry for the rant. If you enjoy
these stories than im happy for u haha

26 Likes

Well, while I agree that these stories feel repetitive and unoriginal, I always thought that if you don’t like something, you don’t have to read it - there are so many great stories out there. For me, it becomes an actual problem once these stories begin to include misogynistic tropes, that are being inserted into the sometimes very young minds of the readers. But yeah, it really is cliche, and it’s time for episode to start promoting stuff that isn’t that.

5 Likes

I agree. And I don’t read them at all, but my ENTIRE page is filled to the brim w Bad boy stories and it takes ages to find that isn’t one. And most of the ones I read have verbally abusive and misogynistic tones (controlling behavior etc)
If you don’t mind can you recommend me ones without those topics?

4 Likes

As someone who will gem farm Episode Originals, I…yeah. You’re not the only one sick of it. I don’t normally read these stories, but I agree with you. Living alone at 17/18 and having a nice house somehow is definitely a major plot hole in these stories. Sure, the bAd bOI likely inherited the house from his ded parents, but it isn’t realistic for him to be alone.

I think the problem is that people take inspiration from Episode Originals, which all have the same recycled plot line at their core. There is nothing wrong with writing one of these stories, per se, but if they’re romanticizing toxicity and are completely unoriginal, then it makes the stories stand out less.

(I personally go for comedy, sci-fi, and fantasy, so I don’t read bad boy stories unless I need free gemz.)

2 Likes

yes yes you worded it better than I did haha! I have no problem with the bad boy trope ITSELF because I understand the appeal but I just see the weird borderline abusive undertones time and time again :frowning:

2 Likes

I just reviewed a story named Interwined, it’s a romance story that has an MC with an actual personality and a kind love interest… If you want, there are SO MANY people on Instagram reccomending high quality stories of all genres on their pages :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ok thank you! I barely go on instagram for episode stories wow… maybe that’s why I feel like my options are so limited😂

2 Likes

Yeah, the moment I opened an insta account for episode stuff I felt like I entered a magical episode realm lmao

1 Like

It’s really annoying as they emotionally ruin the mc and they make the mc out like she’s naive or a woman who has lots of male partners

1 Like

And of course the tattoos at the age of 15 :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

You could always try making a post on the forums asking for story suggestions that specifically don’t have that trope or any of the more problematic elements you mentioned. Just make sure to put in some kind of codeword near the end of your post that they have to put in their reply. That way you can easily weed out people who read your post and are making genuine recommendations versus people who are promoting their stories on every thread they come across regardless of what the poster is looking for.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Not even the bad boy cliche. I think it could be done well if implemented properly, but bc of what you stated above, it don’t work out in most cases. Its just the same toxic “love” story on Episode. It’s dull and boring at this point. “BOOO, TOMATO TOMATO” :face_exhaling: :sleeping:

6 Likes

I agree with the whole “bad boy” thing. Most (not all tho :slightly_smiling_face:) are pretty toxic and unrealistic. If you’re looking for more queer stories tho i’m currently writing an LGBTQ story if u would be interested. Not really trying to self-promote, just if ur interested :))

4 Likes

Please share!:heart:

It’s called Heartless Love. I’ll let u know when I publish it in case u still wanna read. I’m almost at 3 :sweat_smile: :black_heart:

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll make sure to check it out once it’s finished :3

1 Like

Sums up the featured story shelves :joy:

3 Likes

I Feel like I hate the bully to lovers this dude bullied you pour water made fun of u then you fall in love?

If I ever make a bad boy thing story I want him to win her over i want him to give her affection be rude to everyone but have a soft side for her cuddle her won’t be afraid to kiss her in public trying to like idk get out of becoming a leader for his dad mafia and doesn’t have mommy issues yk and when they have kids he treats his daughter like a princess and his son like a prince

2 Likes

I literally cannot stand it either.
I hate how it’s always promoted as ok behavior too. Several authors try to write in the concept of the love interest demanding to know where the mc is, which dilutes the severity of this issue. This is one of the many starts of a toxic relationship, but if kids read this kind of thing (that’s even found in episode originals) they may begin to believe this is normal.

I really hope this toxicity can be handled eventually by the episode team and his will not be allowed and promoted

6 Likes