Is it ok to use episode backgrounds?

Almost always, getting a background my pininterest is a bad idea. Even if you do credit the artist, they may not want you to use it. You have to check the usage rights and make sure it is marked as available for reuse. I would just say to steer clear of Pinterest in general. There are many great background artists in this community, and there are a few sites where you can find CCO images that I could share with you!

2 Likes

I checked out that specific background here:

And reading the comments, it says this:

amylalaz123 [Mar 5, 2017]
Hi! Your art is beautiful!
I am currently working on a visual novel and I would like to use your art as the backdrops for my novel. Is it ok to use them? I can give credit for your work.

JakeBowkett ( Hobbyist Digital Artist) [Mar 9, 2017]

Hey there, thanks! I’m sorry but majority of my art was commissioned by clients – i.e., they paid for it – so only they can use it. Thanks for asking first and good luck with your visual novel.

So that specific background you found on Pinterest cannot be used.

Hope this answers your questions and good luck!

On a side note, Pinterest is a very bad idea to to use when you’re looking for backgrounds-instead look at websites like pixabay.com and check out other Episode user’s who provide backgrounds free of use-make sure to give credit.

2 Likes

I look up for art online. I always make sure that I’m either looking on a stock photo website which I double check to make sure that the art is free to use, and I also search for things on the internet but put it on a setting where it only finds backgrounds that are free to use, and whenever I get them I double check. If it’s specifically an episode background I’d give credit (don’t find much of those on stock photo sites though, but I know a few links to some that let you use it if you give credit). If I’m ever not sure about an image I click on it to see where it will lead me. I also make sure they are for commercial use too, because I figured (Just in case). Hope this helps! Feel free to PM if you want to know how I set the settings to find a free stock photo online! I’d be more than happy to help you out!

There are some good pictures if you just look it up as a stock photo, but I’d recommend stock photo websites, and then the other way I described if you can’t find anything there.

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Thanks for the warning I knew it was kind of fishy to use backgrounds from Pinterest.

Can you tell me how to do it? And thanks for your opinion. :blush:

I use google.com for looking up images. Ok step 1: Search any image, it doesn’t matter. 2. Go to the “images” tab. To the far right there should be a settings button.3 Click it. 4 Go on “advanced search”. All the way down, there’s a “usage rights” button, click it, and scroll to the type you’re looking for. Then click “advanced search”. There’s other cool features in advanced search, I can’t explain all of them but feel free to explore.

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like