Is it OK to use the “N” word in a story?

So, I’m a black person and I was wondering if I could use the N word in my story. If I can use it, I’ll probably have to censor it out but I don’t know if I can for sure. I contacted Episode about it and they didn’t really answer my question when I asked them about it.

10 Likes

I mean, i dont see why not if we can use other curse words as long as we censor it. But at the same time it is a very sensitive word. I wouldn’t risk it tbh. :thinking:

8 Likes

I mean your black as long so as you do n***a then it shouldn’t be a problem. Although you should probably contact episode and ask first, so if you do use it they won’t try an take your story

2 Likes

Like i seen other use it cencored, though I would advice not to.

1 Like

I think it’s fine, but it’s quite the controversial word. Though, just as long as you use the one with an ‘a’, not a hard ‘r’ :confounded: and censor it.

1 Like

It’s very risky. Even if a black character (it is a black character, right? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:) is saying it to their friend it could be considered a racist remark in the eyes of Episode.

Maybe other words like man, bruh, jit, homeboy, cuz, dawg, or even negro.

5 Likes

Yes, it’s a black character. I was planning on using negro instead of the other N word with the a story the end.

6 Likes

I think it says in the guidelines you’re not allowed to use any racial slurs; that probably includes those which have been widely reclaimed within a community.

3 Likes

i’m pretty sure that aint allowed even if you are a poc so I recommend you dont just to b safe

6 Likes

Idrk tbh, I honestly would not because there are some people that are not a poc and may find it “offensive” in some way. Or find a way to bash you for it.

8 Likes

Negro should be fine since people actually use that term to announce their heritage, especially with spanish speaking communities. But still, negro might still be considered a slur? Like, it’d kinda feel derogatory if a non-black english speaker was saying that. I’m not sure lol

2 Likes

I feel like a good majority of people still consider it derogatory, yeah :? I would never call myself a negro around my nonblack friends or allow any of them to call me negro; but when I’m with my black friends, hello, yes I am your negress queen thank you :relieved::crown: That might be controversial though skskks

9 Likes

You could, I wouldn’t.

1 Like

Even though its a black character, it makes me pretty uncomfortable to see that word used in an Episode story tbh :sweat_smile:

“negro” is still a pejorative word that during the slave trade, refers directly to African people and their slave status so I don’t see a big difference, although some have reappropriated it in a better way. But you do you tho!

1 Like

Per the google doc linked in this post

You can’t use slurs in Episode stories, even if you belong to the group who has the right to say or reclaim it.

8 Likes

No. Do not use it.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend it for this app.

1 Like

The wor jh*t is a slur to the episode community :sob:

I mainly say stuff like that but when I joined this community had to realize people find sayings ike that offensive :pensive:

2 Likes

A slur? It’s just slang for a kid/ someone younger than you.

5 Likes

According to google, it’s a slang, not slur. Meaning “someone younger than you” .

According to google: Prison slang. However, it is most often used to refer to young thugs/wannabe thugs or other punky kids.

2 Likes