Is it okay to curse in front of your kids?

I’m in between. I don’t think you should just for good practice but I also think that it shouldn’t be such a big deal. I do think that parents should not curse at their kids because it can be hurtful. Sometimes cursing just really adds emphasis to what is already being said so cursing negatively towards kids shouldn’t happen at all.

5 Likes

I don’t know, my parents never cursed in front of me, so I don’t curse, even though my friends do. I think you can curse in front of your kids, but if you do, you shouldn’t be annoyed if they copy you

5 Likes

my family’s never really cared about swearing. we were taught when we have to be polite, and swore pretty early on. it’s never been an issue though, and despite my brother being a little prick at home, he still managed to get an award for being the most polite at school.

my sister, on the other hand, has no idea when it’s ok or not ok. well, she does, but she’s 12/13 (i can’t remember which) and doesn’t really care.

2 Likes

True, no reason to be annoyed because it you that says the words in the first place and they copy you, and there is no reason to be annoyed.

3 Likes

If I had kids, I wouldn’t curse in front of them until they were older, maybe 12 or so. (By curse words, though, I mean like ‘fuck’ and stuff, not slurs or anything, those are a whole other category.)

I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with curse words, it’s the intent rather than the word itself that makes a statement mean/crude.

But if Episode is any indication, there are some people who are gravely bothered by swear words in any context, notably, authority figures. If I were a mom, I’d be one of the biggest influences in my kid’s life, so I’d want to make sure that my influence their life was swear-free until they were old enough to censor themselves around more sensitive authorities.

TL;DR I wouldn’t mind if my kids swore as long as they weren’t mean about it and could control it in professional settings.

7 Likes

i’d try not to, but i wouldn’t just keep it all in. i’m a very… expressive person. my mother curses but i personally don’t mind. it’s something i’m familiar and it hasn’t affected me negatively.

would i curse at them? no. whenever someone does it to me, it makes the situation much harsher than it has to be.

they’ll hear curse words all throughtout school, life, etc., it would be better coming from someone they feel loved by first.

6 Likes

I don’t believe it’s good to cuss in front of the kids.

HOWEVER!

This is very true. Everyone curses everywhere. I mean I curse around my brother all the time :joy:

So I think it’s not right but at the same time, its not a big deal

Drops Mic :microphone: :microphone:

Boom!

4 Likes

I wouldn’t, but I don’t outright disapprove of people who do swear in front of their kids. I’d want to “teach” them swear words (I know that sounds bad, hear me out).

Like, “bitch”, I wouldn’t want them to hear it from me and then go around calling everybody a b*tch because I said it and they think it’s okay. I’d say that it was a bad word and that it can be offensive, and not to call anybody one. I’d want them to be aware of them, but I’d encourage minimal use, but I wouldn’t get mad if they did use them as they grew up.

3 Likes

I don’t curse either. I just don’t like. I’m not sure if stupid is the right word to use, but I do think it sounds unprofessional or unclassy when people curse.

I personally think it’s more freeing when I don’t curse. It’s not something that slips out without me thinking. I think what’s most important is not making or encouraging a habit of cursing. While cursing every once in a while is understandable, there are always times and places where it’s not acceptable.

4 Likes

My mom kind of did that. Whenever I accidentally said a curse word I heard or made up when I was trying to rhyme (surely others have accidentally said the F-word when trying to find words that rhymed with Duck). She would explain to me that it was a “bad word” and not to use it, and then I never used it again.

4 Likes

Ahah yeah I did that too :joy:

2 Likes

When I was growing up my mum and nana never swore, apart from bugger, sugar etc…

I however did hear those words from my uncle since he was living with us for several years… I never really swore until I reached my teenage years…

That being said, I try not to swear in front of little ones, though they’ll hear them regardless… So even if they hear you swear or another person swear they won’t necessarily repeat the word… You just have to explain it to them as they grow up, they’re just words, until you give them meaning…

2 Likes

I think it’s not a big deal to a certain extent

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s a huge deal but obviously it isn’t right to have your kids going around speaking like that to other kids. Some swear words have horrible meanings behind them and kids could easily pick this up and use it whenever they like. This is how people who aren’t black and say the N word are made. They were raised in an environment where it was made to think it’s ok to say stuff like that (or they’re just stupid and want to look cool so they say it.)

Overall it isn’t a big deal but yeah, I wouldn’t encourage it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.