Is it okay to use a city name in my story?

The story I’m currently working on takes place in New York, but I’m not sure if I’m ‘allowed’ to use a city name directly?? I’m really confused .-.

1 Like

I think you can but i’m not 100% sure. I’ve seen others do it without getting reported :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yeah I just didn’t want to risk anything :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah i don’t blame you. i would wait before publishing your story using it though, get someone else’s opinion first. I’d hate to be wrong and mess your story up. I’ll read it once it’s done :blush:

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it :smiley:

1 Like

You can. There’s a background in the portal with PHILADELPHIA on the side of a building, after all. When they say you can’t depict places, they mean you can’t depict places under copyright. For instance, you can’t show your characters going into Target or KFC. You can set the story in New York, but you can’t depict the New York Times. You can, however, depict a fictional media outlet called, say, New York Unicorgicopia if you want to, as I very much doubt that’s under copyright.

4 Likes

That clears things up a lot, thank you!

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s fine.

The guidelines states:

Privately owned locations.

• Stories can take place in real public places (public colleges, monuments, and buildings), but not in a privately owned places. The following are examples of privately owned places:

• Yale, Havard, or other places and Ivy league colleges/universities.

• Disneyworld or other privately owned theme parks.

• Retails stores, hotels, restaurants, and clubs.

• Privately owned places can be mentioned in passing, but not feature as a plot point or drive the story.

With that being said. Yes.

5 Likes

Awesome! I was wondering if we could use college names, and now we can. Thanks!

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since this doesn’t fit into any Creator’s Corner category. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.