Is my art style against Episode Guidelines? Tips on Cover Commissions?[Covers]

I’m planning on accepting commissions for cover art. I’ve seen others say there are certain guidelines that you have to follow so you can profit on your art and not get in trouble with Episode but I’m not familiar with their cover guidelines. I have two questions:

1. Is this art style or format going to get me in trouble?
  2. Seasoned cover artists what are your tips on accepting cover commissions? (i.e. pricing, format, down payments, copyright, contracts)

Here is my sample cover (it’s a story I’m currently writing)

Thank you very much!

4 Likes

This looks like your own personal style, and isn’t traced or using any of Episode’s assets. So you could definitely be commissioned for this!

For starting commissions, I recommend building a bit more of a portfolio first so you have at least 3-5 examples to show potential clients.
In the meantime, coming up with a terms and conditions form is very helpful so your clients know what to expect. I struggled with this initially because I couldn’t find good examples to form my own, so I’ll link mine below for you to reference off of :slightly_smiling_face:
Terms And Conditions Example
I also go over payments in my conditions. I require at least 50% down before I even sketch. Some artists wait til after the sketch for payment, some artists will do the whole thing and wait until the art is done before payment and then they release the unwatermarked work. That really depends on you and what you feel most comfortable with. If your prices are on the lower side ($5-$20) I don’t think it’d be unreasonable to ask for full payment at once, before or after the art is done, versus splitting it in half.
As for payment method, this is also up to you. I personally send invoices through PayPal, but I know some artists use Ko-Fi, and some may use other apps like Cash App or Venmo. My recommendation is setting up a business account with PayPal. It is a secure and reliable way to pay, and it’s been around for years.

You might have to play around with prices til you find something that works and you’re comfortable with. The more detailed and realistic, the more expensive it’ll be. I recommend taking a look at other artists with a similar cartoon/2D style as you and see what their prices are.

With copyright and contracts, that’s also up to you. You can provide them with watermarked or nonwatermarked images. There are some artists who charge an extra fee to give away all art rights to the client to use as they wish, even for monetary gain. But it’s very important to be clear with what the client can and cannot do with the artwork. For example, it’s okay for them to print it to hang on their wall, but they’re not allowed to resell the art to someone else.

One other thing- this income is taxable so you’ll have to keep track of how much you earn and any fees involved. I always add 6% sales tax to each of my orders to help cover taxes. I’m from the USA though, so this may be different elsewhere. In that case, you’d want to find out your own countries “rules”, so to speak, with this.

If you have any more questions you’re welcome to reach out! I had only opened commissions 5 months ago and I took 1-2 months beforehand just to prepare with examples, setting up my accounts, making sure my conditions were legible, etc. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Everything is so helpful! Thank you so much!

1 Like

You’re welcome! Glad I could help :relaxed:

2 Likes

As stated above, this is completely your own art, and therefore is perfectly fine to sell. (and it looks amazing!) I just wanted to add that with your initial question, as long as none of the details in the cover use episode assets (backgrounds, characters, clothing etc.) then it is completely your own work. If someone requests a cover using their episode characters, they essentially need to look like your own art and Not Episode’s art. However, for things that are Not your work but are edited together using Episode assets, it is okay for you to make edits, you just can’t sell them and claim them as your own when it’s a simple edit.

3 Likes