Is my MC part of the LGBT community?

My main character is heterosexual demiromantic(not demisexual these two are different btw). So my MC is attracted sexually to the opposite gender and she can hook up around BUT she can develop a romantic feeling for that person once they have a deep emotional relationship. She has always been that way. But she isn’t sexually attracted to girls or non-binary people. I saw a post a few months ago that said that even if someone is gayromantic, biromantic, panromantic and etc. if they are heterosexual they have no place in the LGBT community. I don’t know if it’s true. I think they still are part of the lgbt+ community but at the same time, I doubt that a lot. For the person that is part of the LGBT community, I think I am uneducated on some topics but I still have time. Is my MC part of the LGBT community?

2 Likes

No, she is not.

1 Like

that sound like been straight with extra steps

2 Likes

Id say yes, demiromantic people do fall under the lgbt+ community as it is a spectrum of sexualities. I am a heteromantic bisexual. I am sexually attracted to both genders but I can only see myself falling in love with someone of the opposite sex (as of now I think) but I am still part of the LGBT.+ lgbt+ is anything but the “normal” when it comes to sexuality, and that includes demiromanic people. Its like asexual heteromantic people. They may be attracted only to the opposite sex but they are still part of the lgbt+ community

demiromantic and demisexual do have their own flag in the lgbt+ community in case you didn’t know

1 Like

there is a flag for evrything,

just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it’s invalid

dont put word into my mouth,

the girl is straight. now I am pocualsexual, I dont consider that to be part of LGBT either, that dosent mean I think it isn’t valid. evry sexuality is. now I am also pansexual, and well single now, but I have been in straight relationships, some people think my LGBT arent valid because of that

is a straight demisexual welcome in the LGBT, yes
but I dont its should be made a big deal out of. because they are still straight and not trans

i never said that the sexuality is invalid. You said it sounds like being straight with extra steps, which is offensive to demisexual and romantic people. now, asexual people are also aprt of the lgbt+ community, even if they are heteromantic, but that doesn’t make them any less valid (as an example)

i am not comparing them to trans people, but i am saying that demiromantic people aren’t just “straight with extra steps” because there’s a deeper meaning to it. i suggest this article:

4 Likes

Personally I think they are part of the LGBTQ+ community, because they are still attracted to non-binaries and people of the same gender, even if it’s romantic. And I am part of the community, so this is not supposed to be insensitive to anyone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Personally I think you’re both correct in some aspects, demisexual/romantic is still a sexuality regardless of my or other’s opinions. But I agree with the fact that the story shouldn’t focus on intense LGBTQ+ themes, because at the end of the day they aren’t LGBT.

2 Likes

Ahh that sounds so insensitive. I meant strong LGBT themes, sorry.

1 Like

i do agree that the story shouldn’t focus heavily on lgbt if the person is heteromantic because it doesn’t really compare to the discrimination that trans, bisexual, gay, lesbian, etc. people face insociety, but i do consider demiromantic as part of the lgbt because it can be in various aspects like a lesbian demiromantic, etc. i will never understand a demiromantic because i’m not one, but it just sounds offensive to say “stright with extra steps”

4 Likes

Agreed.
I think the main reason that somebody would consider a heterosexual demiromantic person not part of the community is because it kind of looks like they’re looking for attention. There’s been a huge normalization in “acting bi” as a trend, which is very harmful to people who had bad experiences coming out as LGBTQ+ or even people who had good experiences, because it invalidates them. I personally don’t agree with this but if a story with a hetero demiromantic person had strong LGBT themes or intense homophobia, it could definitely be considered offensive.
Again, not saying it’s not a valid sexuality, but this a a reason somebody might think like that <3

2 Likes

now that i think of it, i can see your point as it really not being a part of the lgbt community :thinking: because as a heteromantic person, they would never really face that kind of discrimination, only a misunderstanding.

wait-- does that mean i’m not a bisexual?

It’s not part of the LGBT community (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender), it’s part of the LGBTQ+ community :slight_smile: If you’re bi because it’s trendy, then no, you’re not bisexual, but if you’re bi because you’re attracted to men and women, then you are :slight_smile:

i’m sexually attracted to women for sure, but i’ve never had romantic attraction to women. what does that make me then??

1 Like

Depends on how old you are :slight_smile: If you’ve finished going through puberty then you could be heteroromantic and bi/pansexual (romantically attracted to men and sexually attracted to both/all). If not, then you could be bicurious or questioning. That’s very normal in teens and younger.

1 Like

it’s been 5 years i’m still confused LMAO

1 Like

same honestly but i think that was my internalized homophobia ghuijhgftyughijjh