Is this considered as copying or not?

The worst thing that happened to me, several days ago. I was creating my characters, my main character is named Hailey. I created her details. I started to write my story. Until, one day…I discovered a story called “Body Tangle.” I discovered that the main character had the same name as my main character. I was like “Oh, that’s totally fine-” It wasn’t. Hailey from Body Tangle had similar character details as my character. Causing me to stop writing my story. Please note that I never read Body Tangle and I am stuck if I should continue.
If you are wondering what is stopping me, I just don’t want readers to complain to me saying that I copied the author’s character details and the name. My story and the other author’s story is really different and I really don’t know what to do. My limited choices are…

• Continuing the story.

• Change my character’s details. (Restart the whole story.)

• Ask the author of “Body Tangle” for permission.

(This was probably the worst thing that happened to me, so far. Can you guys help me with this situation? I want to hear your opinions on this. Thanks. :))

8 Likes

Hm I would continue your story but change a LITTLE bit of the character. :blush:

2 Likes

It’s not copting. Episode characters can be design anyway an author like to. It’s not wrong.
Continue your story! Don’t let a tiny issue to stop you!
There are tons of love interest name Ace/Jax and MC with beachwaves hair, so I think you’re fine

7 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about this too much. It is literal coincidence, and it isn’t even surprising, I mean…how many options do you really have, you know? There’s only so many different ways you can design character appearances and stuff.

If it bothers you so much, and it would help you to change the way the character looks, there’s nothing wrong with that. But if you really are attached to the way this character looks as she is, its okay if you don’t want to change her <3 <3

1 Like

Well I don’t think that you were copying in any way. You created your own character, gave her a name, detailed and designed her the way you what her to look, so it’s not really your fault that there was another similar character in a different story. It was just a coincidence.

And honestly I also don’t think there’s any need for you to ask the author of the other story for permission, cause you didn’t purposely copy her in any way. And after all, only your character names and character details are similar to each other, it’s not like you copied the character’s exact same appearance on purpose, and you definitely didn’t steal the same storyline or plot as the other story, so your story is still pretty unique. So I don’t think you’ll have a lot of people complaining to you about it, cause of this.

I think you should continue writing, your plot is original and look at it this way, there are a lot of people around the world who share the same name and may look alike, right? So I think it’s ok for you to just keep on writing.

1 Like

Asking “permission” from the author of Body tangle is stupid because she doesn’t own the characters.

Do not change her details, continue writing the story. No one owns sht except Episode.

5 Likes

Continue your story. I wouldn’t give up on a story that I put my heart into, so you shouldn’t :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s true. It doesn’t matter if another author has the same exact character that you made; continue writing your story. Just saying…

5 Likes

Continue YOUR story! There’s no problem here :grin:

Continue writing! There’s only so many features available and there is bound to be characters that are identical to others! Don’t let that put you down :slight_smile:

I thought this kind of thing only happened to me. Glad to know I’m not the only one with this kind of bad luck :joy:

2 Likes

Honestly, I think you should continue your story. All authors make the characters differently and uniquely, so I don’t think that Jalen copied you. Xo <3