Is this offensive for my story?

I am in the process of writing two stories however in other future stories, can i make a black mc or asian? I am neither black nor asian and i would like to know if its okay to do this.

3 Likes

having bipoc mcs is always preferred for me! i love seeing representation in stories so it’s appreciated. however, if you’re going to write a story with people of colour as mcs- make sure to portray them properly and not based of stereotypes. just write them as people, i like to see bipoc mcs not going through discrimination and only judged on their personality. people of colour go through bullying and racial discrimination is some part of their lives on way or another, so it’s better not to include that at all, (:

7 Likes

absolutely! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: but we should also take that in consideration and not fully ignore it, writing stories wise it’s better to not show racial discrimination!

Sure, you can.
and I am suggesting you to do some research before doing it.

Honestly, I don’t see a problem. It’s just when authors portray their characters very stereotypically, that’s when people get offended.
I’m Asian and there are a lot of stereotypes, like “Oh, they’re really good at math” or stuff like that because although I can get a passing grade in math, I’m not the greatest at it. The one big thing that bothers me is the eyes.
More specifically, these eyes. image image image
Yes, it’s okay for Asian characters to have them, but that doesn’t mean every single person has these eyes. Nobody in my family (my mom is Chinese and my dad is Japanese) has these eyes or anything like that. Personally, I have wide eyes. So does my dad. Yes, I do know some people with eyes like that, and yeah people do have them, but not everyone does.
Second thing. Not every person, especially East Asian, wears clothes that cover up every piece of skin. Some people do, that’s their preference. But I’m okay with not wearing long sleeves in the summer.
Third thing: I know nearly every single Asian episode character (I see at least) is either really innocent and angelic or very tough and aggressive. Personally, I’m definitely not innocent, but in all honesty, I get freaked out from murder novels, so that’s a hard no on the toughness.

As long as you do a bit of research and may sure nothing is offensive (I’d suggest a beta reader for double-checking) then I think you’d do fine!

4 Likes

of course, why not? there’s not problem in that

omg nihongo shaberemasuka? (can you speak japanese???)

1 Like

omg nihongo shaberemasuka? (can you speak japanese???)

Haha, everyone keeps trying to get me to learn it, but I chose French instead.

3 Likes

yeah it’s a fine idea! make sure you find reliable sources for research, and follow the advice of other bipoc writers!

1 Like

I LITERALLY USE THE FIRST 2 EYES AND THE EYES WITH DUMMY THICC EYELASHES FOR ALL OF MY ASIAN CHARACTERS-
I’M SORRY- :sob:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.