Is this OK or not?

I have a question for you, is it ok to use for person who only speaks english and no other language to use Google translate to speak to other people who speak a different language(s)? Or is it rude?

Please share your opinion.

2 Likes

Personally, I think it’s okay to use Google translate. How else can we talk to other languages if we haven’t learnt the language? (:

You’d never meet anyone abroad if you had to speak their language (without google translate) since it’s pretty difficult to learn languages so it would be a nightmare to have to learn a whole language just to talk to someone (:

3 Likes

Ok

1 Like

I think it’s completely fine to use google translate. I wouldn’t consider it rude :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I would be okay with that. My native language is portuguese and it’s very hard to learn, so if someone doesn’t speak it but still goes through the whole process that it’s going to translate everything to talk to me, I’d appreciate that. It’s not hard to look past mistakes from google translate, we can still understand most things even if they’re not translated that well.

3 Likes

Your best option is to ask someone who knows the language fluently to translate it for you.

The problem with google translate is that, while it has gotten better with time, it still cannot recognize various registers of speech, polite vs regular forms, slang or modern vs old sounding phrases/words, regionalisms, etc. All these nuances are what makes the difference in the end between an obviously automatic translation and a well done one.

So, it isn’t disrespectful if google translate is truly your only option. But if you have access to people who know the language you need (irl or online), then I’d just find it lazy if you decided to use google translate regardless.

EDIT: I misread your final question! All I said above applies to stories or texts where a simultaneous conversation isn’t happening.

So, if you go abroad and need to talk to the locals in other than English, yes, definitely google translate can help a lot! It’s not gonna be perfect, but I think a native speaker will be able to understand you just fine. I don’t find it rude at all.

2 Likes

I think it’s totally okay to use Google translate. If you don’t understand you’re not going to attempt their language when you don’t know it because that’s been ruder right?
So yes it’s totally fine to use Google translate, you also sjldnt have to learn a whole language for someone unless you want to so I say yes why not use Google translate and why should the other person think it’s rude that you do?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.