Is this point system too complicated?

Hey guys!

I’m drafting out a new story to take away from the stress of my published one - and I love the idea I’m going with, so i’d like to publish it sometime in the near future.

I wanted to try and incorporate points, so that choices can be meaningful - but I think i’ve made it too complex, as I wanted more than just ‘good’ or ‘bad’ points.

Firstly - the points system between MC and general characters/interactions are different from those with LI.

Side characters/general : MC can gain naughty (as in rude/bad/not to nice) and nice points - depending on whichever points the reader has more of, they’ll determine different interactions in the future - for some more important relationships, this will also determine if they gain points with a character.

For MC/LI - there’s deviance (bold actions) and sweet points which only determines interactions with the LI. No points are gained with the LI individually.

Is this too complex? or am I overthinking it?

let me know your thoughts!!

No, once you’ve sussed out how to use the points system… it’s actually much easier than you think.

I have stories with three or four different points systems, which can sometimes require almost 10 different branches, to deal with all the different outcomes… [which means you need to put in a lot of additional time and effort, I can’t lie] but it all works out fine!
So as long as you know what you’re doing… and you’re okay with creating all the different branches, and are prepared for all the extra effort which is required, then I think you should totally go for it! :blush:

Stories that use a points system are a lot more fun to read.

Okay! it wasn’t me i was so worried about, it was more about if the readers would dislike it or not:) but your imput helps!

Ah, okay… well speaking from a readers perspective, rather than that of a writer. I personally enjoy reading stories with a point system… more than those without one! :blush:

But only if the author doesn’t push you to make certain choices. For example: If the answer to the choice is obvious, because the author clearly wants you to choose one of the choices over another… then I don’t like it.
I don’t enjoy stories that basically throw out choices, and pretend like you actually have a choice… when in reality, you don’t. Because you’ll be punished for choosing the option that you want to pick, rather than what the author wants you to pick! Those type of choices suck! :rofl: :joy:

Yeahhh that’s what I’m trying to avoid!
But tbh the way I’m going about it, I don’t think it’s going to turn out in that way cause the choices are basically about how the MC acts, and it’s really all about how the reader wants to talk to certain people.

I haven’t got it worked out to a T yet, and I may scrap it if it gets too silly

The way you’re doing it actually seems perfect… I think a lot of people would enjoy that. Good luck with the new story! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you:)

1 Like

I agree, my current story has a few different point systems and it works once you figure out exactly how to use them! The only thing I would say is make sure you explain the points system to the readers and always have an FAQ at the beginning or end of your story for readers to see the explanation of the points again

1 Like

Already done! Thank you x x

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.