Is this saying problematic?

EDIT: I had to change the title bc ppl and Episode flagged my post bc of it lmao…

Hi! It’s been a pretty long time since i posted something so idk if it’s already been discussed but i was reading this story when the MC who is a lesbian said this:

Im not queer but i follow and often read things about homophobia and i often read that “lipstick lesbian” is pretty disliked by the community bc i think the term + flag was created by a man ? so i think that this statement in this story is pretty lesbophobic but i’m not sure, so can lesbian tell me if i’m being wrong or not ?

4 Likes

Lipstick Lesbian Flag

The “pink” lesbian flag consists of six shades of red and pink colors and a white bar in the center. The original design, known as the “lipstick lesbian” flag, includes a red kiss and was introduced in the weblog This Lesbian Life in 2010. Both the “pink” and “lipstick lesbian” flags represent “homosexual women who have a more feminine gender expression”. The original flag has not been widely adopted; however, its non-kiss variant attracted more use.

The term “lipstick lesbian” has been met with controversy. Some authors have commented that the term lipstick lesbian is commonly used broadly to refer to feminine bisexual women or to heterosexual women who temporarily show romantic or sexual interest in other women to impress men; for example, Jodie Brian, Encyclopedia of Gender and Society, Volume 1 (2009), states, “A common depiction of lipstick lesbianism includes conventionally attractive and sexually insatiable women who desire one another but only insofar as their desire is a performance for male onlookers or a precursor to sex with men.”

The term has also been used as a derogatory term from within the community. For example, a more masculine identifying/expressing lesbian might call a more feminine identifying/expressing lesbian “not a real lesbian, just a lipstick lesbian,” implying that their sexuality is not “complete” because they still adhere to societal expectations of femininity.

Source - LGBTQIA+ Flags and Symbols - Old Dominion University

10 Likes

I think thread is in the wrong category, it’s supposed to be in the Episode Fan Community

3 Likes

omg u right i didnt saw, thanks for informing me!!

3 Likes

Your welcome

2 Likes

wow thanks for ur very detailed and educational response, very informative :pray:

5 Likes

Is lesbophobia a word? I’ve never heard of it. I’d say homophobic.

3 Likes

Yes it is

3 Likes

Oh that’s nice to know!

3 Likes

Ok

2 Likes

That’s interesting

2 Likes

I mean, I’m lesbian and I think it’s fine. I jokingly call myself a lipstick lesbian since, while into girls, I’m still very feminine and people generally assume I’m straight. I think it’s fine to use in your story. I think a lot of people have mixed feelings about the term, though.

5 Likes

I think this is something older lesbians may feel more strongly about. Me, personally, I’ve only ever heard the term used when talking about the “futch scale” (eyeroll). What’s the context of the scene?

5 Likes

the LI interest asked the MC what was her sexuality and this is what she responded !

4 Likes

yeah it is - the creator of the lipstick lesbian flag excluded butches, nonbinary lesbians and was very transphobic as well. it’s an outdated term itself.

5 Likes

now i remember that’s what i heard about the creator (transphobic part)!!
i knew it was weird

4 Likes

Omg don’t forget the xenophobia against Asian people, she was just an all around nasty individual :nauseated_face:

But @juicywap yeah, I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and see if maybe the author had included some sort of a cultural lesson. I don’t know the full context or the author (maybe they’re a lesbian themself), but it rings of insensitivity to me. Just my gut reaction.

6 Likes

oh for sure! thanks for adding that ^

5 Likes

IDK if anyone considers it lesbophobic, but it is a bit outdated. Feminine wlw typically call themselves femmes.

3 Likes