Is this term okay?

Okay so in my story one of my MC’s is going to call the other MC “four eyes” as she wears glasses but not in a horrible way just as a playful nickname for her. Buttt would you say that people who read that story and wear glasses would find that offensive or something?

I just want to make sure it won’t upset anyone uno.

I wear glasses, and to be honest, it isn’t offensive to me at least but it may be to others because I haven’t seen or heard anyone else around me being called “four eyes”.

I’ve never heard anyone call me “four eyes”, before. BUT, wait for others’ responses. And tbh, it’s stupid to call someone “four eyes” just because they wear glasses to SEE, properly.

3 Likes

ik i wear glasses too but it’s just how my character expresses love to her friend in a way if that makes any sense at all

1 Like

Oh like the character is joking around with the MC?

1 Like

yeh it’s just going to be a running inside joke between the two

1 Like

I would say it would alright as long as u show it as joke. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

As long as it is a joke, you should be okay. :thinking: :thinking: But, still wait for others’ response.

1 Like

yeh hopefully just don’t want people to take it the wrong way. x

1 Like

thanks will do x

Yeah I see what u mean. What’s the sentence, what does the character say? It might seem not a joke because of the way it is said. :two_hearts:

1 Like

so just in the planning stage of the episode and haven’t figured out what she’s going to say after but here it is;

But if it helps basically the story is about 3 complete opposites who get put to work together for an assignment and end up becoming best friends.
The three girls are
The athlete- Sami
The mean/popular girl- Violet
The nerd- Amira

So it was going to just end up being Violets nickname for Amira thruout the story

1 Like

also just seen that it said 11 11 :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
sorry lmao that was random

1 Like

I think that’s alright, it adds fun & life to your story! I don’t see anything wrong with it as a person who wears glasses. :two_hearts:

1 Like

ah okay great thankyou, just needed to double check uno. :heart:thanks for your help babe x

1 Like

It’s good u checked, I’m glad I could help. :two_hearts:

1 Like

I don’t wear glasses all the time but I do use them now and then and I don’t find it offensive.

If you are worried maybe add a warning? Eg

Some banter used by the characters may seem offensive to some, please do not take it personally as this is just the characteristics of the characters behaviour

1 Like

I personally don’t find it that offensive, but the term has the connotation that the person wearing glasses is ‘physically deficient’ and it’s mostly used in a negative manner. I’d honestly find using the insult as the character’s nickname throughout the story to be overkill (unless she literally had four eyes, of which she doesn’t), but I wouldn’t care for it being used once or twice. That’s just my opinion though. :person_shrugging:

If you don’t get what I mean, it’s like one character calling another a wimp or scaredy-cat throughout an entire story, at some point the insult goes from being playful (or nasty depending on the tone and intention) to getting old or over-used.

2 Likes

I wear glasses and it is not really offensive. I actually find it funny tbh :joy:

1 Like

It depends offensive is diffrent for people, if they where bullied with it then it would feel offensive. Words have the meaning we feel about them.

Just examole the n-word we all know its offensive, but why it just means black. Its offensive because people have given it the meaning that its bad and an insult.

A lot of things seen as offensive isnt in it self but people have made it offensive because they used them to hurt and reducible others.

1 Like

I wear glasses too, and I don’t find it offensive.

BUT:

1 Like