"It's just a story" - Your Thoughts?

I don’t think we have to start censoring themes to improve this. I think sometimes it’s more important to consider the implications than to allow freedom, especially on an app like this. However, I don’t think there’s any theme that should be banned or censored. Rather, I think authors should be held accountable for HOW they represent these themes. It’s important to show abuse in stories, but allowing glorified representations of abuse is a lot more dangerous than trying to put a stop to that.

Freedom of expression should never be at the expense of safety and security.

2 Likes

An app like this… meaning an app that gives authors an opportunity to write and share stories in a unique way. This app was not made for preteens, it was made for a variety of ages. It just so happens to have drawn in a younger crowd. Props and clothing provided by Episode make it apparent that certain mature themes are allowed and supported. Authors represent their stories the way they see fit. And as long as they aren’t breaking the guidelines or being offensive in regards to certain serious subjects (rape, abuse, racism, etc), then they should have the choice to take certain liberties. The splashes that indicate mature themes, options to skip mature content and the PSA messages that derails the reader from imitating actions in the story are steps in the right direction. I believe many authors are being as sensitive as they can to the younger generations needs.

1 Like

No. An app like this meaning an app aimed at and marketed towards young, impressionable teenagers. Please don’t put words in my mouth. How can we have a civil, honest and mature discussion otherwise? It’s not a coincidence that Episode draws in younger crowds. It’s completely deliberate and has been for the 6 years I’ve been on here. Actually, if you read the guidelines, they are actually in agreement with me. They clearly state that difficult themes should not glorify bad aspects of those issues. It is more important to make sure young people understand that abusive relationships, dating teachers, blackmail and other themes are not good or cool than letting anyone say anything they want. People may be free to write what they want to write, but as I said at the beginning of this discussion, stories are not just stories and therefore authors are responsible for how they represent these themes.

Because as I have already said, it’s not about what themes you put in your story. It’s about how you represent them and what you make seem to be good behaviour.

2 Likes

Characters can be addicts or addicts can be referenced provided the representation is respectful, contextually appropriate and doesn’t glorify being an addict.

Physical or sexual abuse can referenced provided the representation is respectful, contextually appropriate and doesn’t glorify being a victim / survivor.

Themes of suicide and self harm are allowed on the Episode platform, but must be presented respectfully, maturely and in a non-glorifying way.

2 Likes

When did I put words in your mouth? I feel like I’m being civil.

When you attempted to explain what my words “an app like this” meant on your terms.

No I meant that that’s what the app is. You said on the comment before “on an app like this” and so I added what I interrupt this app as being which as I said:
that gives authors an opportunity to write and share stories in a unique way.

That’s not putting words in your mouth.

“Meaning” would be used when defining the parameters - if you’re defining the words I use, that’s putting words in my mouth.

Incorrect. Putting words in your mouth imply that I tried to make it seem as if that is what you were saying or inferring. I did neither. I took what you said and expressed my opinion based off of it.

That’s what “meaning” means. Defining my words makes it seem like that’s what I’m saying. If you’re defining the words that someone else is using, you are inherently putting words in their mouth because you are implying that that is the definition of the words they’re using, irrespective of what they meant by it.

Wouldn’t it be enough for me to say that that wasn’t my intention?

If it wasn’t your intention then that’s fair enough, but it did certainly appear that way.

Regardless, an app aimed at young people (because it always has been aimed at them) is one in which writers are completely accountable for the messages they put into their stories. There can be bad boy stories that show girls that bad boys are not cool and hot, but rather that they are abusive - or stories that show that the most attractive quality about this bad boy is the fact that he changes for both himself and the protagonist when he realises the error of his ways. Then there can be, and are, a bunch of stories which explain away and attempt to justify the bad treatment of said bad boys “because they’re hot” or “they’re nice sometimes”. That is a poor representation of bad boys and if it has been fed to young people at such a large scale (or even us older people. We aren’t immune), they’ll likely start to be affected by this.

That’s why it is completely silly to pretend that Episode stories are “just” stories. They are so much more than that and should be treated as such. I have never, neither in this thread nor in my blog post, advocated for the systemic censorship of works on Episode. Rather, I am advocating for people to understand the power that they have as a writer on Episode and that they have a responsibility to not portray things that they think or know are wrong as good.

2 Likes

Very well, then I shall leave you to it.

To use a more extreme example (that I really, really hope everyone agrees on, or I’m gon’ be disappointed, son) to drive the point home:
It’s okay to write stories that talk about Nazis and portray Nazis.
It’s not okay to write stories that glorify and celebrate Nazis (or what they did).

Reading a story like that isn’t going to make everyone who reads it go out and join a neo-Nazi group, but it can subtly influence the thoughts of an already susceptible person (e.g. a teen with a racist family).

3 Likes

Interestingly, I was discussing a story with someone yesterday that used to have a whole cast of zombie villains with dark skin and pretty much all the zombie apocalypse survivors as white and they did say “It’s just a story”. I thought I would just mention that here. It’s kinda insane to me that someone can have that reaction to an awful representation of black people, whether intentional or unintentional.

1 Like

Closing due to one month of inactivity :slight_smile: