JemU776's Help Thread

Hey Jem,

I’m having a problem with two things and was wondering if you could help me?

My first problem is that I’m trying out using overlays for the first time, I want my overlay to appear in the top corner of the screen and then fade out. How do I code this, this is my code so far.

EXT. BACKGROUND NAME- DAY with OVERLAY NAME to 0.712 0.712 in zone 1

I’m getting the error ‘wrong syntax of specifying coordinates’, why is this? By the way my overlay hasn’t been approved yet.

Thank you

So, for this background, it would be:

Putting the numbers in there:

INT. BACKGROUND NAME - DAY with OVERLAYNAME to 1.0 196 223 in zone 1 at layer 1

See where the numbers go? The scale goes first, and the shift second.

Opacity:

Example:

@overlay OVERLAYNAME opacity 0 in 1.5

(this means the overlay will fade out in 1.5 seconds). T stands for time, in seconds.

I recommend reading more here: DARA’S GUIDE: Overlays

P.S These are what the symbols stand for:

1 Like

Thank you for this, I’m going to try it out tomorrow.

Also happy birthday! :grinning:

2 Likes

I tried it and she still slides through the overlay.I’m going to send the video on Instagram.

Is your overlay covering part of a background? Just wondering if it’s in the right place, she could be sliding in front of the overlay if it’s been misplaced in the scene :thinking:

Yep, got it, don’t worry, we will solve this, JemU776 does not back down from any challenge #badass :sunglasses:

2 Likes

AM TRYING TO MOVE THE CAMERA FROM LEGS TO HEAD ON THIS COUPLE BUT WHEN I PRESS DIRECTING HELPER AND THEN ZOOM HELPER I CANNOT MANAGE TO FIND THE COORDINATES OF THE SPOT I WANT ITS LIKE THE BACKGROUND CHANGES IN ANOTHER ZONE

@zoom reset
INT. BLUE SCHOOL HALLWAY - DAY
@zoom on 12 0 to 231% in 0
@SKYLAR changes into SCHOOLdefault
@NICHOLAS changes into SCHOOL1default
@KAREN changes into SCHOOLdefault
@set hsl 0 -100 0 no_colorize with blendMode NORMAL to 100%
&SKYLAR spot 1.280 -66 94
@KAREN spot 0.974 -305 189 in zone 3 AND KAREN faces right AND KAREN moves to layer 2
@NICHOLAS spot 0.974 -241 200 in zone 3 AND NICHOLAS faces left AND NICHOLAS moves to layer 1
@SKYLAR walks to spot 1.165 140 94
@pan to zone 2
@pan to zone 3
@NICHOLAS is kiss_makeout_start
@KAREN is kiss_makeout_start_rear AND KAREN faces left
@pan to zone 3

You don’t use the command @pan when you’re trying to do the head to toe.

You would something like this:
&zoom on 14 0 to 231% in 0
@pause for 1.1 - this optional
&zoom on 12 0 to 231% in 0

And repeat. Use & if you’re using narration. If not you use the @ symbol
Also, you need to change the zoom numbers. Those were random.

1 Like

Check out: HOW TO: Zoom from the Feet to the Head (Full Body)

Cut to the zone they are in, write:

NARR
Pause.

Then move the camera down to their legs and note the coordinates for the zoom. Copy them and put it into your script. Then move the camera up to their faces, note these coordinates, put it into your script and add seconds to the zoom so that it goes all the way up from their feet to their face.

When I try to move the camera up to their faces the characters disappear

Your characters KAREN and NICHOLAS are off screen. You’ve panned to zone 3 but they’re actually in zone 2 because you’ve used negative numbers. After you have panned to zone 3, go to spot helper and drag them to the right, you’ll see them move into zone 3 on screen and re-do their spot numbers. It should work :blush:

1 Like

thank you so muchhhhh :heart_eyes:

1 Like

HEY SORRY FOR ASKING AGAIN MAYBE IT’S STUPID BUT AM NEW HERE SO I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE TRANSITION EVEN THOUGH I WRITE @transition fade out AND THEN THE NEXT BACKGROUND WHEN I PREVIEW IT DOES THE TRANSITION AND THEN BACK TO THE ORIGINAL BACKGROUND AND THEN IT CHANGES TO THE SECOND ONE

Move the reset hsl to the line before the transition-

&reset hsl in 1
@transition fade out

Nice catch Jade, I didn’t even look at the coordinates properly, just saw “AM TRYING TO MOVE THE CAMERA FROM LEGS TO HEAD ON” and jumped in with an automatic response, not good :flushed: Sorry about that @ioannag :sweat_smile:

1 Like

no worriesss

Do you know how to make locked choices (make a choice in grey color and with a lock on it)

The locked choice is always grey. Here is a thread on how to do that.

2 Likes

Is there anyway to get this to work in a script?

choice (hair) [shouldPaginate: YES]

I’m trying to remember a choice while allowing the choices to automatically separate into pages.

This should help: HOW TO: Use [shouldPaginate: YES] :heart:

1 Like