JemU776's Help Thread

You seem really awesome and you have helped me in the past but i’m having the same brightness issue with the changing of opacity of an overlay, it is not with the background it is created afterwards (as i have been doing thanks to your wonderful post) but for some reason this is happening (i will add that it hasn’t happened with any other overlay and background i have used this with). Please help if you are able!

Here’s my code

INT. ROUGE KITCHEN - DAY

@cut to zone 3

&overlay LOGAN KITCHEN OVERLAY create
&overlay LOGAN KITCHEN OVERLAY scales to 1.000 1.000 in zone 3 in 0
&overlay LOGAN KITCHEN OVERLAY to layer 2
&overlay LOGAN KITCHEN OVERLAY opacity 1 in 0

@DAD spot 0.695 60 289 in zone 3 AND DAD is tinker_stand_neutral_loop_rear AND DAD faces left AND EMILY spot 0.803 281 333 in zone 3 AND EMILY is idle AND EMILY faces left AND LOGAN spot 1.280 -79 -3 in zone 1 AND LOGAN faces right

@EMILY moves to layer -1
@LOGAN moves to layer 4
@DAD moves to layer 3

@LOGAN walks to spot 1.280 176 0 in zone 3 AND LOGAN is walk_neutral_loop

LOGAN (talk_neutral_loop_rear)
Hey Dad.

&LOGAN is idle_rear
@DAD faces right
DAD (talk_neutral)
Hey Buddy, what are you up to today?

@overlay LOGAN KITCHEN OVERLAY opacity 0.6 in 1

@pause for a beat

@LOGAN is idle_rear AND LOGAN faces left

@LOGAN is idle_rear AND LOGAN faces right

LOGAN (idle_rear)
(She's still here.)

As soon as it goes to 0.6 it turns bright.

ok, so i fixed it by tinkering around a bit, for some reason the ‘create’ made it bright but using ‘with’ worked :exploding_head: complete opposite of the first time i had the brightness issue, :woman_shrugging: who knows…

Glad you solved it but if you test on the app and the brightness issue appears, you can send a support ticket to Episode regarding the error.

1 Like

Hey guys, logged in just to say I won’t be active much here. Between studying for courses, my part time job and volunteering at the hospital in my free time (as well as writing my novels/comics which I’m aiming to publish before 2025), I’m exhausted (this week, I ran on a 2 hour sleep also) and I have a lot to do. In addition, I logged out of my IG for a while so it won’t be distracting. Thanks for reading this if you do and have a great day. - Message from a tired soul whose brain power is all over the place and feet hurt. :heart:

P.S oui, I’m even tired to type (did not enjoy writting this and sorry for mistakes)… :heart:

3 Likes

I did test both pc and phone app versions but thanks!

Hi :wave: I’m a new author and I’m having trouble with my script and I need some help please. Here’s my script:

what I’m trying to do is get it to pan to zone 3 while my characters are already there. But then when I go to another scene and go back to the previous scene to preview it, it doesn’t show at all it just skips it all together, what could I be doing wrong please help. Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

on line 1081, you should add something like:

@pause for 5

(in this case 5 seconds). you can read info on pausing a scene here:
HOW TO: Pause A Scene

When you’re showing dancing scenes and no dialogue in the scene, it’s best to pause on the scene for a few seconds before you move on.

Another thread that will be of interest to you: HOW TO: Stage Direction (remember to test on the app for the best results, first play through, reset, then play through again)

Hi! I don’t why it says error. I’ve looked things up and nothing was useful. It says that @pause was the problem. Thank you for your time!

A sandwich is just the right thing!
(ik i need the at sign but im new so it wont let me post it)
add Panini Sandwich Bread Brown to ACTOR 1
@ACTOR 1 walks to upscreen left
ACTOR 1 (pickup_object_neutral)
@pause for 0.5
ACTOR 1 (eat_food_hand_neutral)
Mmmhhmm
This sandwich is delicous!

When you’re doing:

CHAR (animation) you always need to have dialogue underneath, always. Example:

CHAR (animation)
Bla bla bla…

If you just want the character to do an animation without talking it’s:

@CHAR is animation

Having it occur at the same time as other actions (using & or starts):

&CHAR is animation
@CHAR starts animation

You can read more here:

So:

@ACTOR 1 is pickup_object_neutral

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Bump :blue_heart: :sparkling_heart:

Bump :revolving_hearts:
OK, so I saw this topic was created on August 6, 2018, oh man, it feels it was ages ago, time flies by so fast :100:

so I was trying to do @///Dara.Amarie looping bg thing and… it’s not looping right I resized the MB and made it 1183 by 700 but… idk what to do

#Here’s an example code from Dara using different time (in seconds):

EXT. BLUE - DAY with THEATRE_HALL to 1.625 0 0 in zone 1 at layer -5

&overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 create from THEATRE_HALL and overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 opacity 1 in 0

&overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 scales to 1.625 1.625 in 0 and overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 shifts to 0 0 in zone 2 in 0 and overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 to layer -6

&overlay THEATRE_HALL shifts to -640 0 in 2 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL shifts to -960 0 in 1 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL shifts to 0 0 in zone 2 in 0 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL shifts to 0 0 in zone 2 in 2 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL shifts to 0 0 in 1 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL shifts to 0 0 in 0 loop INFINITE times

&overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 shifts to 0 0 in zone 2 in 2 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 shifts to 0 0 in 1 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 shifts to 0 0 in 0 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 shifts to -640 0 in 2 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 shifts to -960 0 in 1 THEN overlay THEATRE_HALL_2 shifts to 0 0 in zone 2 in 0 loop INFINITE times

#Dara’s guide on using the create command:

The problem is your overlay’s name is THEATRE_HALL and you duplicated the overlay, naming it the exact same thing. This will be confusing for the script. So when duplicating overlay name it something else like THEATRE_HALL_2 and treat it as a separate overlay.

1 Like

Thank you so much… I’ll fix it

I appreciate this so much :heart:

1 Like

Hey Jen! I’m having trouble with my game menu:( I’d appreciate if you’d help, no worries tho!!

I’m trying to work on a interactive outro game menu.

I tried doing it myself and the problem is, it says that my labels don’t correspond for some reason? My aim is to let the readers tap on whichever text and get them to that destination! I have everything situated to where it should be, with the exception of a template. Do you know of a template I could use?

Of course, I’ll help, I have a meeting at 7 to attend but after it’s over, I’ll be right back on over here to have a look :yay: :100:

1 Like

#Here’s an example of coding a tappable menu (for this example, when reader clicks on each option, they go to a new background so no need to worry about creating multiple overlays error and if they pick credits or background characters, they are then taken back to label end_chapter (if you have overlay animations, they will be viewed again, to avoid this, all you do is place overlays in the desired positions you like for them to be and place a label there-don’t forget to place the background if you are switching to new backgrounds). Ending the episode doesn’t really need a new background but I did it anyway for this example. Also, for the tappable, overlays you want tapped, you use:

label end_chapter

INT. BACKGROUND 1

#place overlays

tappable
“CREDITS”{

goto watch_credits

}”BACKGROUND CHARACTERS”{

goto bg_characters

}”DONE”{

goto finish

}

label watch_credits

INT. BACKGROUND 2

#credits here

goto end_chapter

label bg_characters

INT. BACKGROUND 3

#bg characters here

goto end_chapter

label finish

INT. BACKGROUND 4

#ending credits

#I used new backgrounds when picking an option but you don’t have to however if you don’t switch background, and you don’t want overlays in the way, you’d have to clear them and create them again when going back to the menu label. Also, if you decide to not clear the overlays (so even if you pick each option, you leave the overlays coded in your scene and don’t switch background) then you can’t go back to label end_chapter because then you’d be creating the overlays again. Instead you’d put a label lower, right over the word tappable (for example label menu). Then instead of goto end_chapter for background characters and credits option, you’d have goto menu. And as a bonus, you can even throw in an “Are you sure?” choice for when the reader clicks on the done overlay.

#Example main menu: 🌈 CODE: Making A Main Menu :prideheart: (can copy code in story and follow along, did not account for tablet users)
#labels and gotos: 🖤 HOW TO: Labels and Gotos 🖤

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I’ll try it out next time I’m coding:)))

1 Like