JUDGES NEEDED: recruiting judges for community writing contest

this is so exciting! i’d love to be a judge but i’m planning on entering the contest :))

2 Likes

We actually have each other categories, but we will consider your descriptions for the rubric! Thank you for the suggestions <3

3 Likes

Thank you for pointing this out! It will definitely factor into our scoring and it’s also interesting to learn, I had no idea of those different spellings!

2 Likes

YAY! Glad to hear it!

2 Likes

Oh yeah spelling is so different for me as well, I was born in Canada so our spelling is a bit different. In Canada, we go as “favourite” and in America as “favorite” It is so cool but trippy because I get confused at times :joy: My Grammarly is auto-correcting the favorite into favourite rn :sob: :joy:

5 Likes

Yess that’s my favourite one :wink: People in my class got marks taken off for spelling it the American way - I’m Canadian too haha.

2 Likes

Well, you know what they say…

British English and American English have many of those @r.lewis_writes it’s also why people who are using British English have marked lot of “spelling errors” in the portal. Meanwhile, it’s just the way words are spelled for them.
Kinda annoying ngl, but it’s good to be aware, especially when someone tries to persuade you that it’s mistake, but it’s not. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Omg slay :canada: haha they gotta represent Canadaaa :joy:

^ I agree I get annoyed with too many spelling errors with using British English in portal

This is me all the time reassuring people who do reviews/readers tell me that my spelling is wrong and I’m like noo it is the way it is spelled for me :sob: :raised_hand:t4:

1 Like

I feel your pain. In Europe, we learn British English in schools/at uni [at least from what I heard from other Europeans]. Then, if you transition to AE it’s mostly because of work/influenced by tv series/movies/social media. But it’s a constant battle with stubborn people :rofl:

1 Like

You know the struggle haha :joy: but I always think British English is more fancy (no hate to AE) But yeah it is so influenced in those places you mentioned. So true especially with the accents when saying simple words - it turns into World War 3 :sob:

1 Like

Hello! I am interested in helping with the contest, helping you guys judge. My instagram is @Rockythewriter I used to review contest stories like two years ago. And now I’m trying to dabble back into it. I would love to judge this one.

May I make a suggestion?

If you don’t want the judges to be overwhelmed by needing to read a huge amount of stories, you could assign a few entries to each judge so they can go through a precursory search to see if each story even qualifies by the rubric (theme matching, grammar, etc). Then once you’ve filtered out stories that don’t match, the other judges can read the remaining stories and vote (or however you plan to do it).

I mostly suggest this because it would be, for the lack of a better term, a waste of time and passes if every judge was to read a story with, say, no match to the theme. (But of course it depends on how many entries you get.)

Just my opinion as someone who makes a reading list for almost every official contest + had a story reviews thread. (Feel free to disregard.)

3 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion! This is an interesting idea, I will bring this up to the other developers. Our current plan is to read all stories, but if there are too many, we will limit it to stories with 100 reads or more.

1 Like

Hi! I’d love to be a judge! Do you have a rough timeline for the contest?

I think they’re still figuring the specifics out. OP mentioned they’d make an announcement once the contest begins, so you should see a post when that happens. : )

Edit: Didn’t realize you’d asked about judging. The post title will likely change when they’ve recruited enough judges.

2 Likes

Hey! We would be happy to potentially have you on our judging team! I will private message you some information.
We aren’t sure on the exact timeline on when the contest will be announced, but it’s looking like it’ll be between a week or two.

1 Like

I love the idea! Would love to be a part of the judge. Let me know if you’re still looking for judges :smiling_face:
My author instagram in case it’s better for contacting: @episode.bela

1 Like