Just a curious question... About 3 little boxes

I hope this is the right category, if not I am so sorry!

so I just realized when I clicked control F i saw these 3 little boxes on the upper right of the search bar and I was wonder what you can use them for.
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 11.15.48 AM
If my explaining sucks I am so sorry here is a picture if it helps LOL

1 Like

You can search for a certain word and then replace all of them with a different one I think

1 Like

wait whatā€¦ I am sorry I dont understand LOL

1 Like

so, say you had written ā€œinformationā€ 8 times in your script, and wanted to change all to ā€œknowledge,ā€ you could search for ā€œinformationā€ in the top box, click on all, and then type ā€œknowledgeā€ into the bottom box and click on all. This would replace all ā€œinformationā€ with the word ā€œknowledgeā€

1 Like

oh yeah I know how to use that I just want to know that the 3 little boxes in the upper right corner do

1 Like

oh LOL my b, yea i have no clue i didnā€™t even see those šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

1 Like

LOL no your fine ~ !!!
yeah I legit just saw them when I was using it and I was like is this new?

1 Like

I think the Aa one lets you decide if you want the replaceable word to be case sensitive or not, but I have no idea about the other two!

1 Like

ohh that would make sence I would have to try it out~!

1 Like

The ā€œWhole Word Searchā€, or the /b button, highlights the word youā€™ve typed in as a singular. For example, take the words FEMALE and MALE. If you typed ā€œmaleā€ in the ā€œfind and replaceā€ box without selecting the /b button, it would highlight the word MALE, but it would also highlight MALE thatā€™s in FEMALE. But if you repeated the process and selected the /b button, then only the word MALE would be highlighted, ignoring the MALE in FEMALE.

Without using WWS

Using WWS

The ā€œCase Sensitive Searchā€, or the Aa button, is just that. Case Sensitive. It depends on how youā€™ve written the word. Is it all lower cases? Uppercases? In the example below, I typed in ā€œcaps lockā€ as all lower cases. Without CSS, both the capitalised and lower-cased words were highlighted. But with CSS only the lower-cased words were highlighted.

Without using CSS

Using CSS

The ā€œRegExp Searchā€, or .* button is a bit unclear to me. Thereā€™s not much I know about regular expressions, but itā€™s about using special characters (such as ., *, ^, $, and more) to search for specific words. To quote Wikipedia, ā€œa regular expression is a sequence of characters that specifies a search patternā€. In my example, Iā€™ll be using the wildcard expression, which is a point (or a series of points) that acts as a placeholder for other letters. If you were to type the letters ā€œomā€, only those two letters will be highlighted. But if you typed ā€œ. .omā€ (without the space in-between the points) and select the ā€œRegExp Searchā€ button, the two points would be placeholders for two other letters which would then return words like zoom, prom, room, etc. But itā€™ll only highlight four letters (so for freedom, only ā€œedomā€ will be highlighted).

Using regex

I personally havenā€™t gone through all the regex symbols so I donā€™t know if all of them work in the Writerā€™s Portal.

Here's a little more about special characters in regex

These are all from personal experiences, so Iā€™m not 100% sure if Iā€™m accurate here.

5 Likes

OHHHHHH
that would have been so useful if I new them sooner!!!
Thank you!

1 Like