Labels inside labels? choices within choices? help!

Hey there! So, I recently found out you can’t have labels inside choices, right? I found that out when I wanted to let the reader choose which outfit they were going to wear for bed, but that was inside a choice in which they went for bed.
I’ve already fixed that issue.
My question is, can I have labels inside labels?
Like, when you are directing a story in which the reader can choose if they want to date girls or boys, you have to put a label there so they can go to the girls’ story or the boys’ story. If I have another choice as big as that one for the reader to choose (as in, a choice that completely changes the storyline altogether like this one, of course) I’m gonna have to use a label too. Is it possible to do that or not at all? I mean, if I already have a label there, can I put another one?

I’ve talked a little bit about this in another topic, but that was before I actually started working on my story, and this is kinda worrying me right now because if I can’t do that, my story just won’t work the way I want it to. :frowning_face:

Further information: In this story I’m working on, the MC decides to move. So, the reader can choose from 3 locations where they want to move to. This completely changes the storyline. I don’t want to give any spoilers, so let’s just say that the reader can choose whether they want to go live in a farm, a beach or a big city. This is a big choice! And they need different episodes within the episodes. (Is that understandable?) So I’m gonna need to use labels.

I think for the script to not mess up things you’d have to make more labels, but the episode is gonna have A LOT more lines. :sweat_smile:
Example:
choice (sexuality)
“Boys” {
goto boys
}
“Girls” {
goto girls
}

label girls
choice (where_to _live) {
“Location 1” {
goto girls_location1
}
“Location2” {
goto girls_location2
}
And so on… I hope it’s understandable.

1 Like

But it may be actually easier to work with gains here :thinking:

1 Like

Please, do tell! This is my first story and I’m working SO HARD to make this right. Ooo, I’m nervous

1 Like

Well, I figured since the romance scenes are not gonna take whole episodes (I think) it may be better to have a gain. Then every time you mention the love interest or want to have a romantic scene, you do ifs. I think it saves a lot of time and also script lines :sweat_smile:

Example:

choice (sexuality)
“Boys” {
gain boys
}“Girls” {
gain girls
}

if (sexuality is girls) {
MC
I’d love to meet a nice girl someday…
}else {
MC
I’d love to meet a nice guy someday…
}

And so on.
You could also do this for the location choice but I think it makes more sence to have labels for that. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you so much! If I have any other questions about this in the future may I ask you, if it’s not a bother? I don’t really know anyone here since I’m new and I’m sure you know a lot more about coding than I do, haha. But, if you’re busy, just let me know and I’ll be off your hair. Thanks a lot again!

1 Like

Sure, it’s no problem at all. I’m happy to help whenever I can. Feel free to dm me on Instagram when you face some other problems. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: --> @martini.episode

1 Like

I guess I’m late, but short answer is yes, you can have labels within labels.

Or, to be precise, a label is only one line, nothing can be “in” it because it’s just “label bedtime” and that’s it haha, the text after is just what comes after the label. :+1:

Also, the legendary coding queen has a template for choosing the gender of your LI:

1 Like

Aw, thanks! Great! I’ll follow you in a minute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Yes! I saw that! This template is awesome and also what made me come up with this question, haha. She puts a line for “Girls story line here”, but I’m already going to do something similar with the locations. So I was very confused about how to do both those things.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.