Language Exchange

Join Fairytaled! There’s someone who speaks ASL there! :wink:

My mother tongue is French, I can speak and read English too, but I still make mistakes sometimes. I learned a bit of Korean and I’m living in Japan right now, so I also can understand japanese a bit but I can’t speak.

2 Likes

Alright, random language inquiry: When texting in English I have found that people elongate the “e” from “same” from time to time, giving us “sameee-”. However, I do not understand if that is correct pronunciation wise, I had thought that the “e” was silent, so elongating it wouldn’t make that much sense, am I wrong on this? Or am I right to think “sameee-” does not make as much sense “saaame” would make?

As a native English speaker, I don’t get it either.

The ‘e’ is still silent, and ‘saaame’ would indeed make more sense.

The only reason I can think of is that it might be easier to have the last letter in the word elongated than a middle letter.

1 Like

Thanks! I have noticed this phenomenon is a lot of words and people usually elongate the last word, but “same” was the one that confused me the most.

Random question: aside from Ancient Greek and Latin, what other languages have cases for nouns and adjectives (nominative, vocative, accusative, genitive, dative, ablative)?

And to those of you who know languages with those cases, do you like having them?

DIE CASES!

I think that answers your question.

1 Like

It does.

But now that I know you know Latin I must ask, what the heck is an ablative and when is it used? We don’t have that in Greek

Ah, ablative. It’s used for a bunch of stuff. Like, A LOT OF STUFF. So many I’d rather not type them out. Mostly it’s used for “by with or from” such as in the sentence: Urbs magno ignī vastatur. In this sentence, ignī is ablative, and translates into, “by, with, or from a fire.” Sorry, in not the best explainer.

1 Like

Thanks, I think I have it more clear now.

My native language is English (since I’m originally from NZ) but I live in Japan now and I’m fluent in Japanese.
Not native level, just to clarify. People always get confused between native-level and fluent, and as a linguistics minor, it has always bothered me.

1 Like

i’d love to learn how to speak spanish! i know a little cause you have to take yrs of languages to graduate, but i’m not very good at it. Japanese is also a very cute language and i’d love to learn it. and mostly French, it’s so beautiful.

1 Like

& italian!!

A beautiful word from a language that should not be forgotten:

Apapachar, from Nahuatl (a language spoken by Mexican natives before the conquest of America)
To caress with the soul, to hug.

2 Likes

日本語を話します。

2 Likes

How long have you been learning Japanese? And how hard is it?

same, my mom is filipino and she speaks tagalog a lot so i understand a bit and all my friends can speak spanish… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So, these past couple of weeks, I have slowly learned Hiragana (Japanese) but obviously, I’m not very good at it yet.

The interesting thing is that we used mnemonics to remember them.
For example, the letter ‘す’ is ‘Soon to be a Flower’ as it resembles a blossoming flower (I have no idea how, though XD). The actual Japanese letter is ‘Su’ so the ‘Soon’ helps us remember the letter.

This happened to all the letters and each of them have a mnemonic. It sort of helps but it may take some time to remember.

:smile:

Being from Sweden, I obviously know Swedish and I can also understand Norweigan, mostly because they sound very similar. Danish is much easier to read rather than hear a Danish person speaking to me. It’s a bit funny how every time I talk to a Danish person they think that I understand what they’re saying. I mostly don’t. I know English fluently and I studied French for six years, didn’t get particularly good at it though. I’m currently trying to learn Korean. I know their alphabet fairly well now and my reading skills improving, the only problem is that I don’t know many words yet so I don’t understand what I’m reading.
Other than that I have Sami ancestors, unfortunately, the only living relative I have is my grandfather who never learnt Sami because they moved south and during the thirteen years he lived in the north he attended a boarding school and it was at a time when you weren’t allowed to speak or learn Sami in school.

1 Like

Wait, why weren’t you allowed to speak Sami at school?