Latino family advice in a story!

Hey guys!
I need help and I want your advice so that I portray the culture correctly.
The MC and her family are Mexican American and I was wondering if you guys had any tips of what to add and what not to add (I would love to credit you in my story like: thank you _ for helping develop the culture). I just want to take the time and truly portray the culture correctly.

3 Likes

I’m Mexican American. One thing i recommend is that the MC’s parents be strict because that’s the way a lot of Mexican Americans’ parents are.

3 Likes

Thank you so much!
Is there anything to avoid? (Offensive clichés etc.)
I just want to correctly portray the culture and not offend anyone

2 Likes

Avoid the cliche that all of us are illegal immigrants because not all of us are. Me and my family sure aren’t.

3 Likes

Oh defiantly
I live in Texas and have many legal Mexican American friends

2 Likes

Does anyone else have any advice for me to correctly portray the Mexican American culture?

1 Like

Yes, avoid the cliche when people say “Do you speak mexican or what? or Is mexican a language?” I’m from Mexico and I moved to the US and I really don’t like when people say that

1 Like

Yea I can definitely see how that up is extremely annoying

1 Like

Sure!
Not all Mexican families are poor, have black hair and dark skin, drink tequila and beer all the time, and listen to reggaeton and banda.
In my city, you will find people like this but you will also find families that are well-off, blonde Mexicans with blue or green eyes, people who don’t drink alcohol, and people who listen to pop, rock, K-Pop, Mexican ballads, rap, etc.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

1 Like