Layer Problems: Overlay coordinates error

May I please have some fresh eyes on this ???

I have been trying to make this scene work for hours (maybe not that long… but it’s been more than a half an hour… frustration makes everything seem longer). I have written and re-written it numerous times. Trying it without writing the overlay with the background, and now adding the overlay to the background, and nothing seems to be working. I am attempting to have the character standing in front of the OLD LODGE (which is the background) but also standing behind the OLD LODGE DESK (which is the overlay in question). Could the issue be the names I am using? Because I am stumped! I am in need of some expert assistance here please… and thank you!!!

Script Error in Question

error_coordinates

you have to position the overlay in a line after the background line, so it should be

INT. OLD LODGE
@overlay LODGE DESK create
@overlay LODGE DESK moves to 1.000 0 0 in zone x
@overlay LODGE DESK moves to layer -1
@overlay LODGE DESK opacity 1

1 Like

So… I can’t add the overlay to the background?
Okay… so basically I was straight up making it more difficult!!! :woman_facepalming:t4:
Thank you very much. Let me see if that works.

I need my overlay will not show up on screen what should I do.

1 Like

Check the opacity of the overlay. It may be at zero. Otherwise you may have an error in the line that creates the overlay.

1 Like

After I did that, now the original issue keep coming back up that started this entire problem! The character is not standing behind the desk, even though I have written it in a way that she does.

Problem With The Layers

layer -1 lodge desk

First of all, you only have “&overlay OLD LODGE … opacity 1“ instead of “&overlay OLD LODGE DESK opacity 1”

Secondly, it should be “&overlay OLD LODGE DESK moves to layer #”, not “&overlay OLD LODGE DESK … to layer #”

1 Like

try changing your last line to
@overlay OLD LODGE DESK moves to layer -1

1 Like

Thank you very much :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

The actual problem was the first issue you pointed out. I had "OLD LODGE "instead of “OLD LODGE DESK.” listed, and the reason I was not given an error message is because I have an overlay named “OLD LODGE”.

The moment I changed that everything FINALLY started working!!!

Issues Corrected

YAAAAAYYYY!!! :+1:t4:

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I have never used “moves to layer” before. I may try using that when I am moving overlays at the exact same time (like a character is walking while carrying a person). :+1:t4:

1 Like

@Lee_ahora.episode and @TristanArciera I went back and restructured the segment (overlays that I want to already be in the scene before it starts, I write them with the background. It is a trick I learned from @Dara.Amarie which talks about how to add multiple overlays in one scene and I am pretty sure that the complete issue was that I was getting my overlay names mixed up!!! Thanks again for helping me to get to the bottom of the issue. :+1:t4: :blob_hearts:

How I Wanted My Script Structured

2 Likes

Were you able to get your overlay to show up in the screen?

1 Like

no

Post your script with the overlay information here so we can look at it and figure out why it is not showing up.

I fix it now it show now but how do I get the mc to leave lol

INT. WALKINCLOSET - DAY

@LUNA stands screen center
label dress

@overlay LEFT ARROW create
@overlay 5697290179837952_LEFT ARROW shifts to -28 233 in zone 1
@overlay 5697290179837952_LEFT ARROW scales to 0.809 0.809
@overlay 5697290179837952_LEFT ARROW layer 4
@overlay LEFT ARROW opacity 100%

@overlay RIGHT ARROW create
@overlay 5697290179837952_RIGHT ARROW shifts to 207 241 in zone 1
@overlay 5697290179837952_RIGHT ARROW scales to 0.784 0.784
@overlay 5697290179837952_RIGHT ARROW layer 5
@overlay RIGHT ARROW opacity 100%

@overlay CHECKMARK create
@overlay 5697290179837952_CHECKMARK shifts to 198 -3 in zone 1
@overlay 5697290179837952_CHECKMARK scales to 1.000 1.000
@overlay 5697290179837952_CHECKMARK layer 6
@overlay CHECKMARK opacity 100%

label dress
@DRESS =LUNA_default

@LUNA is idle
@LUNA changes into Outfit 1
@DRESS =Outfit 1
goto tap1
}“RIGHT ARROW”{
@LUNA changes into Outfit 5
@DRESS =Outfit 5
goto tap1
}“CHECKMARK”{
LUNA (talk_neutral)
This should be it.
goto dress_end
}
label tap1
tappable “LEFT ARROW”{
@LUNA changes into Outfit 2
@DRESS = Outfit 2
goto dress
}“RIGHT ARROW”{
@LUNA changes into Outfit 7
@DRESS =Outfit 7
goto dress
}“CHECKMARK”{
LUNA (talk_neutral)
This should be it.
goto dress_end
}
label dress_end
if(DRESS=LUNA_default){
NARR
You need to get dress
goto dress
}
@LUNA exits left to screen

1 Like

The only way I know how to make a character walk away is by creating something like this:

@LUNA faces left and LUNA walks to spot 0.934 -123 -324 in zone 1 in 3 and LUNA does it while walk_sing_energetic_loop ( I just inserted random scale and shifts you would have to try it out in your preview to see what the legitimate scales and shifts are)

Or

I would keep the character there and have the scene fade out with:

@transition fade out black in 3

oh I see thank for the help

1 Like

You are very welcome. I really hope it helps!

@Nick please close this topic. Thank you!

1 Like

Closed: requested by Op