Lessons for outlines anyone?

My names Elina and I really want to make beautiful outlines. I was wondering if some people could tell me how they started out so I can try it too and hopefully get better.
@epi.verve sorry if you didn’t want to be tagged😢

Help me out here!

2 Likes
honesty

I started out with traces of photos… line by line
I know that is not at all what your supposed to do
but it was.

Ibs paint is like the best free art app on phones ive ever seen
so I would suggest downloading that first
And buying like your cheepest stylest at Walmart. or some other place

1 Like

Thank you for tagging me @EllyAus234 :two_hearts:

I agree with @K.Logan, IbisPaintx is the best free app on phones. As for the stylus pen, it isn’t a must but it does make things easier. Tbh, I don’t use one nor do I have one.

Tips
  • Make sure to avoid using a small canvas size. I usually use size 2000*2000 (if not even bigger)

• I’d highly recommend using the dip pen hard brush. It’s the best one for drawing outlines.

• Use the option forced fade (not necessary tho) an turn on your stabilizer.

• Practise by “tracing” episode characters (everybody does that tbh). If you want to “draw” costum poses (non-episode poses), you can start by tracing pictures (of real-life people). But don’t post the drawing tho, or claim it as your own pose. If you don’t want to trace anything, simply use a picture as a reference and give credit to the original “pose-creator”.

• Practise.

• Practise.

• Don’t rush your outlines (It takes me 1-5 hours to draw a (advanced) pose!)

• Practise. (I can’t say it often enough.)

Also: I made a quick guide on why you should use the Dip Pen Hard brush/stabilizer/forced fade :green_heart: I had fun making it.

To be honest

I traced pictures too like @/GO-Logan a few months ago. Now I simply draw the pose myself or I use me/my brother/my friends/non-copyright pictures as a pose reference. :sweat_smile:

• Tracing real life pictures for practising? It’s okay as long as you don’t post it (or claim it as your own pose)

• Tracing other (episode-) artists drawings? Not okay at all. Just don’t do it.

• Using reference photos? Completely okay. Just give credit for the original person that made the picture/that posed for the picture as long as you don’t pose for it by yourself. :two_hearts:

Lastly

(Again) Take your time. It might take hours, days, weeks or even months to improve! It took me ≈4 months to make somewhat good outlines :sweat_smile: :woozy_face: (only because I had an art block for like 3 months hahaha)

My “timeline” of outlines:

1. Tracing a normal idle position of an episode character with an other pen than Dip Pen Hard, without forced fade and without the stabilizer on :no_mouth: It was my first try at an outline 6 months ago.

2. This is an outline from 3/4 months ago. I was simply adding (selfmade) limb overlays to an episode character (and then I traced it). It was made with the Dip Pen Hard and with stabilizer on. :cowboy_hat_face:

3. This is an outline from a few weeks ago. It’s an advanced pose and it took me 4 hours to make it (I started over again several times because I wasn’t happy with the outline :)) It was made with the Dip Pen Hard, with stabilizer AND forced fade on. :full_moon_with_face: :two_hearts:

4. I’m still trying to improve. I draw mouths like shit

This post literally took me one hour to make, help. I hope that it’s useful :green_heart::green_heart:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post​:slight_smile:. I’m a perfectionist so I’ve been expecting to get this perfect on the first try even tho I know that’s not how it works. I’m going to do EXACTLY what you said. Thank you so much again!:grin:

2 Likes

Lmaoo you sound a lot like me :joy: Glad that it helped :))

2 Likes