Let Me Help You Be More Successful! (CURRENTLY CLOSED)

CLOSED - I need to catch up on my waiting list, so I’m not going to take any more requests just now! Sorry!

Hi, I’m Gwen, I just got a 30 day pass, and I need to practice my critiquing skills before I officially open my writing website to start work as a freelance writer/editor. So give me experience, and I’ll help you get a better polished story!

My Qualifications:

Writing: I have been studying writing for around sixteen years, and I’ve been writing pretty steadily throughout. I’ve studied textbooks, taken classes, and worked with other writers, some of which have successfully published through traditional means.Though I can’t claim to be an expert, I definitely know a thing or two about quality writing. Most of my experience comes from novels and not screenwriting, however. I’ve written six and a half novels, plus two novel-length fanfictions. I’m currently working on overhauling a novel for traditional publishing. I’ve also written short stories, poetry, novellas, and nonfictions articles and papers. I’ve been published a few times, though I’m most proud of being published in a newsletter for other writers.

Editing: I have much less experience with editing, though I have beta-read various fanfictions over the years, and I’ve done content editing for novels, as well as for articles later published in magazines. I enjoy editing, though less the grammar-based and more the content-based. I especially enjoy working with a writer on finding a reader-capturing opening (keeping them tapping past the first few lines), character depth and growth, plots and subplots, and finding a unique voice.

Marketing: Though I’ve never studied marketing per se, I have been responsible for advertising various forums and websites, and I’ve been doing my best to learn as I’m aware that as a novelist it will be my responsibility to push sales for my work. I’ve picked up a few basic skills and tips, and I’d be happy to do what I can to help you come up with some plans (a marketing strategy) to get the word out about your story!

Episode: Though I haven’t published on Episode (yet), I have been a reader for…I want to say around four years? I can’t count how many stories I’ve read straight through, and I certainly can’t count how many stories I have closed out of within the first 20 taps. I know what makes a good story, and perhaps better, I know what makes a bad one. I’d like to help you make your story one people stay up late finishing, despite having to be up early the next day.

What I’m Offering:

If you are published, I will do the following, one part at a time (come back to request 2 after I’ve completed 1, 3 after 2, etc.):

1. Critique. If you’re already published, send me your story link and I will read the first three episodes/chapters. I will send back first impressions, major issues, writing hiccups (grammar errors or typos), basic thoughts on characters, and whatever else comes up, along with a list of any technical errors in directing I might find (for help fixing those, you’ll have to go elsewhere. But if you’re a great director reading this and want people to come to your own help thread, let me know and I’ll list your thread here). I’ll also send a short list of improvement suggestions, especially if I feel the beginning is rocky. I’ll also include what I think your strong points are and if I can think of any ways to make that shine better.

2. A Deeper Look. I’ll finish reading what you have published (up to 20 chapters, anyway) and send back things that go beyond ‘skin deep’. Thoughts on plot, writing style, pacing, and characterization; suggestions to improve every issue I might find with the story, including ways to add character depth, stretch out a plot, add layers or tension, and so on; list your strongest scenes and how your writing strengths can be further used to make other scenes just as good.

(2.5. If needed, I can also rewrite an episode with the most flaws with track changes on and send it back to you to show exactly what I mean. You must be willing to use email. This is totally optional.)

1. Polish. Basically just what I said: all issues should be taken care of at this point. Just some recommendations for little things to add that extra ‘pop’ the top stories usually have.

2. Marketing. If you want help coming up with ideas for getting your story the attention is deserves, I’ll work with you to come up with a basic plan. (If you are a cover maker, feel free to send me a link to your thread to include here).

If you are not published, but you have a script written, I will do all I can in the above order, just working with your script instead of the published link.

If you only have an outline:

I will read through it and give a full critique on plots, potential subplots, characters, and just the general uniqueness of the story. I’ll probably also send some thoughts on things that be done with the plot, or things that might need to be adjusted to really make your story shine. I can also go through a few drafts of the outline with you.

If you only have a pitch:

I’ll rate your pitch 1 - 5, and give a list of what sounds good to me, and what sounds potentially problematic.

Sensitivity Reading:

I can read your story/draft/outline/pitch for sensitive handling/accuracy of the following characteristics/minorities/plots:

Autism, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Depression, Anxiety, Grief, Bi-Polarism.

If you are interested in working closely throughout your draft, sending each episode as you finish writing it (so, in using me as a personal editor or betareader), let me know. At the moment I’m not offering this, but I may change my mind if I really believe in you and your project - but I will be charging money for this service, though at a lesser price then for others.

My Price:

I am not charging money for the above services (save for the last thing mentioned). I DO, HOWEVER, REQUIRE THE FOLLOWING:

• YOU MUST be okay with a real critique of your work. If you contact me, I will assume you are serious about wanting to improve your writing, and though I won’t be outright rude, I won’t treat you with kid gloves, either. Please do not request help and then complain that I’m just being mean. I’m being blunt and clear because I honestly want to help you improve your writing, and I can’t do that while also blindly praising your work.

• YOU MUST credit me as an editor in your published copy wherever you include credits, in the story, not in the descriptive text. If you don’t have a regular place for credits, it must be placed at the beginning title sequence for your first episode, or if the work is already complete, at the end of the last episode. If I have helped you with marketing and you’ve decided to use one of the plans we’ve come up with, it must also be credited.

• I MAY contact you in the future to read the first episode of my stories and request a blurb back to use in marketing strategies. If I do, please do your best to help me. I won’t be asking for a full critique, just your initial thoughts.

How To Do This:

Post here telling me what help you’re asking for, along with the story genre, your age (or at least a 5-year bracket, such as 18 - 23), and the link to your story/outline/pitch. The first step for a published story, outline, and pitch results will be published here. The other steps for a published story or any critique of a draft will be handled via PM, or whatever works best for you. Post here and wait for me to message you.

WOW THIS ENDED UP LONG. I hope you all are interested anyway. I really want to help fellow writers grow, and help give Episode more intriguing stories. Again, I could really use some experience, though this will be a much more casual experience then it would be if this was really my work, haha. Thank you!

Working On:

JasmineLilac - Pitch (on hold)
Himawari - Published story
Pettro33 - Pitch

Waiting List:

Piyi
Danielle Cassidy
zetti
Manna
Lushes
nadjamiller
Pettro33
mysoxlike2party
kahotshot
Kaylen.M.Rivers
*Vanessah
bethanyk14
Amberlyn
MariannaEscalante
*lawful evil
goddess101

Finished (initial critique):
Brianaaa_ - Published Story

• = please see my reply (usually no age bracket given)

The Struggles Within

Your childhood was rough, but now as an adult you have a chance to start fresh. Things will get better right?

I’m 27 and my story is for the more mature audience, I was hoping to see if you feel I need to edit it more to make it more friendly or does it do its job as it is?

Thank you!!

Hi!
So my story is called Mei.

It was almost as if he was waiting for me to come to his rescue, a trap set for me.
Instead he fell into mine…

Link: Mei

I would love it if you tell me if my story requires editing and polishing. I am open to critic. And I am between the age group 20-25.

Hi! I would like to receive feedback and thoughts etc.:blush:

Thank you! Have a great day. (I’m 18)

My story is called “Illegal Alien”.
Stella befriends a stranger who stops her from committing suicide. She finally has a friend, but he is not everything he seems. Navigate her life as she uncovers other secrets.
I am between 20 and 25.
The story does contain a character with depression. Your critique of the legitimacy would be appreciated, as I am sure it is not a developed attribute of the character yet. (I’ve had depression in the past but I did not take the time to work it into the story yet.) I look forward to hearing back from you.

Hey, can you give me a critique? Thanks!
Story Name: H&V: The White Rose
Genre: Drama/Fiction
Description: A young princess has powers even she can’t control. An evil king with a curse no one but her can break. Will she save her kingdom, or will it all collapse to ashes. You decide
Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5531090284576768

Hi! I would really appreciate if you’d read my story!
Story name: The boy who sees everything
Genre: Romance
Style: Ink
Description: Carla is looking for a summertime job but she doesn’t want just anything, she wants something different…that’s how she meets Zack. Will he change her life forever?

I’d be so grateful if you’d give my story a critique! I am going back and editing the chapters already, but I would like to see what you think!

Title: Gang Affiliated
Description: Teenage girl Jupiter is suddenly forced into the gang life, followed by drama, trauma, and sexy gang leaders.
Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/6729805148717056

Hey, thanks for this.

Title: Filling A Void
Description; An experience makes you shut yourself from the world, would you fill the void in you? Or miss the opportunity of a lifetime?
Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4742249652682752

Perfect!
I’d love a deeper look. Many reviewers have helped me clean up a lot of technical errors, directing mistakes, and plot holes, so I’d love your thoughts on my plot, writing style, pacing, and more. Things that go beyond “the obvious”.

Story: Diary of a Middle School Teacher
Author: Marianna Escalante
Genre: Comedy
Description: Mia moves to Mexico to teach middle school, but an old crush, two mysterious families, and her students complicate everything.
Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5621330624512000
My age: 33

Hey!
When I saw this post I was super thrilled. I’ve been working on this Episodes on the side of my actual writing (I’m editing a novel for query in the spring), and I’m semi-happy with its turnout. Of course, I am VERY new to episodes so I was hoping your insight could help me catch some errors, :slight_smile:

Story: Dirt Road Soul
Author: goddess101
Style: Ink!
Description: Lila is a doctor in New York City with the seeming perfect life. But with the arrival of a guy from the country, everything she thinks she knows about herself is proved wrong.

Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5432449307377664

THANK YOU SO MUCH even if you can’t get around to reading it. I’m REALLY new at this so it helps to just try and get out there! :slight_smile:

Hey everyone! I got a LOT more replies a LOT faster than I expected. I really didn’t think the Episode community would be interested in this level of critique. I’m really excited! I’ll be spending most of my night going through the updating the waiting list, replying to ya’ll, and working on critiques. I have my writing books out and everything. Thank you for your patience! :slight_smile:

@Vanessah @bethanyk14 - Can I get an age or age bracket from you, please? It helps me out, and lets me know you read the whole post and are ready for my kind of critique! Thanks.

@Amberlyn @goddess101 - Can I get an age or age bracket from you, please? It helps me out, and lets me know you read the whole post and are ready for my kind of critique! Thanks.

Hey, between ages (18-22)

Hey @Brianaaa ! I’m almost done with you initial critique! Would you prefer that I post here, or private message to you?

Sorry, my post is edited!

Hey @Gwen-Bruce I would really appreciate in depth feedback on my story!

I’ve been out of the writing game as a hobby for a year and could definitely use the all the real and in-depth feedback you can give. I also have no problem with crediting you as an editor!
My story genre is Drama/Romance and I am 21 years old.

This is my story’s link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/5944027944452096
The style is in limelight!
If possible I am mostly on my Instagram for episode as I work full time, but I will also check back here for your reply if that doesn’t work for you!
IG: destinystradgedy

Thanks so much for your great offer of help!

You can tell me here please.

Hey! So I think my story may have a slow start but I would love any feedback you can give me

Story Title : The Art of The Deal
Author : GraceX
Style : Ink
Episodes : 9 ongoing
Genre: Romance drama and comedy

Link: http://episodeinteractive.com/s/4622710791208960

Story: Isobel lives a secret life but is captured by Dark Chaos, a gang with a twist. Fighting for the greater good! But have there lives crossed before?

Xxx