Let’s be honest about the hypocrisy on Episode

Hi, everyone.

If you’ve been on Episode Forums—or just the Episode app in general—for awhile, then you’ve seen the increase in inappropriate stories. By inappropriate, I mean inappropriate for younger audiences—and just inappropriate for anyone to be writing, regardless of the audience. Episode is marked as a 12+ app, but let’s be honest: there are kids younger than that on the app sometimes, AND the stories Episode supports are just not 12+. A lot of popular stories, as many, many, many, manyyyyyy threads have discussed, include a lot of ILLEGAL things such as rape, human trafficking, kidnapping, and sexual assault and inappropriately showcase or even seem to be normalizing abusive/toxic/plain stupid behavior such as slut-shaming, perpetuating rape culture, toxic LIswhich is commonly seen in many stories. While that obviously shouldn’t be on a 12+ app, it shouldn’t be on any app. (Obviously, even if Episode had a 18+ section or separate app, authors still need to be careful of what they write.) But this thread isn’t about hating on cliches, but rather how hypocritical the entire Episode app is. There has been a rise in tension due to the stories Episode chooses to support or not support. Toxic stories are just getting more and more views, while other stories that actually follow all the guidelines are not. (I’m definitely not saying all popular stories are bad/inappropriate. There are obviously a lot of great ones, too.) Episode should follow its own guidelines and start enforcing them on all stories.

A huge issue is that some inappropriate stories are getting a lot of reads, even millions. Readers see that and might think it’s okay. And those readers may go on to write their own stories that are also inappropriate, because they think that’s how to be a successful author, and because they think it’s acceptable.

The app just isn’t 12+ anymore (if it ever was). If I remember correctly, it was more “kid-friendly” back when the Mean Girls stories were popular. Episode should just change its rating or enforce the guidelines to be an actually 12+ app.

I’m not trying to argue that Episode should or should not be a 12+ app. I, just like many others, am tired of seeing how hypocritical Episode is. This is very frustrating. I hope things change so that the app and community can be safer and more enjoyable.

61 Likes

I agree with you, there are many stories which are created in a way which it shouldn’t be, i know that there are loads of great authors but some just romanticise relationships in the worst way, and this could impact readers, if they want to continue to read it… And most of all, racist remarks, toxicity, and abusive violence. This is just too much to handle for some and can be seen as very sensitive, even if a tw is given. I totally get where you’re coming from and Episode needs to start taking action.

8 Likes

I agree! Just because there’s a warning, doesn’t mean that you get excused for whatever you write after it. Some authors think that it’s some pass to do whatever they want.

2 Likes

I agree with you, I was reading love on fire and I was a little surprised that there an option where they were playing truth or dare and one of they questions choices were “have you ever had a threesome” Like why would you put that in there knowing that is not an appropriate subject for 12+ . I also don’t like how the story mentions the word HOT multiple times, this really got to me because young readers read this and it teaches them that you have to be good looking to be accepted. I agree with you 120% on this and episode needs to fix this.

Tags

@JustAPerson @Raitlyn @Dark_Clover21 @Anna_Marie @juliewrites @episode.lillz @its_vanessa @april_episode

13 Likes

Yeah, the impact on the readers is also an issue. Even if adults are on the app, I just don’t think grossly offensive authors and stories should have a platform.

For sure! Reader-only people are often aware of the underlying issues on Episode. I definitely agree that Episode is most responsible, because they are providing the platform for the horrible stories.

Well said. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

6 Likes

True! I got Episode on a new device, and so I had to read the official Episode stories. The Baby Project shows characters in their underwear doing really suggestive things, and it states that they are having sex I’m pretty sure. That’s just not 12+. That scene was so unnecessary. That’s fine for older audience, but c’mon Episode: if you want the app to be 12+, actually do it and be fair to all stories and authors.

7 Likes

Thanks for tagging me!
And yes, the guidelines are not being followed at all in some stories. I don’t know why such topics make a good story, unless it’s some autobiography of a person who did suffer such things before which is highly unlikely.

There are many wonderful storylines out there waiting to be found by authors and be used. I’m getting tired of seeing topics like that whenever I open up a story. Waiting for the day episode will become child-friendly again :neutral_face:

5 Likes

I’ve never seen any autobiographies, and a lot of the problematic stories that are focused on organized crime/the mafia are so unrealistic there’s no way it could have happened.

And being kid-friendly does not mean boring stories either! Romance can still be just as exciting without the excessive sexual scenes.

12 Likes

There are things that episode allows should not be. Say if episode thought those things where 12+ appropriate they should really consider that young readers may be affected by it, even when stories have "This story may contain mature context’ Umm… well that should not be because this is a 12+ app there should not be any warning and episode should not have provided it for writers.

I agree, this is also something that can influence kids, thinking that sex Is something that need’s to happen in a relationship.

5 Likes

Warnings that go on big ramblings about what the story includes (which is usually cussing, excessive sex, very veryyyy sensitive topics for anyone to be writing/reading, etc.) just make me go… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

I also think episode can be very sexist at time too.

7 Likes

Haha yeah but other then this Episode is great!

4 Likes

Yes, it is its just some writers.

2 Likes

When we remove the “other than this,” we don’t have that much as we should have left. :sob: :exclamation:

4 Likes

That’s true, i don’t mean to be offending the author or it’s readers, but melia - a great author uses too much sexual scenes in her story, even though her storyline and whole plot is amazing, i think all of isn’t necessary, you don’t have to show you love someone through kissing all the time and lust. :grimacing:

13 Likes

Yeah, totally. They just need to learn to tone it down sometimes. No hate to them or their story. Just because Episode doesn’t flag them or something, doesn’t mean it’s okay.

5 Likes

True what ever happened to connecting with someone emotionally

6 Likes

I am still not over episode made me remove this two sentence, just text no visual at all because she was telling a friend about a past traumatick event, mean while we get stories with drug rape and kidnaping in the top 100.

it makes people bleed out from their eyes, ears, nose, and mouth.

I still remember the sound of him choking on his blood, and the feeling of the blood dripping on me.

12 Likes

Episode is so harsh on smaller authors sometimes, and they let big authors just do anything (at least that’s what it seems like). Episode is very much biased. I’m sorry you had to put up with that. Even the tiniest things can become annoying when Episode just doesn’t stop doing it.

15 Likes

Because that is there profit the big writers.

7 Likes