Let’s discuss, what order do you put your story in?// Discutamos, ¿en qué orden pones tu historia?

Haha I’m from Spain so my first language is Spanish, but I speak English as well.
That’s a neat trick! I always worked them out individually so I can try this to save time! Gracias :heart:

I usually do this:

1. Type the name of the background and the overlays I’ll need for that scene. If I don’t have the background or overlays yet, I’ll halt the story and go on an intensive search until I find what I want. I’m really big on having the background and overlays really fit the scene, so sometimes I have to modify certain ones (giving credit to the original creator, obviously, and making sure that the creator does allow their BGs to be edited.)
  2. Spot direct the characters in that scene, making sure that they are all wearing the right outfits.
  3. Preview to make sure the characters are in the correct positions before proceeding. If a character is going to appear for the first time, I create them and their outfit before adding them in.
  4. Write their dialogue and the animations at the same time, and preview it.
  5. I often use custom zooms, especially in scenes where a character is supposed to be sitting but does an animation that only exists for standing (our sitting animations are very limited). With custom zooms, you can only focus on their face and upper half of their body. It also works for when your character is standing very far to the left or right, and you want it to focus on them without it cutting off half of their face.
  6. Speech bubble positions.
  7. Lastly, I add in music and sounds.

Other details:
-Sometimes I copy and paste a script template from another story/episode if I’m using the same backgrounds and overlays.
-I usually have these tabs open:

• The portal, where I’m writing
  • The art catalog
  • Character and outfits tab
  • Youtube, so I can listen to music while writing
  • Google drive, in case I need to look for a particular BG/overlay that I’ve already seen on someone’s shared drive
  1. BG/Music
  2. Code the entire scene without previewing it.
  3. Watch it.
  4. Spot Direct
1 Like

Yes yes yesss, credit is always important

Your style for coding is literally amazing! I like the order in the ways you do things

1 Like

You make it sound so easyyy!!! Yours is so simple, I might have to try yours!

1 Like

Well, I’m doing on my phone overlays, backgrounds, clothes, characters and I’m writing in standard phone notepad dialogs and choices (like dialogs).
When I have everything ready I paste it in portal and when I have time I’m coding.

1 Like

Pretty simple.

I’m pretty new to this, so I don’t think this counts for much but this is my way of doing things.

When I write Episode, in my mind I’m making a television show, which is why my writing tends to faster-paced and media res (to a degree). So the way I think of it affects my process.

1. Planning the Episode. I plan the episode so I can get an idea of what scenes I will write, giving myself a two to three line summary of the events of each scene. It will allow me to check for backgrounds and overlays that may be needed for the episode and gauge how long the episode will take to make, writing-wise and directing-wise.

2. Writing the screenplay. Looking at the thread I see a lot of people write and direct at the same time and I’m here wondering how they can do that. I have to write out ALL the dialogue along with any non-verbal cues that may imply emotion. It allows me to focus on the characters and their personalities and how I can convey that through dialogue and actions and then moving on to visualise it rather than doing it all at once and confusing myself. And it’s a lot easier to delete a few lines than a lot of complex directing.

3. Directing the dialogue. I’m methodical. I go through each and every scene and direct. I look at the backgrounds I am using and use an image editing program to think about the composition of my scene to fit my preferred aesthetic for the scene, thinking of background characters, and how they are position may change the mood of the scene and the position of the characters might imply things about the characters that then add to their personalities and character development. This is the most tedious parts of writing, but for me one of the easier. In writing, I have to think a lot about my dialogue, but here it’s just spot directing and branching. It can get confusing if you are messy with your coding, but I’m pretty neat with it, I think, so it makes the whole process smoother.

4. Music. I do music before adding customization and stuff because customization takes up a lot of lines and makes the script itself more difficult to navigate and I find the way I choose music is quite dynamic, with it changing often between scenes and in-between scenes when mood changes. Of course I have to fade the music which you have to gauge how fast the reader will tap and try and average it out. It’s a lot of trial and error it terms of selection and application, but in my opinion makes for a more well-rounded and richer story experience.

5. Admin stuff & checking for bugs. Cut and paste in my intro and outro, changing the text to be relevant to each chapter, add customization, which takes a lot of lines, look for glitches or things that may hinder reader-experience. It’s also time consuming, but will pays off in terms of cleanliness of the chapter.

6. Feedback. I get feedback from people in real life as I think it’s easier to give my thought process and it’s much more immediate, they tell me if something could be written more sensitively or if there’s a glaring mistake I’ve made that for some reason I didn’t realize existed.

7. Final proofreading and then publishing. I’m anxious about sending my work into the world so I proofread it about thirty or so times (kidding! I think.) and when I finally bored myself to death with my own chapter, I take the leap and publish.

So, yeah, sorry if this is way too long. But this is kind of how I do it.

tl;dr: I’m a perfectionist