Let’s talk about... BHM!

Stories on shelf 1:

Stories on shelf 2:

Let’s discuss :blob_sun:

14 Likes

One Big Happy! :hugs: I’ve read this one. I really think it’s a solid, thoughtful story and LG as an author consistently writes some of the best and most nuanced black-centric casts on Episode in my opinion.

Tittle Tattle is one of those stories I keep meaning to read and always forget to try. I really like the description and concept of it. Plus, the main characters being three sisters is a fun dynamic.

4 Likes

I have these two saved in my reading list, and now I’m ever more interested :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I did read the start of Tittle Tattle a few months ago and can confirm it lives up to its concept for sure. Episodes are quite long though. I actually couldn’t finish episode 2 in one sitting because it was so long and every time I would go back to read it, it had been edited so I would get sent to the start of the episode again :sob: So I probably won’t read the rest until it’s completed.

Thoughts on the shelf in general- I was impressed to see all stories on the shelf had less than 5k reads. I actually saw someone on IG complain that they had chosen all popular stories for this shelf which I really didn’t understand. Only three stories have more than 1000 reads?

But I am a bit cautious of a couple of stories on this shelf not having their story set to “more episodes coming soon” or “completed”. When I see that part blank, it always makes me think a story has been discontinued.

9 Likes

Um, what? I just checked and currently the highest number is 2.5K. I’ve said this a lot lately, but Episode has been really doing a good job with choosing stories from smaller authors

8 Likes

My thoughts exactly lol

2 Likes

I read Lost Summer Love and Oma for r4rs and really enjoyed both of them!
Congrats to everyone who made it on the shelf! It’s always great to see more diversity and inclusivity being promoted! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

Small rant: But the pettiness of people on instagram trying to dim other people’s lights and happy moments of getting featured because they’re irritated they/someone they know isn’t on a shelf is just mind boggling to me. I don’t get why we can’t just support each other and quit with the comments. :woman_facepalming:t2::eyes:

6 Likes

Lol same, I like it too but it’s chapters are super long :sweat_smile:

That’s super weird cause the previous two years BHM shelves had quite popular stories on them. Except for tittle tattle, I don’t know any of these other stories, and they all have less than 5k reads. I wouldn’t call any of these stories “popular”

5 Likes

I have been reading OMA.
I like the concept and find it realistic. :smile:
I like the fact that the Prince is aware that the competition will bring out the worst of the contestants.
And I hope that the good hearted MC gets her head in the game because she is on a viper’s nest. :speak_no_evil:

I’m not sure I will be able to check others, if that happens, I will come back :blush:

Congrats to all authors :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I’m happy about this shelf, and I’m glad to be a part of it. The stories on this shelf really needed the recognition by Episode.

5 Likes

Actually the people who comment in these threads usually do read stories from the shelves. How do you know we haven’t read yours? Or that we won’t read it when we get there?

11 Likes

Thanks Baleigh :purple_heart:

1 Like

Are you sure this is definitely about Episode and not Wattpad? I’ve seen a lot of IG stories about Wattpad…

I think Episode did a great job at finding some hidden gems. I believe one story even had <100 reads when I saw it! Which surprised me as I thought a story needed 100 reads to be considered, but I also don’t think this is the first time that’s happened?

7 Likes

First let me say that I was so happy to see one of @TamiRose stories chosen. She has such a fun and unique voice and I’m glad more people will be exposed to her wonderful insanity. :upside_down_face: I’ve also read OMA and Wrong From Right through R4R and found them to be quite enjoyable as well. I’ll definitely be checking out the others when I get a chance.

On a side note, the notion that people are complaining about “popular” stories being chosen boggles my mind. This is why I avoid social media. :laughing:

5 Likes

I did too! I know people were upset that episode chose two of the same authors from last year’s shelf? I don’t know how true that is because I wasn’t really around then, but there were some petty comments as a result. :sweat_smile: As for the reads thing someone mentioned that the stories barely made 5000 reads put together, but I don’t know what that has to do with anything. :thinking::sweat_smile::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

I read OMA and Lost Summer Love & I really liked both. I was so happy to see my girl Tami on that shelf, I truly think that she deserves it!

I saw the opposite :thinking: I saw people complaining that the stories don’t have a lot of reads, but in both cases I don’t see how this is a problem :sweat_smile: As long as the story is good I would be fine with reading it either if it has 1 read or 1 millions. I didn’t like how they ruined someone’s achievement with comments like these. This is only the first shelf too

5 Likes

I get what she’s saying… Because I’ve also had the struggle of not getting readers. Some say they’d read but the read number would always stay the same. Been that way for about a year or two. I do appreciate that my story is finally featured on a shelf but I’m a little disappointed that it took me being a black author to be there, and not because my story is good.

2 Likes

Don’t think like that.
I’m pretty sure all stories that make their way onto a shelf have to be rubric scored? And pass certain quality benchmarks? So the review team clearly thought it was good enough to be on a shelf :slight_smile:

Besides, the same logic could be applied to any shelf story then. “I only made it on the shelf because my story fit the theme, not because it’s good.” Which I’m sure isn’t ever the case!

5 Likes

I understand you and feel the same way. It took me a while to get my story recognized by Episode, and I didn’t like that at all. It discouraged and demotivated me because I felt like my story wasn’t good enough for people to enjoy.

1 Like

thank you, @SilverLady I’m glad someone likes my insane in the membrane ideas :smile:

Thank you so much @Zey you don’t know how much that makes me happy.

I’m so glad to have both of your support :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::star_struck:

4 Likes