Let’s talk about... BHM!

@TamiRose I forgot to tell you congratulations yesterday! I’m happy for you, and I’m glad your story got noticed :heart:

I understand, but it takes a lot of time to most of us. I’ve read so many amazing stories that didn’t get the recognition they would have deserved, not even when they were featured. This is actually the reason why I keep making these threads: to draw people’s attention to these shelves. And this is the reason why others usually comment: to promote and recommend the stories they liked, and as I noticed they are even more enthusiastic if those stories were written by small authors.

Besides this, I completely agree with what @EliseC said. I actually think that these different shelf themes give a great chance to more authors to get some spotlight.

8 Likes

@Briana_M @Dmfan91
I won’t sit here and lie saying that I read your stories, because I didn’t. But trust me, Episode went through probably hundreds of stories, reviewed all of them and chose YOURS. Not because of your race, not because of the shelf theme but because your stories ARE GOOD. Do you think that anyone can end up on a shelf? There are people who have been trying for years and still weren’t able to. The reason why I (and most probably the majority of people who haven’t read your stories) didn’t read your stories before is because I never saw them anywhere, not because they’re not good! You’re both too harsh on yourselves, the reason why some stories get a lot of reads quickly is because of a shelf. You should be proud of yourselves, this is an accomplishment!

8 Likes

You’re right. I guess I’m having a hard time trying to except this accomplishment because I’ve been an episode author for 4 years now, and I’ve never had a story on a shelf before :disappointed: I’m grateful and proud of myself. I guess I am being a bit too harsh on myself.

3 Likes

100% Episode, because they then shared the stories they did think should be on the shelf insted and one had 100k reads, and they said “Ok, I know this one has a lot of reads but it still should be on the shelf” :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Totally went against her own point and I’m pretty sure it was a personal thing about wishing her friends were featured more than anything else.

6 Likes

I don’t know if I saw the same ones on insta you did, but it’s kind of sad people can’t just be happy for others. :confused:

With that being said I’m really looking forward to checking out the stories on the shelf since a lot of them look really good! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I guess so… I never thought about it like that. It does tend to be discouraging, but I am grateful that I’m on the shelf. I didn’t expect it, and I would’ve been happy with just having readers that enjoy the story. Being on the shelf does open the door for me to continue writing my others stories

1 Like

Yeah same here. It’s almost unreal

2 Likes

I still can’t believe it got featured. I always thought my stories weren’t good enough or could be better. I was getting ready to quit writing them a week ago. I’ve read a few awesome stories and thought my stories don’t compare.

Thank you. I’m glad yours got featured. It’s a really good story and you’re an awesome writer. Congrats to you as well. :purple_heart:

6 Likes

I’ve thought that about mine too, good job!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Don’t think like that. Be greatful you fit into one of these shelfs, I for sure don’t see myself fitting any of these themeshelves, so just embrace it.
If your story is good, which I asume it is or it wouldn’t have made the shelf, people will keep reading it.

3 Likes

Never in a billion years I ever thought episode was gonna feature OMA :sob: I felt maybe cause it carries a whole different setting as it centers in my country, Nigeria because on several occasions I was blessed to have some lovely souls who instantly became fans of OMA and never cease the opportunity to recommend it for any shelf they felt it fits in but then, I knew my chances were low cause I always feel my story don’t beat the bench mark compare to other great stories out there I always doubt myself, and my stories all the time :sob: but I never knew episode saw it as a wonderful great story​:sob: I am just so grateful for this opportunity episode gave me. I also admire episode for picking the smaller authors out there for this shelf, seeing Tami, Briana and co. Really gave me so much joy. We all started this together and I can’t believe we got here together and finally our efforts were noticed and appreciated by episode. I also want to thank you all for reading all our stories on the shelf :pray::sob: without you guys, our stories are like-it hasn’t really done it’s job because what matters to us writers is seeing how far our stories could go in touching a lot of lives in every positive way it can, putting smiles on readers faces and easing off their worries at devastated times. The positive comments I’ve been getting on OMA is just enough for me to feel fulfilled already. Much love everyone. I am grateful to episode and all you episodians for this :heart::heart::heart:

6 Likes

I’m glad this time it’s 2 shelves because last year the reads were dropping as we got to the third shelf :grimacing:

It’ll be more fair this time

5 Likes

I love seeing this shelf and other cultural shelves because it gives a chance to celebrate stories that usually aren’t included in other shelves. It would be great to see more inclusivity in shelves all year long. Congratulations to everybody who was featured. The point of this shelf is to celebrate black voices and black stories, and it is ok to celebrate other stories written by other people, even if we or our friends are not yet on the shelf :upside_down_face:
Being on a shelf once doesn’t guarantee success or a huge break out for everybody. Suddenly placing the standard that black authors can only be featured on the black history month shelf once sets a precedent that limits what stories can be seen- in other words, I hope people keep this same energy when it’s them or their friends up there twice.

There was a story that was featured on the black history shelf last year that didn’t do as well as the others. It was revamped as another story. Personally, I would not object to this author’s hard work being placed on the shelf again this year so that her new story can gain more visibility. According to some people complaining, this author shouldn’t have a chance to be up there again and I find that a bit unfair.

We asked for this shelf so that black authors and their stories can gain more visibility. That is what is being done. None of these authors featured are what you’d call huge with big followings. They’ve all worked hard and they all deserve to be celebrated. I’m going to have to actually open the app and check out some of these stories.
Congratulations again to the authors featured! I hope this shelf gives you the visibility you need, and I hope it gives you other opportunities to have your other stories featured on other shelves.

11 Likes

Thank you so much :heart:

1 Like

Same to you. :purple_heart:

1 Like

So far, I’ve read One Big Happy, Wrong from Right, and Lost Summer Love, and I enjoyed all three.
I’m going to be checking out the other stories this week. :purple_heart: :smiley:

3 Likes

I can’t express my love for this story enough. L.G’s love for writing is really shown throughout this comedic and beautiful tale of family and friendship. The characters are so developed, and have their own antics and quirks, that are so easily decipherable – despite it only being 6 episodes in.

Excited to read through the rest of the stories on the shelf! :sunflower:

10 Likes

So, as always, I took the time to read some of the stories on the BHM shelf, because obviously they made it for a reason, and should be supported!

With that being said, I’m not sure if there were more comments on the IG post, but if you’re referring to Vanessa’s comment, she was saying that 2 of the authors had already been featured on the shelf last year. Not for the same stories, but for different ones.

Episode mostly got it right, with providing visibility for the other authors on the shelf who aren’t as popular, and don’t already have a lot of story reads (on all stories combined).

What I wanted to see from this shelf, (and in the most part did see) is small authors I’ve never seen before, so we get a chance to celebrate unknown authors and finally bring their work to light.

Do I feel like some people I know deserve to make the shelf? Of course! They have amazing stories. But that’s not to say that the small authors on there now do not deserve their spot. Me wishing that my friends made the shelf that deserves it, does not negate the small authors that are on that shelf accomplishments. It’s not a 0 sum game, people can be happy for the current authors and simultaneously sad for themselves/ friends.

I just hope on the second shelf we discover authors who have never been featured or on a shelf before, no matter who they are.

3 Likes