Let’s talk about... Magical!

The MAGICKA contest was just announced this week, and now we have a magical shelf with the below stories:

Have you read any of these? Are you planning to read anything else?
Do you think this shelf will encourage more people to join the contest? Any other thoughts? :eyes:

15 Likes

I’ve only read 2, Subverted and Rift.

Subverted has very creative directing, it actually inspired me to up my game because it made me see you didn’t have to be limited. I realised I’m a few episodes behind so I’ll have to catch up those week but definitely would recommend to anyone who likes fantasy/adventure stories. Also, idk which love interest I like best :sob:

Rift made me idle_jawdrop the entire way through. I found everything about it to be just perfect, the pacing, the characters, the directing. All of it :chef: Definitely deserves to be featured.

I was surprised that the limelight version of Your Silhouette was there since the ink version was featured in November. I noticed they have done that with other stories which I find a little bit :grimacing::grimacing:

And yes, I do think it will probably inspire and/or convince more people to join Magicka

9 Likes

I have read Eternal Oblivion for two reasons, the most important being that I saw your recommendation @Annieways and was waiting for more time to read it.
I was amazed by the overlay work, I loved the magic circles, I adore Amara and Drew dynamics, I like how past events are shown. I have already told @SilverLady this, so no new info for her :rofl:
Not only it fits the shelf but also it’s a fantastic story that deserves recognition.

Congratulations to all authors :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

PS: I may come back after other people comment because I like to check stories that haven’t been read crazy I know…

2 Likes

I was also surprised by this tbh :eyes: If the ink version was featured more than a year ago, I don’t think it would bother me, but it was barely two months ago so :grimacing:

I also kinda :grimacing: about this one. I read it when it was published for the Fantastical contest almost 2 years ago. It’s never been updated, I don’t even remember what it was about lol. I’m also pretty sure the author left the community so I doubt it would be updated

5 Likes

I’m extremely in love with Wings of Light!!! Very happy to see it here :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Same, I checked some stories out to get more inspiration for my contest entry but it just made me a little less confident :joy: guess I have to step up my game too.

4 Likes

I believe so, many great stories can inspire others.

PS: @Annieways, the tag for Ophetine and the 5 tasks is @EpisodeHoneyy

2 Likes

I was so happy to see Subverted on this shelf, really well deserved. The character development, the plot development, the directing, everything is just amazing in this story.

I also read the first 3 chapters of Eternal Oblivion it’s either the author updating fast, or me being too slow but it was pretty interesting and the story definitely fits the shelf.

I was waiting for someone to bring this up, and I agree with this:

And this:

I’ve been wondering: do you guys think Episode was aware of this? I mean, it was literally 2 months ago! I’d like to clarify that I obviously don’t blame the author, but I think Episode should pay more attention to this, because there are many other stories out there :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

I think they are aware tbh. I’m pretty sure they have a review team who specifically reviews stories that could be on shelves. I know that there are more magic theme stories (judging by comments on the Instgram post) that haven’t been previously featured, so it’s a bit disappointing on their part to feature a style revamp that was featured VERY recently.

4 Likes

I think they must have records to keep up with which stories have been featured before. There was a list of all the stories featured from Jan 2019 to June 2019 back when some people weren’t able to see shelves that they posted on Zendesk but they aren’t adding to that anymore. Maybe there’s even some kind of mark on stories that have been featured before that only admins would see on their version of the app :woman_shrugging: if there’s not, there should be. But ink and limelight versions would be treated as seperate stories anyway. I agree with @Pooja, it’s just disappointing on episode’s part

5 Likes

I read Spilled Love Potion when it first came out, which wasn’t too long ago. It’s quite alright! Love the comedic moments.

1 Like

I super honored for all of the support for Subverted :heart: :sweat_smile: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
This kind of caught me off guard- I’ve been doing a lot of non-episode stuff and to come back to all of this is crazy. But! It’s gotten me motivated to write! And we’re finally at a place in Subverted where the story gets bigger and we add more characters, so I’m excited to have so many new readers come along for the ride :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m reading the Wings of Light, and it’s really interesting!

1 Like

I read Dead Wings way back for the fantastical contest. The author posted recently that the next chapter will be coming soon, but I’d honestly have to reread it to remember what happened as it’s been so long.
I know I really liked it though as it was more of a dark fantasy with a thriller element.

I’ve also read some of Spilled Love Potion. It’s light and funny and I’m enjoying it so far, but I think I’m only up to episode 4.

Rift and Subverted have both been on my list for a while so I really should check them out.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m really honored to stand there with all those big authors :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: while ago I revamped the story and I’m curious to hear what you think about it.

I’ve only read spilled love potion and Eternal oblivion and I love them both.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! Being featured has left me feeling shocked and humbled. I never thought my story would do so well. :flushed: The only other story being featured that I’ve read was Ophetine and the 5 Tasks, which I really enjoyed. I’m planning on reading the other featured stories as soon as I get my next chapter posted and have the time. :laughing:

2 Likes

Congrats!!! Loved it!!!

3 Likes

I’ve been hoping LOUD would get on a shelf for months now. It’s really a great mix of seriousness, fun, and RPG charm. And I have a special affinity for the two main LI characters and MC. So… :partying_face:

I think Rift will be a strong introduction to the rest of the story. After all, it got featured with only three episodes out and published not that long ago! And the cover is so beautiful.

Wings of Light is an interesting take on the story of Peter Pan and Wendy (it’s not anything like the plot of the original, but you can tell what it’s building on and subverting) and the branching for it really is very good. You can tell a lot of care went into the planning for WOL.

Haven’t read any of the others yet!

5 Likes

@Sydney_H, please close :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks!

1 Like

Closed by OP request. :smiley: