Let’s talk about the new ranking system! 💎

Hey guys!
As a lot of you know, Episode changed up their ranking system to include gem choices. This has caused some major… annoyance… in the community.

A lot of big authors that are extremely talented have had their ranks dropped by not a little, but a lot! And let’s take a second to think about this. If well known authors are struggling with this, then how does this affect the small community author.
In my personal opinion, which you might not agree with, if big authors are hurting because of this then small authors are really going to struggle. Sure small authors become big authors, but if people don’t know about their stories (bc they aren’t well known) then their story doesn’t get reads and less people will chose the gem choice. This means that small authors won’t make the shelves as easily. This really takes away a lot of motivation for writing, sure you will have readers, but if your getting no where with your story because no one can find it then for some people: “what’s the point.” I am not saying that all authors will struggle with motivation because of this, but I have talked to a lot and they are already.
What’s really sad to me is that Episode claimed that this wouldn’t affect rankings too much. That was completely not true, as I said before.
A lot of people have bashed this on IG claiming that Episode is doing this just to gain money. Well Episode is a company, so they do have to do something to pay workers and make profit. However, the moment that you explicitly show that you value money over author’s ability to share their creative ideas then the purpose of the app changes entirely, into one that is just looking for how to make a buck. (Again, you don’t have to agree with me on this! I can see where other arguments come from!)

Honestly, if Episode wants to add the gem ranking system I think there is a better way. One that will allow small authors to get their voices heard and for Episode to make money.

Why not make two shelves for each genre?
I understand this is a lot of coding and time to make two shelves but think about it. One shelf could have the old ranking system which will be beneficial to those trying to make it. And then the other shelf could be for stories that had a lot of gem choices chosen.
At this point Episode probably won’t revert back to their previous ranking system only, so new alternatives should be met.

All together, what do you guys think about:

• The new ranking system
  • My opinions (do you agree or disagree and why/why not
  • What alternatives could be used to remedy this conflict between authors and Episode?

I will respect each and every one of your opinions as we are all entitled to our own opinions. I ask that you all do the same so no issues are caused. :blue_heart:

17 Likes

I agree, I really hate the new ranking system episode’s trying out. I get if there’s like an optional support the author with gems choice at the end of the story, but I’m really hoping that gems won’t be brought to community stories. I know there’s an option to already, but if people find out that this is how you can increase your ranking, then more and more stories will get filled with gem choices. Featured stories already have a gem choice like every 2 lines, we really don’t need this in the community section too.

As for your idea about different shelves, I feel like there’s definitely potential there. But yeah it would take a really long time to develop and actually be brought to the app. Honestly, I just wish nothing would have to change, but I also get that Episode’s a company and they have a business to run.

13 Likes

Yeah, I don’t read Episode featured stories for this reason. (Well that and they usually are no where near as good)

It will which is understandable. It’s just that at this point Episode needs to needs to think of something. :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I just really think that if Episode is going to commit to doing this, they should offer a free gem at the end of community episodes, too— * not * just featured stories.

The lack of gem options is a huge reason why people read community stories in the first place and it’s tough to see that being taken away.

16 Likes

It’s good that at least a lot of authors that I read from, will be making the choices free for the most part and only will be adding gem choices for points or bonus scenes (nothing that will dramatically affect the plot line).

5 Likes

What’s annoying me the most is how buggy it all seems to be. Which I know I should have expected but 1. I expect more from a company making as much as Episode does and 2. This year has just been enough already. :sob:

My one story that’s been in the top of romance hasn’t been effected too much. The rank is changing a lot but it’s not throwing me down 200 spots like it is some people. I’m going to guess that’s because it uses gems and the gems seem to be being bought (based on my stats).

My other one I’ve been updating again though…boy. In the last like day and a half it’s someone managed to: trend, get out of trending, come back in trending, get as high as 23 in drama…And I definitely am not making the reads to stay up that high. I did some math and figured out I’ve gotten roughly 115 reads in the last 24 hours. Not enough to stay in drama trending for sure.
I’m also noticing that even when I’m in trending I’m not reaping any benefits. When you’re as high as 20s-50s in drama you can pretty much expect to get at least 50-100 reads/hour. I’ve been getting 3-5 here and there and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to how the ranks are going up and down. The only “sense” I can sort of make is that it seems to be going up some when a gem choice is picked at all.
This leads me to believe that either 1. the ranks aren’t showing up for everyone like they’re supposed to or 2. Episode isn’t counting some reads (To me it’s just not feasible that stories are getting in the top 30 of the second hardest genre to trend in and yet not gaining reads??).

I’m not one to expect reads from a glitch but if the system is going to screw up, hell, we might as well all benefit from it. :joy::joy: At this point I don’t know what’s going on. :woozy_face::woman_facepalming:t2:

You’d be surprised how many stories already had gems before this was in place. It’s just most people couldn’t see them. Also if you do that it would really hurt the authors who do use them in their stories since no one would read theirs. I think a better alternative really would be for them to 1. make it where we can earn gems with community stories and 2. get this glitching fixed so we all have a better idea of what gem wise is really going to benefit us.

1 Like

That’s so true! This will give people the actual opportunity to support the authors!
Pretty sure they won’t do this because they want people to read featured versions of stories to help them get money.

1 Like

This is really good! I’m really happy about this too!
I’m just disappointed about the ranking system :pensive:

1 Like

That’s such a good point! I completely forgot the rankings have really been screwed up recently because of this

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t mind authors taking advantage of the gem feature while still letting the readers freely enjoy the story at no cost, but the ranking system is what worries me a bit more. I don’t think it’ll affect ranking too much, but I feel like it might be harder for smaller authors.

1 Like

I assume the rollout hasn’t finished yet.

1 Like

Yeah that’s true, the stories I’ve seen with gems so far have just been for things like sneak peeks and bonus scenes. Unlike featured stories where you either have to wear a trash bag or a dress for like 100 gems.

3 Likes

Sooo I decided to test something out. I pulled my archived gem version of my story Hit and Run out of archive (it’s been in archive for MONTHS), read the first chapter and bought the gem choice.

I just went from 469 in horror to…

That’s literally 1 read in days since this story was in archive lol

Meanwhile the non-gem version which usually trends top 15, is #28.

4 Likes

wait seriously wow omg

2 Likes

It seems that gems spent are worth wayyy more than reads in terms of trending. 1 read :rofl:
I’m going to read another chapter and see if I can bump myself up into the top 2
(I’m pretty sure this story hasn’t been reviewed so I don’t think it’ll be visible anyway)

1 Like

You can be trending without having been reviewed.

2 Likes

I thought it wasn’t possible to be seen? Or have they changed that now? That wasn’t possible a few months ago.

1 Like

Yea, gem choices have a big impact, which is annoying since Episode said that they wouldn’t affect rankings much. Which is untrue since a lot of well known authors have dropped in rank…

2 Likes

Pro tip (especially for less popular genres): Add a gem choice in your first chapter and read your own story. lol

2 Likes

This is my exact worry. To me, it was fair for a story’s “popularity” to be determined by the amount of reads within a certain time frame. Now, occasional gem purchases are having a huge say in the matter of what’s “relevant”

I’m perfectly fine with author’s adding gem choices to get more support from the writer’s payment program, but I think that they’ve crossed a line by adding a “punishment” for not including gem choices.

6 Likes