Lets discuss mental health triggers in stories!

Ok so obviously most stories need or have a trigger warning for something(ex-language)but what about for mental health related topics?
Honestly I’ve had my fair share of mental health problems so I know how it feels so one thing I do in my story is try to bring mental health into my story because things people go through and the effect it would have on the person is rarely shown in some stories. So I wanted to bring mental health awareness to my stories (the stories aren’t directly about mental health but things that the people in my story have gone through).
There’s this one problem I have in my story is that in the episode I’m currently writing the character ends up having a panic attack in front of the LI. In the scene I gave narration of the main characters thoughts and how they felt, and the LI reacting too their panic attack. But the thing is I’m concerned I guess you could say that this could trigger people.
I mainly just wanted to know how everyone thought about this topic!
Do you think their should be a choice to read the narration or not?
Should it just be a simple warning (readerMessage)?
Do you think you shouldn’t need to warn someone because they read at their own risk?

3 Likes

Everyone is different so I would probably add a warning, maybe some struggle with the same thing and would want to skip the scene?

1 Like

Yea for the panic attack scene I had a warning in red flashing font saying to tap threw it if they might be triggered. I also had another scene where the girl talks to her friend about the flash back (I gave a choice for this one) she had and in the choice to read it , it just talks about what triggered her (the main character has ptsd from people from her past) and that she felt like her past abuser was there and was touching her(hence why I gave the choice) but I don’t know if even that might have been too much to write or if it would be fine because I gave the choice.

2 Likes

U MUST always warn the readers at all times, while they are reading you may never know when the triggering scene is coming, well you might, because you wrote the story, so u must always give the readers a warning or heads up that a triggering scene is coming.

I’d put the message in the narration box, because it’s better than the reader’s message.

Yes, and skipping choice, to skip the scene/narration.

Thank you for your enput :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be fine since u gave the choice, but be careful that it isn’t a lot of descriptions about the character being touched/abused because of Episode’s guidelines.

1. Assault, Violence & Torture:

a. No graphic / explicit / detailed descriptions of rape / assault / murder / torture / violence / gore / etc. This includes (but is not limited to): heavy or excessive use of blood or weapons or scars, use of dead bodies or body parts
b. No depiction of torture or parental abuse on screen

Would you mind to have a private convo and I can send you my script for the choice and have you look over it?
I just would like a second person perspective of it!

1 Like

Okay

The story im writing rn mentions some things about mental health so I put a warning in the beginning of the episode

Always put trigger warning. If possible, a skip option.
That’s what I’m doing in my stories. :slight_smile: