Let's have a debate, whether it is okay to use Google images

Commissioning someone is an option. Trust me there are loads of threads on here that take requests I can list them off if you’d like. I can also provide links to tons of drives with hundreds of backgrounds for you to use. I’m sure you’re bound to find something as long as it isn’t crazy specific. We use google for an everyday search engine. It’s just like Bing and Pinterest. A search engine that capacity has trillions of content that may not even be marked correctly. Even if it’s marked as commerically free, it might be copyrighted still. That’s why you must use a reverse image search to find the origin of the image. You should be taking these precautions to protect yourself. You are free to do however you please but I dont think it’s advisable to recommend others to do the same.

2 Likes

man, this is great, thanks. didn’t know there was a website for that.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. For the comments very insightful about what people think.

1 Like

I don’t really think this is debatable…

Unless you are okay with the removal of your account, and potentially getting sued…

Others on this thread state why it is not okay to use Google images, you are basically breaking the law, and breaking your agreement with Episode, by using Google’s images.

And, it might not JUST resort in getting your account removed, if you use a more popular picture, from a more popular artist, then that artist could sue both you and Episode, and since you were the one that broke your agreement with Episode, and used a copyrighted image by mistake, you could potentially get sued.

I’d recommend to just use websites like upsplash, pixabay, or pexels, that state that these photos are free to use, and edit. Even if you click the settings on Google to only give you free-to-use images, some of them were probably stolen from a certain site, and used without permission, and claimed as “free-to-use”

There are a lot more options than Google, that are WAY better, and offer WAY better pictures.

3 Likes

If it gets approved can we just live and let live

1 Like

I’ve seen fan art by a popular artist of famous characters being used for covers and yet the story is still up. Episode clearly has inconsistent rules here.

2 Likes

If you see something that is breaking the guidelines I recommend reporting it. Episode should look into it and decide whether to take it down. They definitely are inconsistent. However, their TOS do not protect you from copyright laws. I’ll reiterate. It’s the law. When you check that box you claim all responsibility and waive Episode from any legal issues that may arise in the future. Episode will not take the fall if an image gets past the team. They are human like the rest of us and make mistakes. Images slip through. It’s going to happen, but here’s the thing: people shouldn’t be uploading images that they know are copyright claimed in hopes of not being caught. If you aren’t going to abide by Episode’s rules, then don’t use their platform. The rules are in place for a reason. When it comes to legal issues and the property of another person, you cannot do whatever you want.

5 Likes

has anyone actually gotten sued for using a background found on google?

2 Likes

I honestly have no idea. I believe there was an issue before they had us claim responsibility for the images. They only integrated this system 2 or so years ago (I could be wrong on that time frame, its just an estimate but nonetheless, fairly recent). I don’t know if there have been any issues recently after they added the waiver. “you represent and warrant that such content is original to you or that you otherwise own the rights”. Just because issues haven’t arisen doesn’t mean they won’t though. I would still err on the side of caution.

2 Likes

would it be legal if we make edits to a background? Like if we add some furniture to a bedroom background?

It’s totally okay to make edits to episode backgrounds. If you find a commercially free background then you are also allowed to make adjustments as you wish. You should, however, make no changes to copyrighted images. That means changing colors, removing watermarks, etc.

I believe Lana linked Joseph Evans’ YouTube video regarding backgrounds which includes lots of information regarding this subject. I recommend you check it out if you haven’t already.

4 Likes

you really should check out the video…he talks about websites to use to get pictures and app to use for adding stuff to a background…like Gimp and how he uses that app along with episode approved backgrounds to make “new” backgrounds

If it isn’t copy written, what’s the issue?

I really think Episode should put something out (whether on the forums or the writer portal) that goes further into detail with their background guidelines. That would definitely eliminate a lot of confusion, especially how much confusion there is in this thread along with people who didn’t know you couldn’t just pick any random photo and put it in your story.

Responsibility falls on your shoulders for your assets. You really need to make sure they are okay for commercial use as well as adaptation (being edited).

This isn’t just a preference. It’s copyright law that everyone must follow.

3 Likes

The thing is that it’s hard to know what is copyrighted or not. Just because it was approved doesn’t mean the review team didn’t slip up and accidentally okay a copyrighted image.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s fair, but I’d say if it was from something like pixabay it would fine right?

To me, it’s the same issue in that because there is such an expansive, steady influx of images coming in, they might okay a copyrighted image without realizing. It’s best to do some digging with reverse google search and stuff like that to find out for yourself.

2 Likes

Okay! Yup agree with that!

1 Like

I am not recommending anything to anyone. Comissioning costs money which is something many people don’t have

2 Likes