Let's take a moment to talk about sad endings (poll and discussion)

Choose a sad ending touches you the most in a story.
  • LI dies.
  • MC dies.
  • Both LI and MC dies.
  • Both LI and MC lost their memories.
  • LI and MC were separated and they lost contact with each other forever (they will probably have their own family).
  • The whole story is just MC’s imagination (even LI could be her imagination, he/she didn’t exist at all).
  • A family member that MC loved the most died for MC (if it’s the sad ending of a story that’s not in the romance genre).
  • Others (you can comment a little bit about it).

0 voters

How do you feel about those sad endings above? Please share your thoughts, I look forward to your comments.

1 Like

I would say the MC and LI dies in the arms of each other

2 Likes

I think every ending is sad in its own way and I’m all in for sad ones cause I love drama!
BUT I wouldn’t recommend writing an ending where something is just in the imagination. At the end when it comes out it feels like the whole story is in vain and it was a waste of time :slight_smile: in my opinion :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I don’t like sad endings if they come out of absolutely nowhere, but I definitely enjoy them when they fit the story. I think it only really makes sense for the MC or LI to die if they’re in danger for the entire story or if they have some sort of illness.

I chose the imagination option because I think that sort of thing makes a really good story, and that kind of ending (to me) is very impactful without negating the rest of the story. (Which is funny because I’m now reading the reply above me and it says the opposite hahaha)

2 Likes

I still remember my LI died in story THE WALL. I was like wtf. I legit played it good. Was a peacemaker in it. Still got 2nd ending.

I dont like sad endings. They just… idk… make me unhappy as we chose them, soent time w them, thinking of happily ever after and them BAMM. LI dies. :grimacing:

3 Likes

What a beautiful thing, especially for MC and LI if their love and life that goes through so much difficulties.

For some reason I care about the LI a lot more than I do the MC, so whenever a LI dies it hits me a lot harder than an MC death. I also always find it really sad whenever the MC’s father is dying or dies because that really hits close to home and I can’t help but get emotional.

3 Likes

I believe there are some readers who have the same opinion as you. We will be really disappointed to learn that what we experience, the feelings we have are inherently for something that is not real in the first place.

Haha I appreciate you taking a moment to discuss this with me.
Btw, the imagination option can turn out to be a very good plot twist for the story but i’m sure some readers will feel dissatisfied instead of emotional.

1 Like

Readers like us can never guess what the author will come up with :sweat_smile: Most of us want to read a story with a happy ending. As Tammara Webber used to say:
“I’m a hopeful romantic who adores novels with happy endings, because there are enough sad endings in real life.”

I have that feeling too. The fact that the LIs in the stories are made different from real people so they bring a lot of emotions to us but relatives in the story or in real life make us all feel the same thing that is family love, so we will feel very familiar.

2 Likes

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT AFTER ENDURING A SAD ENDING I CANT SLEEP AT NIGHT AND I JUST WANNA HIDE FROM THE WORLD AND CRY FOREVER
but the thing that makes me sob the hardest is when things were just getting so good for the two and the li has cancer and dies and says a whole emotional speech to the mc like you can go on with me cuz ill always be with u in spirit :sob:
just my opinion :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Getting separated or losing contact is worse than dying in my opinion 🤷

2 Likes

I appreciate you sharing your opinion with me.
Sad endings always leave us with unforgettable emotions. Especially when LI and MC talked about a lot of great plans in the future but in the end they couldn’t do them together :disappointed: If I’m reading this sad ending and someone suddenly plays a sad song, I’ll be surrounded by tissues.

Btw, I’m glad to meet a Vietnamese on the forum. In fact, I’ve known you for a long time but now I have a chance to talk with you, it’s a pleasure!

1 Like

It’s really worse when someone who was once closest to us suddenly becomes the furthest away from us.

I agree. The imagination ending sounds great, especially if the MC has a mental health illness or has severe depression to the point where they are interacting with a LI who doesn’t exist because they suffer from loneliness. I’ve seen this done before and it can hit hard if done right.

2 Likes