Let's Talk About... Black History Month

:triumph:

3 Likes

Haven’t read any stories by any black authors atm :frowning: I know I suck as even though I am African American as well. But. I will start reading some stories by those great authors above :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m still on “break” but I really really wanted to talk about Follow Me

The only one I’ve read on the list is Follow Me - A Mystery Thriller by Clarkie and I absolutely adored the story. My “favorite part” in this story is that this story shows and not tells in regards to diversity and race and etc. ///// In stories I’ve read similar to this, the reader is drowned in readermessages explaining stuff and like I see it as if you needed to tell us in a readerMessage rather than incorporate into the story — it’s probably not important. With that being said, I adored the extra care in the characters in the story. Different sexualities… different races… TBH the scene that made me smile the most was the two Muslim characters taking off their hijabs because I’ve never read a story where that happens. through some basic religious classes I took at school, I know Muslim women can take off their hijabs (I believe in their home and / or around other women). Like, I felt that small detail was the difference between an author who wants to add diversity for the sake of diversity and an author who took the time to learn about diversity to better add it into their story.

7 Likes

:sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart: thank you !!

3 Likes

Thank you so much!! Your message is so sweet! I’m really glad you enjoyed my story, this really means so much to me :sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Congrats to the authors! :clap:t5: :clap:t5: :clap:t5: Y’all deserved it.

This is the first bookshelf where I have read the majority of the stories featured lol The only stories I haven’t read yet is ‘Follow Me’ and ‘Love Has No Color’. I will check those out later.

3 Likes

You deserved it honestly. :heart::see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Forever Young sounds very interesting (no idea why I have never seen it before). I could only read two episodes, and I am not going to lie, the lack of punctuation is a huge turn off, but the premise is promising and I have a feeling that choices really matter here. I paid no heed to the genre, but apparently it is adventure. To be frank, I thought I was reading drama. Too soon to say if it fits the genre, though.

Anyway, so far, I like what I read. The lack of punctuation makes dialogue seem a little rushed, but perhaps Jalissa fixed it later on? I sure hope so :smile:

3 Likes

I’ve read MAWAZZA (tho I thought the name was The Color of Blue or something) and it’s interesting, but at least in the first three chapters more of a thriller than a horror but I sense that we (the readers) are heading in that direction.

Yes, it fits the shelf. I think choices matter but like I’m pretty sure I pressed ‘give him my number’ and Chance and the MC keep talking about how I didn’t give him my number. shrug

Also, I haven’t read a story with like a beginning intro (like t.v. shows) in a long time and found that interesting. Oh, and I think there are gem choices but I don’t see them.

2 Likes

They all deserved it!

2 Likes

New stories have been added for week 3, sooooooo bump!

3 Likes

(still on break but like I like to talk about stories)

I’ve read Her Secrets, His Sins - the ink version like a few weeks ago. I found the story to be not my type, as it’s serious and hints at toxic relationships and I’m more of a kittens and rainbow reader, so I did not continue after 3.

Yes it fits on the shelf.
I can’t quite remember the genre.
Yeah, choices matter. I remember bc I click the option that the author did not recommended. :stuck_out_tongue:
I’d recommend this story who like heavy drama and who are 15, possibly 18+ bc of the mature themes.

2 Likes

Bump

So maybe it’s just me, but has anyone else noticed that the stories featured the first week seemed to do much better than the following weeks?
Maybe in future, Episode could add some kind of “updated” or sign on the shelf when the stories change? Like what they do when the featured stories get updated on the genre shelves? Because I’m wondering if a lot of people just don’t bother to look after the first week and assume it’s the same.

9 Likes

Yeah, definitely. I think this is because a HUGE portion of Episode readers aren’t actually active on IG like that. They wouldn’t know about updates unless they actively went in there to see.

6 Likes

Ohhh, that’s a good point. They could name it BMH 1/2/3 for each changing week or something. We had monthly shelves last year that didn’t change, so I wouldn’t be surprised if some people just assumed it hasn’t changed.

Don’t know if this discussion would be of interest to @Liz but I’m going to tag her just in case it’s something the team hasn’t considered.

3 Likes

Too much baby mama drama by @Lex2 is AWESOME

4 Likes

Ty :blush:

1 Like

:blue_heart:

1 Like

All the ones I’ve read from this month:

Forever Young

Ahh, I love this story so much.
Choices matter, I enjoy seeing all the flashbacks from the first lifetime, fits the shelf… The genre? Uh, at first I was confused seeing it in adventure, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I’d recommend it for people who like seeing consequences for their choices. Also, I have no idea who the husband is/was and it kills me

the c.r.e.w

I think it fits the shelf, I’m a few episodes behind on this one and I can’t quite remember if choices matter? I think some do and some don’t? I’d recommend it for people who prefer reading stories where the MC’s are beyond high school age.

Kotton Kandie

Another one I’m behind on, but fairly sure choices do matter for certain things. MC is very different to most typical Episode stories in that she is an adult and moving on from a problematic relationship. She’s seeing a therapist in the first episode. Good fit for the shelf.

Echo Creek

This is easily my favourite story on episode and I would recommend it to anyone. Choices matter and it feels very interactive. Perfect fit for the shelf. Definitely think it fits in adventure genre, there’s a few sub genres, but ultimately the adventure story line is quite clear.