Let's talk about colorism

I literally see no topics on Colorism here so I went ahead and decided to get one started.

Definition

“Discrimination based on skin color, also known as colorism or shadeism, is a form of prejudice or discrimination usually from members of the same race in which people are treated differently based on the social implications from cultural meanings attached to skin color.”

I’m an 18 year old African American, I’m also Brown-Skinned.

I’ll start with my personal experiences:

Now. I have never had outright colorist experiences from random people but I have been side eyed due to my skin complexion. Most of my colorist encounters came from family. I am just a shade or two lighter than my very dark-skin and beautiful family members.

I also have a grade up on hair texture. Growing up my Aunt, Grandmother, And Cousin would compete with me and always see me as the “perfect” girl of the group and if I ever complained or had an issue/stood up for myself I would continuously be told not to act “Boujie” or “Stop whining because you have this and that.”

I’ll never forget doing my hair and asking my cousin why I could lay down my baby-hairs so flat and it wasn’t out of spite or to anger her but a genuine question. I was young and I thought as black people how was I laying it down easily as oppose to my lighter counterparts.

She said in the most irritated voice “Because you have good hair d*mn.”
I’ve been dealing with anxiety since a child so I kept quiet.

On the discrimination side, I had a light skin friend who my family would compare me to. Talking about how straight her hair is, Or her complexion. It got to where I grew a complex myself and started comparing myself to her as-well it didn’t help that on my father’s side they were lighter than me with light brown eyes.

I have always been somewhat stuck in the middle, Wanting to make my darker side of the family but wanting to fit in with my lighter side as-well.

What are you’re experiences with colorism/shadeism?

Sidenote: Colorism can come from anywhere, Family, People, Yourself. Stay strong and don’t let anyone bend you’re confidence or self-love. :blob_hearts:

5 Likes

I can in no way say I have ever experince anything like this.

but i like to say something with hair. me I am happy for my straight hair there is easy to brush. but I have always loved the curly hair black people have its really pretty . and I admire the ability they have to take care of it. I myself can barely remember to brush it evryday. (actually I think its 3 days since last I did it)

1 Like

Thank you love. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.