Let's talk about diverse characters

You don’t need every single minority group in your story for your cast to be diverse! It’s all about making the diversity feel natural. The fact is that we live in a multicultural world and a lot of Episode readers want the stories they read to reflect that.

But you aren’t obligated to make your cast diverse. It’s just a good idea if you want to appeal to a lot of readers.

6 Likes

They anonymously gave me feedback so I don’t know who did :disappointed:

2 Likes

Aha. It’s most likely one of those annoying trolls that try to pull stunts like that. It’ll happen.

5 Likes

Don’t worry about it. I’ve had people ask me why my cast is straight. I was like… dude. I have 4 gay people, 5 bi people and 2 pansexual people in the main cast

7 Likes

ppl r just stupid these days. Or whatever ya want to call em. lol

3 Likes

Didn’t someone complain to Elise she didn’t have diversity? :joy: I was done.

4 Likes

@EpisodeShadow that’s fantastic they insult your story and hide away :unamused:

@ShanniiWrites that’s stupid maybe they don’t know enough about all the different people out there :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

No–I think they said “TOKEN BLACK BESTFRIEND”! :sob: Unlike others, Elise gave her a personality and likable. Frick off.

2 Likes

The fact is that anyone who wants you to start cramming diversity into your story for their sake wants to turn it into a box-ticking exercise. That’s bad diversity!

5 Likes

Diversity is a wonderful thing. You should use it sparingly to learn about one’s culture. If you find the culture highly interesting, you’d honestly have no problem in putting different types of characters in your story! :blush:

Yours truly,
-Laney :rainbow:

4 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t say use it sparingly. I mean, I don’t think you can really use diversity, but more than that, there are so many different minority groups that it’s hard to be frugal with diversity and create an authentic cast

4 Likes

Thank you and welcome to the community :wave:

2 Likes

Very true! I think diversity shouldn’t be used just to get reads or something as wrong as that.

4 Likes

I best do some research and see how I can place diversity in to my next story thank you all for your advice and help :hugs::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m glad to be a part of it! :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah! It’s terrible when people turn it into a box ticking thing. They just turn people from different social groups into objects they can use in their story

2 Likes

Tbh, I feel like people use diversity for granted. Like they don’t think it’s too important but I couldn’t imagine the world without it.

3 Likes

This is an amazing attitude! It’s great to see someone so mature about diversity :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: when I get to my PC, I’ll send you some links for places on the forums that you can find help

3 Likes

Thank you very much that would be brilliant :ok_hand:t3::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I remember in one story, this popular author grouped a bunch of Muslims, panned to then, and said in Narration “A whole new world.”

2 Likes