Let's talk about it: anxiety (read post below)

Hello everybody, my name is Amani if you don’t know me. I would just like to start off by saying you guys are all amazing and wonderful.

So here’s the introduction!

Welcome to the Let’s Talk About It first thread. Every week I will make a new thread, each one about something different.

Feel free to share your personal feelings, stories, and thoughts on each.

Please remember that if you don’t follow the forum rules, I will personally flag your comment and the moderators can deal with it.

If this by any means gets out of hands, I will close down the thread.

This will be a sophisticated, and responsible discussion.

Without further ado:

Let’s talk about anxiety.

Anxiety is one of the most common disorders. It is common in children and seniors but very common between teens, young adults, and adults. There are more than 3,000,000 cases in the U.S. per year.

There’s general anxiety
Social anxiety
Specific phobias
Panic disorders
OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)
PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder)

Do not undermine someone’s own personal anxiety as everyone’s anxiety takes different forms but here are some more common symptoms of anxiety:

• Fatigue, restlessness, or extreme sweating
  • Lack of concentration, racing or unwanted thoughts
  • Hypervigilance or irritability
  • excessive worry, fear, feeling of impending doom, insomnia, nausea, palpitations, or trembling
Treatments
Therapy

Therapy is great but definitely not for everyone. For me personally, I don’t like going to therapists, it feels like talking to a fake person.

Many people on the other hand, find it a good way to get their feelings out.

medication

Medication is not everyone’s favourite choice but is always smart. It can help relieve stress at times and help you ease the symptoms. Remember they MUST be prescribed by doctors.

Self-care

Make sure to eat well, sleep well, and live well. Always save some time for yourself and take at least 10-20 minutes a day to collect your thoughts.

So if you good have any other ideas, feel free to share Those and maybe some personal experience. Let’s talk about it!

13 Likes

hello, i love this <3 i have different types of anxiety so this is a helpful thread. i use an app called mindshift that has tips and other stuff about lots of anxiety and other related disorders/phobias like that. i’ve had it for a long time, and yeah, it really sucks because i feel so bad when i can’t do something, but it’s because it’s just hard. and then my mother acts like just making me go into an uncomfortable social situation will help, when it never has.

5 Likes

Thank you for this! I’m not really sure exactly which sort of anxiety I have since sometimes it can go from general anxiety to like being nervous about presenting or it can be like I have a panic attack or one time I fainted. I also have this thing where big groups scare me so much, like just seeing one filled of the popular group can send me into a panic attack. The weird thing? I’m in the popular group, I can’t even hang out with my own friends! Idk this is just a personal thing cause it has something to do with what happened in previous experiences with the popular group in middle school…

3 Likes

It sounds like you’ve got severe anxiety. It’s very hard to get through but remember to stay hydrated. Next week’s topic will be anxiety attacks and how to deal with them so stay vigilant.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’m going to a therapist so hopefully that will help.

2 Likes

Hello! Congratulations on creating this conversation. This is very important. Dealing With Anxiety Disorders is a battle every minute. I don’t want to sound opportunistic, but I have a story that deals with it. It’s that story: “If no one has written something you’d like to read, write it yourself.” Isn’t easy to represent someone diagnosed with anxiety disorder. There are many types and there are individual factors very unique, according to each person. … so much taboo about anxiety disorders. My story “Salt and Sugar: Breakfast” My goal is to try to tell a little bit about how it is … and maybe distribute a little empathy. To all who have been diagnosed by professionals, be strong. Of value to the small battles you win! U can talk to me! :hugs::purple_heart:

1 Like

Meditation and Mindfullness Help me a Lot, Girls :purple_heart::hugs: Please, give It a try. Your mental Health deserve!

1 Like

Once a psychiatrist told me, "When someone breaks a leg, everyone understands that it’s something serious.But when it comes to the psyche, they can’t see it, so they may not understand it, but that doesn’t change that something ia seriously wrong and need care, treatment ".So girls, don’t let anyone diminish or compare your pain. all human suffering is valid! It isn’t because it’s psychological that it is not real. It’s real and you’re not alone!

2 Likes

Love the thread idea A.

Anyways…I was diagnosed severe Generalized Anxiety Disorder when I was 4 or 5 so around 9 or 10ish years. I was also diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder but it’s gotten better than it was when I was 4 or 5. I’ve gone through therapy but it didnt do anything. Ive been taking meds almost my whole life because of this so I’m used to them and tbh self care for me isnt really beneficial at all because I always find a way around the positive. Like for example when I made a playlist on spotify for the set list for the European leg of Shawn Mendes’s tour I was listening to it and then had a panic attack because I knew that I’d never get to see him in concert because hes coming on a Sunday for me and I’ll probably stop liking him by the time he comes again, if he ever does. I also was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder and Major Depression Disorder. I was also hit by a car in September of 2017 and probably have PTSD but I dont really open up when asked about it, I’ll usually just break down. Even little things that someone says can set me off. Panic attacks for me last up to as long as they can be. I had one like 1 and a halfish weeks ago and it lasted for around 2 hours only because someone I knew scared me by putting their hands on my shoulders and saying boo. I also hate when people say I’m here for you or you can talk to me about it. Even when people say I’m all ears. I find it just makes everything worse. Like writing this is probably going to send me into a panic attack.

3 Likes

Stay strong! :purple_heart: Did u try some alternative therapy? Like Mindfullness, meditation…Help me a Lot, a Lot …for real!

2 Likes

Yup I’ve tried a ton nothing helps I’m even a mess without my meds

2 Likes

I understand! :frowning: This is really hard, I know! I wish u a Lot of love! I use Med too. But meditation, classical music, read, Paint and write helps a Lot.

1 Like

Anxiety!

Man. I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder. I don’t know when it started. But I worry a lot, and it gets so bad that I don’t like going outside sometimes… I also have PTSD from traumatic experiences in my life. Sometimes when I remember it, I start trembling a lot. Or I’d just break down and cry. I have nightmares, intrusive thoughts, flashbacks and panic attacks. What helps me is writing my poems. Great outlet for me. :heart:

2 Likes

I have ocd, anxiety and ptsd… um… I’m lost for words, really. I can’t think of anything to say, which is um, super unusual. I may come back later :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Hey guys! That week’s discussion is WELL over so I’m sorry! I’ll be creating a new one with a topic I already have in mind. @Sydney_H @Jeremy hello, can you please shut down this topic? Thank you!

4 Likes

Closed by OP request. :slight_smile: