Let's Talk About . . . May Picks!

Umm, that’s kind of disappointing to hear. Is it off screen and thus technically not breaking guidelines? Or is it descriptively recounted?

1 Like

The forced undressing and the chloroform were on screen while the rape was off screen. It wasn’t graphic but whatever was happening was very clear. I guess you could say it’s sort of in this grey area of “well, if the actual rape is off-screen then maaaayyyybe it’s ok for Episode…?” but it was disturbing to read nonetheless, especially on a PG13 app, so I felt it was necessary to let people know about that scene. But if you’re not fazed by that, then I’m sure the story can still be enjoyable :blush: I personally couldn’t get past that since I’m always quickly repulsed by those kinds of scenes.

4 Likes

Okeh, so blurred lines basically… Not really something I’d expect to see on an editor’s pick themed shelf though… :thinking:

It didn’t happen in Blurred Lines though, Mars killed him.

It isn’t the first time it happens, but I guess it feels worse this time since I really was into the story. Oh well, back to browsing author’s recommendations :frowning:

2 Likes

I meant blurred lines as in the saying, not Blurred Lines the story. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

LOL, sorry, I thought that since it had a similiar scene. :smile:

1 Like

Weird, I don’t get either why Episode would feature a story like this. From plot perspective, was there at least any point to include this scene? Or was that just some random plot twist?

1 Like

They often do, sadly :frowning:

I found it quite unnecessary. The author probably included it to show how powerful, cruel, and menacing the “Master” is, but there are countless ways to do that without including rape. And then the chloroform…? I don’t want to find out what happens afterwards. There was no need for any of this.

I wish they had just taken the example of President Snow in the Hunger Games: all powerful, cruel, menacing, but no rape was involved to convey how powerful of a villain he is.

3 Likes

Well, Hunger Games would also violate the guidelines in many other ways, but yeah, I get your point :slightly_smiling_face:
I’m fine with some disturbing scenes in a 16+/18+ movie, but I wouldn’t expect to see it on Episode.

1 Like

Definitely :sweat_smile: I just mentioned President Snow since he’s a good example of an all powerful villain who isn’t a rapist.

I personally can’t watch those kinds of scenes, even if I’m past all movie age limits. But I know a lot of people are fine with them, especially when it is important to the plot (which it isn’t in this case). It’s just weird to see it on a 13+ app.

1 Like

thank you for bringing up this scene, as I agree, this seen even though from the looks of it, it does pass the guidelines, but as said, very inside a ‘grey’ area.

Maybe the mods who spy on everything will take a look :3

1 Like

Hey! Actually I am not the only one who has also entered Fantastical on this shelf :blush:
Also, Editor Pick’s usually do not have a theme :smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! :kissing:
Also, Finding Ourselves Together is amazing! :heart:

2 Likes

You are welcome and thank you for the recommendation.

1 Like

OK, so I feel like replying to this. I’m not proud of Make You Mine, I’m not forcing people to read it, it was my first one and I get that people might not like the plot or the multiple-love interest thing. But I feel like that little “side note” was kind of rude. It was unnecessary and despite the cliche plot of the story, I don’t understand why you think it’s polite to comment that like I don’t deserve those reads. I have written 5 stories on Episode and I work really hard. Now, would you like it if I criticized your success without even knowing what I’m talking about? As you said, I’m not a successful author. The only successful story was that one. How is that something worth remarking? Apparently episode readers enjoy cliche stories more! What a surprise!

4 Likes

Hello! So, I think you should know that the Episode team reviewed the whole story (including that scene specifically) and made me delete several parts that were violating the guidelines. I’m not putting a skip option in my story, because if you give a skip option and the scene following it is actually violating the guidelines, then I’m not allowed to have it there in the first place. What’s the point?
The rape scene was not described at all, it was off screen, but it was exclusively hinted at. I’m sorry if that bothered you, I should’ve been more attentive. Still, Episode did not consider that triggering or inappropriate. There are several gang stories with worse than that and that are considered perfectly acceptable to read. Am I wrong?
As for the chloroform, I don’t really see a difference, or how it would be more triggering than someone shooting her dead. Like what’s the actual difference? It’s violent and you’re killing someone, so I don’t get why that’s so incredibly more disturbing than someone shooting her dead.
In addition to you questioning the whole purpose of it, she was supposed to die and her death and punishment was supposed to give the reader the idea of how ruthless and evil that man was. It actually had a purpose, whether you see it or not, there was one.
Again, I apologize for not giving a warning before it. The whole story includes a warning, because it’s not supposed to be a lighthearted, cute romance, but rather, a cruel dystopic reality. Also, about your Hunger Games reference, it has more than one element that would not be considered acceptable on Episode. I recently read the guidelines more attentively :slight_smile:
Thank you for reading, I hope my story didn’t ruin your day.
I hope you have a nice week!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Allowing readers to skip scenes like that isn’t about avoiding violating guidelines, it’s about not having the reader potentially feel triggered by content like that.

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for coming here and answering our concerns :blush:
Episode is known for breaking their own guidelines all the time and rarely abiding by them, that’s what I meant in my first post. Whether the Episode team reviews someone’s story or not, some still aren’t suitable for young readers, especially with scenes like that. The way they go about implementing their guidelines as a 13+ app is very questionable, but that could have its own long debate that we probably shouldn’t get into on this thread.

The point of giving an option to the readers to skip certain scenes is obvious I believe. Even if the scene “technically respects the guidelines in Epsiode’s eyes”, it’s still not something most people want to or should see/read, especially young readers. Concerning the gang stories, I don’t think they’re perfectly acceptable to read, and I don’t know why they’re even there in the first place. As I already mentioned, a lot of stories on Episode clearly go against the guidelines and/or feature topics that shouldn’t be featured in a PG13 app. But that doesn’t mean everyone should do the same.

I’m sure I don’t need to explain what the difference is between getting shot and getting chloroformed. If someone is shot dead, that’s it, they’re dead. If someone is chloroformed, there is a multitude of other things that could be done to them without their knowledge. It takes more than a few seconds for someone to die from being chloroformed, so we’re just left wondering what happened to her between the moment she got chloroformed and the moment she died. Her death isn’t exactly clear but I can’t really comment on that since I stopped reading.

It’s true that the purpose of a certain plot device is somewhat subjective, but considering the fact that there are infinite ways to make a character seem ruthless and the embodiment of evil, a rape scene is objectively unnecessary. Why choose rape specifically? That’s where I don’t see any reasons. I’ve stated above how the reference of President Snow is purely to show that a character can be portrayed as ruthless, evil, and powerful without sexual assault being involved anywhere. Of course, I know that Hunger Games and some aspects of President Snow’s character would definitely not be suitable for Episode :sweat_smile:

I love reading dystopian fiction, there are just a few things that personally make me stop reading or watching something (for example, anything relating to sexual assault). But I understand that it doesn’t stop other people from enjoying the story. I came here to warn anybody who might be like me and didn’t want to be subject to reading and watching that scene. If you could still give those people the option to skip that part and have it be briefly mentioned, that’d be ideal. But either way, I won’t be there to see it.

I wish you all the best in continuing to write your story. As I said, it’s entertaining, I liked discovering the world and its characters. And I hope my comments didn’t ruin your day.
Have a nice week too!
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Finding Ourselves Together is by far one of my favorite stories on Episode at the moment. I can’t recommend it enough. She is so gifted. You can tell she takes so much care in planning out the story and each episode. So I was honored to be on the shelf with her and the other authors too of course :slight_smile:

1 Like