Let's Talk About . . . September Picks

Sorority Stalker by Carter @Carter
Living a Dream by MYSTIQUE @MystiqueEpisode
Broke AF by Katrine.stories
Not Your Ex- by Pippi
I Married a Millionaire by earlgreytea
Sweet ‘n’ Savoury

Does the story fit the shelf, is it complete? Does the cover represent the story, would you reread? Who is the audience for the story, do choices matter, is the summary misleading, does it fit the genre? Is there any other stories that might fit the shelf? Is there an underlining theme of the story (or shelf?)

~ silence ~

The following is based on the first episode from each story

Sorority Stalker

Does it fit the shelf?
It was on the shelf in September, thus making it a “fit” for the shelf… So yes.

Is it complete?
Nope.

Does the cover represent the story?
Well, yeah. If we’re to look into stereotypes, the small cover has two white blonde chicks, dressed exactly how the movies would lead me to believe sorority sisters would dress, and one of them is whispering and there’s crime scene tape. So from that I’d gather it’s about some kind of scandalous event and probably someone dies. Kinda gives me Scream Queens vibes.

Would you reread?
Nah, I’m a bit busy reading everything else on the shelf so that I can type up a comment on all the stories.

Who is the audience?
Um… People who like a good mystery, stalkers who are perhaps looking for ideas/inspiration, sorority sister’s who are stressed with college and need to read something to remind them that it could always be worse?

Do choices matter?
Yes, we’re told at the beginning choices can determine whether characters live or die… Plus you get relationship/friendship points based on your responses to people. And when you’re talking to the Sorority Sisters, there’s a few readerMessages to remind you your choices matter and your choices will be remembered. It’s actually making me a little anxious for the ones I’m not confident in… and for the one choice I accidentally tapped without reading properly :tired_face:

Is the summary misleading?
Nope. It’s not addressed too much in episode one though, but there are hints to what the story will be become. I’d guess the summary refers to the overall of the story and not just episode 1.

Does it fit the genre?
So far, there’s no mystery for me to solve, but it’s been alluded to a lot that something will happen… murders will probably happen, stalking will definitely happen, so for that I saw yes it probably fits the genre.

Living a Dream

Does it fit the shelf?

Is it complete?
Nope.

Based on what I saw from the first episode, no.
The cover made me think it would be some angel-goes-to-earth-to-find-love-and-gets-in-a-love-triangle type of story.

Would you reread?
Nah, I’m a bit busy reading everything else on the shelf so that I can type up a comment on all the stories.

Who is the audience?
Idek, I really struggled to figure out what this story was about based on the first episode. Maybe a good target audience is people who refuse to read stories that don’t have CC (because in this one you do 3 characters)?

Do choices matter?
Yes, we’re told this right after CC that they will, though I’m not sure how intensely they will matter.

based on what I read from the first episode, yes. Honestly the summary is pretty vague to begin with. I’m still not even sure what this is about.

Does it fit the genre?
Fantasy? Based on the first episode, I don’t see how it it…? But there’s 19 episodes, so I’m sure it kicks in at some point.

Additional Comments

• Really great advanced directing.
  • Uses text effects, but a little too much in my opinion.
  • Lots of custom backgrounds that look really cool.
Broke AF

Does it fit the shelf?

Is it complete?
Nope.

Not really? It’s just three people. None of them look broke AF.

Would you reread?

Who is the audience?
I’d say if you like Dirty Sexy Teenagers, you’d probably like this too. It’s definitely for people who want a sassy, mean girl as the MC. (I remember seeing a few threads asking for that not too long ago)

Do choices matter?
So far, I don’t think so. Most choices for first episode have been basically the same thing, just different wording. Like two different bitchy phrases to choose from.

Nah, it covers the gist of things.

Does it fit the genre?
Comedy? Yeah, I guess out of all categories it would either suit that or drama, but I’m only going off of the first episode, which I feel was more to set the scene.

Additional Comments

• This one was on my reading list for a while, so I was excited to finally get around to it. I was surprised to see it on a shelf, since we all know what AF stands for… I guess I just didn’t think that would be a title Episode would want on their home screen…?
  • Directing was pretty good - there was some stand out moments.
Not Your Ex

Does it fit the shelf?

Is it complete?

Well, it has the title on it, but I guess if you look only at the cover you wouldn’t be able to guess what it’s about.

Would you reread?

Who is the audience?
People who refuse to read stories that don’t offer complete CC, people who want to read romance stories where the MC has been cheated on so they have something to relate to?

Do choices matter?
Um… I don’t think so? Or not at this point they don’t.

Not misleading, just kinda vague and generic. Once I found out a few more details from the first episode, I was surprised they weren’t mentioned in the summary, but I guess the character limit can be a bitch.

Does it fit the genre?
This is in romance, but I swear it was comedy when I added it to my list… In any case, the first episode was more emotional than it was funny, so I think it will end up being romance genre anyway.

Additional Notes

• I’ve also had this on my list for a while now.
  • I think @EliseC can predict stories that will get featured. I had this on my list because I saw her recommend it and the same was the case with Eternally 80s.
I Married a Millionare

Does it fit the shelf?

Is it complete?
No

Well, I can’t tell that either of them are millionaires, or that there’s a marriage of any sort based on the cover alone, but it does sort of look like the female on the small cover is being kissed against her will and in the large cover is being intimidated, so I guess the sentiments of “I Married a Millionaire” are made to feel like this is a negative statement (as opposed to how positive I imagine I’d be feeling if I married someone rich)

Would you reread?

Who is the audience?
I imagine this would be great for people who stick to the Episode Official stories. First because earlgreytea already has two actual Episode stories, and also because the marriage thing is a common theme from Episode official stories.

Do choices matter?
No, and actually… there isn’t many at all… This was also addressed in the FAQ at the end.

No, but I don’t think it refers to the first episode because there’s specifics in the summary that weren’t revealed in episode 1

Does it fit the genre?
Romance… Marriage is something often resulting from romance, so I’d say yes.

Additional Thoughts

• earlgreytea also wrote I Married a Prince (which I have not read), but makes me wonder if the similar titles are supposed to mean something…
Sweet 'n' Savoury

Does it fit the shelf?

Is it complete?
Nope

Yup, home girl’s holding a coffee, standing outside a cafe, and the story is about a chick who owns a cafe spilling a coffee on some rich guy. That’s a pretty good way to represent it on your cover.

Would you reread?

Who is the audience?
INK lovers! People who don’t want to read about school/college.

Do choices matter?
I don’t think I even remember any choices :thinking:

Nope, summary is exactly what happens in episode 1

Does it fit the genre?
Romance? We’ll see. At the moment it looks like the intended Love Interest hates our MC. I’m sure it will turn around though.

Additional Notes

• This was the only one on the shelf that started with a small(ish) amount of reads. I think it was at 3k reads or 6k when it first started… Where as all the others were at least 10k plus (but in saying that, half were already at like 100k reads and up)
  • This is also actually the only one I felt had proper diversity. The others all had mostly white main characters (before CC that is), where as this one seems to use a range of skin colours across the four main characters I’ve picked up on from episode 1.

Righto, so I wasn’t really looking for a theme for the shelf/stories because the Editor Pick shelves bother me in that there is no real theme to them…
But here are some things I picked up on:

• ALL stories were from a female POV
  • ALL except one were in Limelight
  • ALL except one offered some form of CC (some offered limited CC so that it would match art scenes, overlays, etc.)
  • Even though they’re not all romance genres, the ALL have at least one love interest.
  • ALL except one (or except two if you count two versions of the same story - one in LL and one in INK) are from authors who have more than one story on the app.

So far I’ve read Katrine’s Broke AF. The directing is stunning, the comedy at least brings out chuckles from me. It’s just me, but sometimes it feels a bit slow, but every scene with Alison the MC is spectacular!

Elise… are you hiding something from us :sob::sob:

Ahahah well as @amberose has pointed out, I’ve read Not Your Ex.
I always recommend it to people on here who are looking for a light-hearted romance, who don’t mind LL and who like to customise their characters. I think it’s a good story for when you don’t want something too heavy and just want to tune out from the world. It’s a little “cliche” I guess with the love triangle and all, but I think it’s done very well. Her directing is really good and there’s a lot of work put into it (she makes a lot of her own backgrounds too). (I don’t remember ever seeing it in comedy? But I could be wrong. It’s always been in romance for me.)

Lol maybe my tastes and Episode’s are similar? That being said, I always guess contest winners wrong. :upside_down_face:
Edited to add: With the exception of featured stories hahaha.

The only one I have read is “I married a millionaire.” I love this story and I eagerly wait for earlgrey to update. There are no choices because it’s more of a narrative, I don’t mind no choices. It’s also very realistic, it’s not just girl meets boy and they fall in love, there’s a genuine back story here. Also Earlgrey has also said that this is part of her unofficial “I married a …” series

All the stories they pick for the shelf are amazing but again most of the shelf is romance. I wish the shelf was more diverse

From what I remember of Envy’s first episode (not that much tbh, since I read the first episode when that was on the shelf), I didn’t really notice many similarities… But if that’s true that it’s been plagiarized then I think that’s a poor effort on Episode’s side to not notice that since they’ve now both been featured stories… And also it’s an awful thing to hear that one author is doing that to another

Ugh, that’s just so disappointing on so many different levels :frowning:

Oh my, that’s really awful : (
It must seriously suck for the author of Envy to have to see his story featured on the shelf, knowing it was a copy of hers.
I actually checked out one episode of Sorority Stalker but after reading your comment, I am not so sure I want to continue reading it now :confused:

Awe, this saddens me.

So… is it just my app or was Sorority Stalker removed from the shelf? I can still see it in the mystery trending section.

It’s gone from mine too

Good. I guess now we can stop paying it the attention that it doesn’t deserve and focus on the stories that earned their place on there, for the last two days of the shelf at least.

ETA: Cindy says it’s been solved now and has deleted her own posts on the subject to avoid giving him continued attention, so I have deleted and/or edited mine.

Is it just me or are the first episodes of Sorority Stalker eerily similar to the old Campus Crush?

okay i read a bit further up and now know it was copied from something else. right idea, wrong book lmao

To be honest? Probably. I’m a little sad that the picks feature so many already popular writers. I check out the picks to discover new stories, not to find authors who have already been featured.

Let's talk about: Hidden Gems

It is simlar to Campus Crush too , think she might of copied both

Yeah, it was mainly the annoying roommate talking nonstop about boys/getting mad at her ex that made me think of CC.