Let's Talk About Story Covers

I didn’t really find a thread on this, so here i am.

What do you guys think about story covers on Episode?
Does it dictate whether or not you read a story?
If so, what do you not want to see on a story cover?
What do you like to see on a good story cover?
Lastly, would you rather see a fully-drawn story cover (like Episode featured stories) or covers made using edited episode assets?

I hope the last question makes sense. Anyway, im only asking in hopes of knowing people’s preferences so i have something to refer to when making my own cover in the future.

i appreciate anyone who puts the time in to answer these questions. I hope you guys have a good day :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

17 Likes

Honestly and unfortunately it does influence whether I read the story or not.

If it’s drawn or edited it really doesn’t matter; I just need to feel intrigued to it.

For example, there was a story which had a very simple edit cover, but it’s effects were amazing and I decided to read it; turns out the story is masterpiece and it’s now on the action shelf!

6 Likes

Story covers rarely influence whether I read a story or not. Often times it’s more the title that interests me to read the description and then decide whether or not to read it. Although, I do get why some people would judge a book by its cover, so to speak.

I’m sure there are things I don’t like on story covers, but I can’t think of them right now. I do love to see story covers that accurately portray the vibe the story will have.

Most drawn episode covers I’ve liked, as I can appreciate the work put behind it to create such a thing. Other covers such as ones using episode assets are also interesting to me though. So I don’t have a preference as to which I’d rather see.

3 Likes

A good cover always earns stories a bonus point, but I wouldn’t necessarily let it dictate on whether I’ll read it it not.
Though it influences on if I would click on the story at all, description and title are way more important to me. Wouldn’t care if it’s drawn or edited as long as it’s neat and eye-catching!

2 Likes

I’ve been wondering this, too! I think it varies from person to person, but here are my thoughts:

1. I don’t really look at covers. There are stories with beautiful covers that I end up not liking because the story is weak or uninteresting. I care about the story more than anything else :slight_smile:

2. I don’t like seeing clichés on a cover. It’s been done thousands of times on Episode (i.e. bad boys, love triangles, kissing, etc.)

3. The covers that catch my eye tend to be non-Episode art that shows something unique. Maybe it is a love triangle, but it’s set in space and one of the love interests is an alien. Covers (along with descriptions) should be able to tell you what makes your story different and worth reading.

Good luck with making your cover :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey, I would say, I mostly rely on the summary, not the cover. BUT, to read a summary, I rely on the cover hahahaha! As @YourMom said, I’m not really into cliché, I like it more mysterious! :two_hearts: :upside_down_face:
Hope it helped!

1 Like

Okay one thing that’ll completely throw me off, is if the cover portrays nothing but nudity vibes. I usually don’t even bother on clicking on those sorta stories. And when I’m in a mood to laugh I read the descriptions and realise how different the cover compared to the description are. Yes. I am one of those people to take a cover into consideration as it is what initially intrigues me to click on a story, but the description is my main priority. I like good, but mysterious kinda descriptions. So the description will always be a top priority, but a cover will also have a part in me reading the story or not as well.

also another thing is when I click on the story and the author leaves a note saying it’s their first story and their episodes will get longer. I come off straight away. :skull:

3 Likes

The cover affects whether I want to read it or not :sob::sob::sob: but the cover means nothing if the description is :poop: just intrigue me at least in the first minute ok :wink:

1 Like

hi brat :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

*tosin :eye::tongue::eye::nail_care:t5:

2 Likes

Whilst I don’t judge a story purely based on its cover, it’s pointless to pretend that it’s not a big part of the initial attraction.

In a sea of thousands of interactive stories, it’s important to have your story catch people’s eyes for the right reasons. With a good, catchy title, you will attract an audience, however an eye catching, beautifully created cover will absolutely get noticed, and then is more likely to be clicked on.

When I am scrolling randomly for some new stories to add to my list, I tend to click the eye catching covers more often than anything else, and reading their descriptions. The description is the part that clinches it for me, not the cover, but just that a good cover gets them a little further out in front with being noticed by me.

What I like to see on a cover is…

• Clean, neat work.
  • An image that gives you a vibe of how the story will be.
  • If it is art, then I like it to be of a more professional, usually commissioned standard (my own preference, but well drawn episode style work is good too.)
  • I like it to not be too crowded. Have the main characters, not a lot of background and side characters.

Things I don’t like…

• Poor image quality (usually in edits) where a character screenshot has been used, and is blurry and out of focus. It looks unappealing and unprofessional.

• White outlines on characters. Again, usually edits made from screenshots, where they’ve been made into an overlay, but the lines around them are still there.

• Screenshots of characters taken from mobile preview, with code written across them, and those being used on covers.

• The background drowning out the characters. I’ve seen this a lot, where the one or two+ characters are standing in the middle on a background, but they have been sized too small and are therefore not the main focus of the image.

• Generic poses. I know the animations are limited, but custom poses are easily made. Artists love to use creativity. It’s not hard to think outside the box and come up with some new poses for edits. So many edited covers just have characters standing idle, or arms crossed etc, and with nothing very captivating about the image.

• Poor colour/theme imagery for the story. If you have a horror story for instance, you wouldn’t be using a cheery sunflower pattern background, so think carefully about each part of the image and ask yourself if it matches the story, because otherwise it’s not a good fit. Does the background for the genre, and the characters? Do the characters have the right outfits for their personalities and the story description/genre etc.

• Neat titles. Have them added neatly and be something that embodies the overall concept.

4 Likes

evry story need a cover

the cover and title make me tap the story, but the description is what makes me read it

I rather see a good edited over a badly drawn one, also personally I tired of those sexy covers but I know it is what sells many stories so I dont judge on it

so I only read fantasy, so fantasy elements.

Lastly, would you rather see a fully-drawn story cover (like Episode featured stories) or covers made using edited episode assets?
like I said, I rather a good edited over a bad drawing.

1 Like
  1. I love when a story as a cool art scene cover or like a realistic portrait
  2. Yes
  3. I’m sorry for saying this but I don’t really like edits in a story cover, I want to see a nice drawing. I only read the story that has an edit if I already read a story by that author.
  4. Realism
  5. Fully drawn
1 Like

I think the cover is a good opportunity to show the vibe of your story. Do some covers false advertise? Lol yeah. But it’s something a lot of people notice, so choosing a cover is important. The good news is that a cover doesn’t have to be complicated to draw people in. A cover doesn’t make or break whether or not I read a story necessarily. And if it does, it’s not whether the cover is “good” or “bad,” it’s the info the cover relays about the characters.

As for style - it doesn’t really matter but at this point I like drawn covers more in theory than practice. There are a lot of art tracers in this community and there’s people who charge money for commissions that trace art. So no thanks. At least with edited covers, you get something that doesn’t violate copyright laws. That being said, there’s actually a lot you can do with edits to make the poses and expressions more complex while keeping the focus on the characters rather than the background. There’s some drawn covers I really love too, but I kind of like the more cartoon style ones for drawn covers.

But you’ll get a lot of opinions. I think you should use whatever kind of cover you think fits your story best.

1 Like
  • What do you guys think about story covers on Episode?
    I think story covers, like physcial book covers, can draw a reader in and at the very least spark interest in what the story might be about. But, imo, the content and quality of the story matters to me more than how the cover looks. A cover can draw them in but it won’t make them stay if the story is trash.

• Does it dictate whether or not you read a story?
    It dictates whether or not I read the description. If it’s a bad cover or a half naked character mounting another character I’m not inclined to find out more. :joy:

• If so, what do you not want to see on a story cover?
    Answered above. I also don’t want to see the white pixels around edited characters. It makes the cover look messy.

• What do you like to see on a good story cover?
    I love seeing drawn covers - they’re just so pretty. But a well edited cover (like no super slim, long, Slenderman arms around a character etc) is equally as appealing because you can tell the author/artist took their time to make it great.

• Lastly, would you rather see a fully-drawn story cover (like Episode featured stories) or covers made using edited episode assets?
    I think fully drawn covers look a lot more ‘professional’ - if that makes sense? However, if you take your time on edited covers, they can be just as aesthetically pleasing and still gain interest in your story.

Badly drawn or edited covers unfortunately will keep people from reading your story. The saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” doesn’t really apply on an app like this- because the cover is the first thing people see and if it’s badly drawn/edited and right next to it so a gorgeously drawn/edited cover, people will likely choose the well made cover.

1 Like

Honestly, I think they’re really important since it’s essentially the first impression you get of a story. Personally, I do love covers which always hint at something in the story itself and covers which basically make you wonder, what does this image mean? What’s going on here?

Normally, when I pick a story to read, the cover is the thing that makes me open up the story description and the description dictates whether I read the story or not. So, yes, I guess it does affect my decision to read a story.

Fonts which don’t match the cover, blurry images/assets, a cover which doesn’t really say much about the story, having too much that’s going on at the same time

Clean art/edits, something that actually tells you about the story itself

Any’s fine as long as they’re made well - honestly, some edited covers are even better than the drawn ones.

1 Like

The book cover definitely would be the reason readers would want to read the book. I don’t think it really matters if its drawn or edited. As long as it has a good cover and a great description it should be fine.