Let's talk : Guidelines

So far in my life, I have only met 1 teenager who can think for themselves

keyword :my life

your life experiences are different from everybody’s, your experience doesn’t account for the logic of every single teenager in this world.

getting triggered by whatever people say that is actually good points,

yo, “triggered”? just because someone disagrees with your OPINION doesn’t mean that they’re “triggered”, they’re just disagreeing. and you saying that your opinions are good points is also opinion as well.

If you can understand the math, look how big of a number that is!

the math isn’t even accurate in the slightest, if you’re using my speculations into account. based on what has happened in the old forums, the thread really only managed to get 60,000 or so responses. that’s a lot less than what you estimated.

Even if all you did was discuss for hours on end which is better, dogs or cats, it STILL does NOT relate in ANY way to EPISODE.

of course not, that’s what our lovely lil general chat section is for! it’s for off-topic discussions!

Sorry if I sounded harsh or mean or anything there, I was trying to state facts.

what facts?? your math isn’t completely accurate, your assumptions are all based on personal experience, and to put the cherry on top of all of this, you’re not a mod or an admin or the programmer for this website. you can’t speak for them as to how 1m replies thread really affected the forums, and you can’t tell us exactly why the site went under a temporary shutdown.

but the guidelines have changed, and we should just accept them, no use barking at a wall.

we’re not really trying to “change” them, we just want clarification on them. we just don’t want any more of our threads to be locked by surprise. with the way the rules are addressed, they’re really flaky and unclear.

2 Likes

And that’s what I want too, clarification. Because, just like all of you, I HATE it when something that I did with innocent intentions has just been shot down and burnt. And sorry, I didn’t mean ‘triggered’, my brain was still reeling from all the maths that I just did and it wasn’t thinking. And I said “most” teenagers. And if you take a step back and see the bigger picture, no matter how good a teenager is good at making ‘decisions’, they still cannot fully make them properly.

For example, the teenager that I spoke of in my discussion, lets call them Alex, they are one of the most interesting teenagers that I have ever met. I know that you probably don’t want to hear all of this, but I’m going to say it anyway. While they do not score above average in Maths, they are incredibly good at debating and in English. And they make AMAZING decisions. They know right from wrong and almost always make the right decision. However, that’s where it falters, ‘almost’ is a word I used on purpose. Because, no matter how good they are at debating and making decisions, they still make really bad ones.

For example, this is a lesser example, when given the option in spending either 50 dollars, or 150, Alex chose the 150, when I asked why, they said, “I don’t know, just this weird voice in the back of my mind telling me too.” And that voice, is the voice of disreason. In a person, there is a voice of reason, and of disreason, or ill logic. When you’re a teenager, you’re more inclined to listen to the voice of disreason or ill logic. And that’s why people say that teenagers can’t make decisions properly, it’s not that they can’t think, but they’re more inclined to listen to the voice of ill logic.

And what you said in response to one of the reasons why EPISODE most likely locked the forum, the idleness chatter, I found rather silly. And not in the way you anticipated. Let’s grab your logic, (which is basically: "I don’t care that it’s not allowed! I’mma do it anyways!) and put it into a different scenario. Let’s say that there’s a man walking along the street alone, he’s drunk, but looks pretty wealthy, now, you see him and think ‘hm? He can get robbed easily, why is he walking home alone?’. If we use your logic, then you’ll go ahead and rob him, when I question you, the answer I will receive is: Of course I did! That’s what I’m alllllll about yo!
You will get imprisoned immediately.
Now what you’re probably going to say is,“We’re talking about posts not illegal activities!” But the same logic is applied, and used, in both scenarios, just one is more extreme than the next.
And going back to the teenagers thing, because I feel as though you are a teenager yourself and will most likely want to debate about that topic the most, there is a difference between ‘wisdom’ and ‘intelligence’. Now, wisdom is what generally helps you make decisions, because you have experience from past mistakes that you can look back on and go ‘man! I will never do that again!’. Whereas intelligence is something that you can gain just by reading some math books or studying for school. And because teenagers don’t yet have past experiences to look back on, they can’t use those past mistakes to influence their decisions in the future. That’s another reason why people say teens can’t make decisions.

I’m having a lot of fun debating! I haven’t done this level of back and forth for a while!

Cheers!
R.

2 Likes

Also, here’s the community guidelines if anyone wants them : )
https://notquitefetch.episodeinteractive.com/t/episode-forum-community-rules/236

Cheers!
R.

the idleness chatter, I found rather silly. And not in the way you anticipated.

keyword: i found rather silly
you might’ve not been able to see the point of the thread, but a whole lotta people enjoyed it. just because you don’t like an idea of a thread doesn’t mean it deserves to get shut down or that it’s irrelevant.
i can’t speak for everyone who participated, but what you saw as idle chatter, i (or they) saw as a great way to pass the time and bond and connect with the people of these forums.
and in a way, this fun chatting can be beneficial for episode writers. it gives us opportunities to bounce ideas off of each other, inspire each other, and even find a new writing/coding/directing/whatever partner we can truly connect with.

what’s the real harm in talking about something that’s not episode related as long as its safely hidden in the warm embrace of its own section. talking about coding and copying & pasting story links gets awfully tiring after a while, why not make a few friends and have some laughs as long as we’re here? it hasn’t been a problem on the old forums to have the thread there, and for the period of time where the 1m replies thread was active, i personally didn’t see a problem either.

i would also pick apart at the lovely examples you gave, but i’ll just say this for your scenarios and your math: you overestimate and overthink a lot for something that really just has to do with people wanting guidelines clarified, don’t tire your mind,

(you’re a really great person to debate with lol i’m havin’ some fun of my own too)
(and also, i would never rob a rich drunk man. i have off the charts anxiety and can barely approach drunk people without getting scared that they’ll advance on me or something)

1 Like

I didn’t mean to call it idleless chatter, well, I didn’t WANT to call it that. I was just giving you a taste of what EPISODE thinks. I personally think it’s wonderful that people can get together and toss around ideas, get feedback ect. But this is where my personal opinion stops, and where EPISODE logic comes back. You see, what EPISODE sees, is a thread that is over bunched and has random things together that doesn’t have (to them) a use. To be honest, I am really willing and considering to drop the debate in favor of the users of EPISODE. But my debating side keeps telling me to go on, so I shall. I also am 100% in favor of having the guidelines more clarified. Especially the content guidelines, I mean, come on, human trafficking is alright but the brief mention of suicide is not? COME ON EPISODE. And I also don’t believe that you would personally rob someone, but I was just using the same logic that you applied to your forums to a different scenario. The only I could think of at the moment. And it’s true, I do overthink stuff and over estimate stuff, but this is how EPISODE thinks. And so, in this debate, I’ll think like that too. EPISODE wants to put an end to stuff before it happens. And I don’t really blame them. Anyone would want to prevent stuff before it happens.

As for why I think EPISODE got rid of your forum, is because there was too much in it, too much randomness that they couldn’t put it into a section. And like I mentioned previously, EPISODE’s staff mainly consist of adults. And because they’re working adults, they most likely don’t understand teenagers and other adults that like to talk about needless things.

Cheers,
R.
(seriously, I’m having the time of my life right now lol)

Even though, I personally had no interest in the thread. I know a lot of people did…Leaving them to be upset when it was deleted. I kind of agree with the episode interactive team though.
This new forum was designed to look more organized, making it easier to find things.
(Especially, for NEW writers, who are new to the forum)
The thread itself was a bit random.
If you feel you want to chat, why not go on social media? Social media is for people that want to connect with other people. (with random, sporadic discussions) Yes, It’s nice to connect with people. However, this forum was designed for writers to connect with other writers to promote and get help with their stories. Not about what they had for dinner last night and what color their socks are.
If there was someone special on the thread you enjoyed talking to, why not send a pm?
If you were playing a game, they have a game section.
We have to be considerate. We’re not the ones running the website… They are.
The moderator was probably exhausted from reviewing each reply on that thread to make sure it wasn’t derogatory.
By them not having that huge thread, they can focus on other things. And make our writing experience comfortable and fun. :slight_smile:

Again, I wasn’t involved in the thread, this is just my opinion.

1 Like

I’ve seen a lot of people mention that the Episode team wanted to keep the forums more organised. I fail to see how ONE SINGLE THREAD could have disorganised the entire forums.

The thread was like one single family and, the old forum at least, didn’t have a good group PM system. I, being someone without Instagram, Facebook etc., would have felt excluded and annoyed as I would not be able to chat with everyone. And I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Another thing was the ‘randomness’. I believe that the General Chat was exactly for random things like this. The description of the subforum was literally ‘For everything else!’ I don’t understand why they would even make a General Chat in the new forums if everything was supposed to be related to Episode.

~M

9 Likes

Please, people who haven’t been here when the thread was created on the old forums. You don’t understand. You really don’t. And by acting like you are the all knowing God of the 1,000,000 replies thread is just kind of rude to everyone else. If you’ve actually been here long enough, you’d understand what we mean.

Like what @Res said, there’s a difference between wisdom and intelligence. You haven’t been on the old forums long enough, so you don’t have the credentials to make a decision.

Sorry.

I have feel an extremely rude presence coming from you, actually. And please don’t take what I said out of context. I HATE it when people do that. Anyway, you have to take a step back from your opinion and look at the bigger picture. EPISODE is a writing website, not for people to know how you’ve been doing. That’s when social media comes in. I personally don’t have anything to do with social media, the only thing I have is Instagram, and I rarely do anything with it. And why are we talking about credentials? I think you have the wrong idea what the word means, credentials is an achievement/something you basically earn in places like University. And as far as I know, there’s no University for the internet let alone EPISODE. And, if you can please properly quote me on what I actually meant, I was debating with @anime about teenagers. I did not mean it for you to take out of context. And I was just saying how wisdom can help make decisions.

Just because you think that you can debate and that you can throw in your own opinion based on nothing but accusations, YOU’RE the one playing god.

NEVER take my words of out context again.
R.

1 Like

Oh my god… I’ve been reading through and holy hell @Res, you don’t understand any of this, do you?

Firstly, we haven’t been told exactly why the 1 million reply thread was shut down, hence why this thread is requesting that we have more clarity with the forums staff. Since you are not forums staff, you can’t answer for them. You shouldn’t answer questions not addressed to you. By trying to talk on the episode forums behalf, you’re technically backseat moderating. You’re making assumptions and trying to say that these are the reasons why the forums would have deleted the thread for. Like I said earlier, since you’re not forums staff, you can’t answer for them.

Secondly, we are completely aware that the 1 million reply thread has nothing to do with episode and we could use social media but we don’t, because we want to find more people from episode as they tend to be people like us. There’s also the fact that forums are different and are generally more organised than social media. Episode may be a writing website but there are sections made for talking about off topic things.

Lastly, Why is your opinion so bad about teenagers? I’ll agree with you that there are some really immature teenagers (like 80% of the people in my grade :/) but you shouldn’t think that all teenagers are immature. You’ve said that you’ve only met 1 mature teenager. I take it that you don’t know many teenagers? Also, knowing 1 mature teenager should prove to you that teenagers can be mature at times. I’m 14 and have had an internet presence since I was 7, nothing has ever happened to me since I know my limits and I would never allow people to abuse me or harm me. This is the same case with most teenagers I know on the forums.

Well… that was longer than I wanted it to be. Have a good (whatever time of day it is for you)!

Also, here’s google’s definition of credentials:
“a qualification, achievement, quality, or aspect of a person’s background, especially when used to indicate their suitability for something.”

3 Likes

First of all, I’m sorry if I came off as rude in anyway, shape or form. That was not my intention. I’m just sick of all these people who haven’t been on the forums for a long time and think that they somehow understand everything. Your definition of credentials is wrong, @Mia showed the real meaning.

I didn’t mean to take your words out of context, (if I actually did, I personally think you took mine out of context too.) . It’s not like I’m actually talking to you irl, so people will perceive things differently typed out then spoken.

I based my opinion on how long I’ve been here and how the 1,000,000 replies thread has affected me. I’m allowed to throw in my opinion just like you are allowed to.

Okay so first off, I’m not looking to start an argument. I already said my piece, and I thought that I was done. Apparently not. I was just offering suggestions as to why the forum was shut down. I am NOT backseat monitoring. I’m just sticking up for the EPISODE team, because without them, you wouldn’t be here talking and arguing like this. And sure, I’m ‘making assumptions’, when have I ever? I’m just offering what is very clearly a one sided debate. This is NOT an argument. This is a DEBATE. But if you have read through all my responses and arguments (that’s what they’re called in debating), you would know that I have nothing against people talking to each other. It’s what humans as a species mainly do. Just certain things are required at certain times and places, if you understand. EPISODE usually doesn’t allow people to talk about their personal life, be it as small and little as likes/dislikes. If EPISODE didn’t see a direct problem with the thread, they wouldn’t closed it down.
And as for the thing with teenagers.
I WAS ONCE A TEENAGER.
I socialized with teenagers at a place for teenagers.
I WORK with teenagers.
I know about teenagers more than an actual teenager.
And, while I don’t approve of you giving out your actual age on the internet, proved my point that I was making. And if you did truly read my responses and arguments, I gave correct information, I provided facts, and not just some mindless chattering and bickering.
Yes it’s true, I didn’t go onto the old forums.
But I do understand.
I’ve been through a more extreme version of what you guys have been through, IN REAL LIFE. I know how it feels to not be able to have the same conversations/random everyday chatter that you once were able to have. I understand. But, like I’ve been telling everyone, take a step back and think about, not only EPISODE, but other writers.
You should’ve read my example of being a programmer right? Well, I used to program websites before I got into the work I do now. And it’s a lot harder than it looks. You don’t just say “I’m going to make a website today where everyone can voice their own opinions and everyone’s going to poop rainbows and puke sparkles!” It doesn’t work like that. There’s a SIGNIFICANT amount of coding involved. Ever make an EPISODE story? Take that level of coding, then push it through the fricken roof. Grab that annoying and frustrating moments and all those bugs and glitches and everything, and make it a billion times worse. And not only is it annoying to program, it’s annoying to keep the website up and to keep it bug-free.
And if people keep putting these kinds of threads up where they reach a point of a million posts, it is going to CRASH. This is an ex-programmer talking here. If you want to debate, you at least gotta know around 5 years worth of full time university and work experience, before I’ll take you serious about debating coding with me.

You’re at the age now where you can live out your life, and NOT be yelling at other people about not being able to post something that’ll potentially erase all of someone’s hard earned work.

Please, I beg both you and anyone who reads this post to think before they start getting angry or frustrated and just think about other people.

Cheers,
R.
(like I said, not wanting to start an argument. And I’m not trying to be mean, I’m just stating facts and from experience.)

And by the way, that was my definition, just more detailed/the entire meaning/s.

But thank you anyway for posting the full definition on here. It helps.

Like your name and profile pic by the way.

Cheers,
R.

1 Like

My point is, a lot of people have commented and fussed about the thread being taken down. But, have they been able to convince the episode team to restore it? No… There has to have been a reason why they closed it. We don’t know for sure why. We can state our opinions but, we don’t know the real reason. Maybe, they’ll tell people why, maybe they won’t.
I see people commenting about how special it was but, I don’t see anyone coming together to find a way around it. It’s not like them stopping the thread destroyed anyone’s entire life. We’re still alive, still posting. Think about all the children in florida that loss their lives. The damage was done, lives were lost. That was detrimental and deserved the attention and protest from people. They can’t bring those people back. I know the thread meant alot to many of you. But, you can find a different way to combat the problem. The thread itself wasn’t the only place to comment. The people on the episode team have seen the many comments about how sad everyone was that the forum was gone. As of current time, they haven’t done much of anything or released any statements about it yet. So, let’s find another way to communicate. There are many many ways.

So, I actually looked back at what trinady said at the end of the 1,000,000 thread. She DID give a reason. She clearly stated, The bulk of the comments in this thread aren’t in keeping with the new rules and so this thread will be closed. We know these rules are new & different, but the community rules12 are here to help keep the forums organized!

How is a thread with random remarks organized?

They allowed it in the past. So, they understand how you felt about it.
However, on the new forums, they have become stricter. They want things to look sleek and organized. That was the point of creating a NEW one.
When you make a post they want it to stay on topic.
If they allowed the 1,000,000 reply thread where every post was random. People would think it would be okay to post randomly on other posts. About things that had NOTHING to do with the title. Every post would end up confusing. With people commenting about everything and anything. If you observe the website now, the moderator is observing every comment. If it has nothing to do with the title, he WILL tell you to do something about it.

As I said before, you can always find another place to chat about life.

1 Like

Jeez, there is certainly a lot of controversy about the whole 1mil thread thing.

1 Like

Hi, now before you think I’m going to debate with you, I won’t. I’ve already said my piece. I like how you are one of the only ones that is very calm and collected and thinks about it from both sides. If you had been a little bit earlier, I would’ve liked to debate with you. Right now, I don’t have the mental capability for it. I am, as of now, receiving a lot of unnecessary personal blows from the creator of this post, and while I have been replying calmly, they’re starting to get on my nerves. But I would like to very quickly clear up any misunderstanding as to what people think of me.

When I first saw this post, all I saw was people trying to gang up on one person for having a different opinion. And I found this quite hypocritical because, from what I understand of the thread, it was a place for you to make friends with people with different opinions and share them. So I took up the other side of the argument and turned it into a debate, that they, everyone can say their piece in a professional and calm setting. And if you read my arguments (as they are called in debates but I suspect you know that, I’m just making sure because I’ve had someone once yell at me for starting an argument.) you would know that I actually wanted to drop the debate because I actually do personally feel bad for you guys. I’m not hardhearted. I just couldn’t stand people trying to start an argument and attack someone. Or at least, that’s what it looked like to me.

Like I said, I’ve said my piece, and again I’ll say, if I had the brain power to, I would love to debate with you. As the situation above is happening.

Thank you for reading and listening to me, and for speaking your peace. A lot of people here are a little unreasonable and try to actually start arguments and not debates.

Again, thank you for stating your piece, I am extremely tired right now, I had no sleep last night because of some pills, so I might try to get some shut eye before the person messages me again with some weird propaganda or reason why they’re the victim.

Cheers,
R.
(seriously, you have the worst timing, maybe once I feel a little better and the whole situation with the poster is dealt with, we can toss some suggestions and ideas around.) : )

1 Like

I’m probably going to shut this thread down because of all the fighting. This was just meant for people to put their opinion in a poll. Let’s try to be civil.

2 Likes

Thread closed as per Thread Op’s request.

4 Likes