Lilly's Community Discussion: Gender & Sexes

Over the last week forum users discussed illegal immigration. Thanks to everyone that participated, here’s the link - Lilly's Community Opinions: Illegal Immigration

This week the discussion is on gender and sexes. Please be respectful and remain on topic.

Do you think there are more than two genders?
Are gender and sex different things?
Is gender a spectrum?
Are all genders recognised?
What age do you think people can tell they are a different gender to their sex? Is there a thing as being too young to know?
Can people change their gender more than once?
What’s your opinion on gender fluidity and non-binary?

You don’t have to answer all the questions, let me know your thoughts!

*Edit, scale changed to spectrum. Sorry if this confused anyone!

7 Likes

No.

Is gender a scale?

I would say its is KINDA the same.

Sex: Male / Female

I don’t think gender is a scale. :thinking:

Are all genders recognized?

Yes.

What age do you think people can tell they are a different gender to their sex?

I would say…hm…maybe 15. Just thinking about teenagers age. Or maybe any age. :thinking:

Is there a thing as being too young to know?

No. Definitely not.

Hm, well I would say its their body, if they want to, thats their choice,

Hm, I havent heard of this one before. ll do some research on this one… XD

5 Likes

Is gender a scale?
I guess…

Umm… no. This is less of a firm belief but more that I’m not aware of any other genders, and being agender is neither gender, so… :woman_shrugging:

Yes. Sex is what ‘gender’ you are assigned at birth, what you were originally, biologically. Gender is what you choose to be. Many choose to stick with their sex, but some choose to change it.

Is gender a scale?

It could be, I suppose. I will leave that up to the person. I don’t really have a particular opinion on that.

Yes?

What age do you think people can tell they are a different gender to their sex? Is there a thing as being too young to know?

Any age. However, having your baby boy like wearing dresses doesn’t necessarily means he wants to be a girl. He has yet to learn that society doesn’t fully expect boys to wear dresses- it’s more ‘for girls’. Maybe he just likes it :woman_shrugging:

Um, well if they’re going to transition fully, and I mean change their genitals and start taking chemicals and hormones, then I think it’s best to be sure, because you don’t really want to go through surgery on your genitalia more than once, just like you don’t really want to go through any surgery more than once. But if they just want to change, okay. Sure.

It’s perfectly fine. It’s very brave of them to face up to society and break through the expectations that people have, and I admire them for it. I’m too scared to come out with my sexuality irl, and in my opinion, that’s smaller than gender fluidity.

5 Likes

There are only 2 genders.

Yes, but gender is determined by sex.

Is gender a scale?

If you mean a spectrum, no. And no, a real scientist will not say it is. Medical science and biologists all say there are only 2 genders and that you can’t switch between them.

The idea that there’s more than two is not founded in hard science. It’s more psychological, gender is in your head, indeed, but it is still biological.

Yes, all two of them.

People are born with the mental condition known as gender dysphoria, so they could feel wrong and know why at any early age. That just depends on the individual.

You can’t change your gender at all, technically, but it is cosmetic, and you can make yourself look different and take hormones to help your brain relax and stop fighting yourself. You can revert, though and make yourself look like the other gender again. It’s all pretty damaging, though, sometimes, so be careful! T.T

Well, these things don’t technically exist, but if that’s what you want to call yourself, that’s your business, I guess, but if you claim to be these things and you don’t have gender dysphoria, or you claim to be trans without dysphoria, that is extremely rude and a huge disservice with people that actually have the condition. You shouldn’t make a mental condition a trend, and that’s why some of these people have gotten the label “transtrender”. People with gender dysphoria are/have suffered greatly. You don’t fucking want gender dysphoria.

It upsets me greatly because I, myself, have mental problems/illnesses/conditions. However, some people with gender dysphoria do feel more comfortable calling themselves these things, and if that helps them, it makes me happy for them and I really hope it helps them.

Overall, I’d like to find a cure for gender dysphoria that doesn’t involve having extremely damaging surgery. It can make you infertile, some people still experience dysphoria even after transitioning, some people grow out of it and regret it…the whole thing is just really sad. I wouldn’t wish gender dysphoria on anyone T.T

4 Likes

Tucutes…

Yeah, some of these Tumblr tucutes are just too much. I see many trans people saying they would want to be cis but for tucutes, it’s “ciscum” lol. You should want to be cis too technically…

I read some of what you said in Kalvin Garrah’s voice lolllllllll

2 Likes

I love him!!! I disagree with him about a lot of things, but he’s fantastic, isn’t he?? ^^

1 Like

Yessssss

He’s a savior after all those “kids education for gender” videos lol

1 Like

No. I think there are males and females.

Yes. Gender is what your perfered pronouns are, and sex is what you are born as.

Is gender a scale?
Not sure what you mean by that.

As I said, I think there are only 2 genders.

No, it’s never too young to know, and honestly, they can tell as young as maybe 6. But usually figure out at 13-20

Yes. Gender-fluid people.

If someone feels that they are something one time, but then another at another time, then I accept that. Same with non-binary. I am perfectly fine with this.

I think genders are just labels that we’ve made up to divide ourselves into arbitrary catagories. So yes, I suppose. If people identify as something other than female and male, then they’ve made a new gender label. Over time, I think the idea of there being only two genders is going to change. Maybe we’ll get rid of gender as a construct altogether.

Are sex and gender different things?
I would say so. Sex is what you’re assigned at birth and gender is what you identify with to me. Like race versus ethnicity. And your sex and gender don’t have to correlate just like your race and ethnicity don’t have to correlate.

Is gender a spectrum?
Sure, gender is different to everyone. Even people who may identify as the same label may interpret that label differently. So yeah, you can be between two labels. No label is going to encompass your entire being perfectly.

I’ll recognize any gender you identify with, except of it’s clear you’re only making mockery of other people. But they aren’t really recognized by the majority of the world.

Well, any age. With a full understanding of the topic, anyone should be able to tell. Gender is just a label. It’s just a matter of whether you identify with that label or not.

Absolutely, labels can change. And no label can encompass every part of a person. If you feel the need to change your gender again, you’ve just learned that maybe your label isn’t perfect for you. And that’s okay.

More labels. And if you identify with them, that’s cool. If you don’t, alright that’s cool too.

(I’m not sure how I haven’t found your threads yet. These exactly the type of things I love to discuss! I’ve gone through and read all of them.)

5 Likes

Thanks! :two_hearts:

1 Like

I think the problem is no one group is stepping up to create their own sphere of influence. The problem with the words gender and sex are their constraints. They encapsulate something else already.

It’s like the problem with the church. Those not generally accepted want to become accepted in a church, but why be led by someone that doesn’t understand you? A new church should have formed with the members in mind. Christianity is the almighty king of this. Look at all its many branches, Catholics, Roman Catholics, cafeteria Catholics, Quakers, Seventh Day adventist, Jews, Mormons, they all more or less derive from Christianity.

In the same way as sex and gender are already defined, it is easier, and more worthy to have a new definition that describes the different ways that individuals are. Not so much as a physical sense or an anatomical one but one that defines who we are to the rest of the world. A definition in its own place, separate from gender and sex.

So someone could be a woman who is a female that is (soul).

1 Like

I see what you did there ^^ yeah, spectrum is the word that most people hear, I’ve never heard scale before. Do you say scale instead of spectrum where you’re from? :thinking:

2 Likes

No, I was just daft and put scale. I realised I had put the wrong thing :joy:

3 Likes

Oof! We all have those moments ^^ <3 <3 <3

1 Like

Yes I think there are more than two genders. Because gender isn’t biological, sex is. So when someone’s gender doesn’t match with their biological sex, it makes sense. I think there are two sexes, but people can identify as whatever gender they want because they aren’t harming anyone else.

1 Like

Nope!
Basically it is because they go hand and hand with each other.
Is gender a spectrum?
I don’t think so.
Yes
Well, I don’t really know.
No
I don’t know what that means, but I am going to research it up.

1 Like

This is coming from someone who has studied sociology, psychology, and pathology in depth.

Yes.

Yes and no. Sometimes they can be used interchangeably, while other times they are completely different. To shorten it’s they’re synonyms.

Not 100%, but I do see various celebrities (and friends of mine) becoming more comfortable with their gender identity. I’d love to see at least one character who’s non-binary.

Is gender a spectrum?
Yes, just like sexuality. Some people are more towards one side or the other, and even in between.

It varies from person to person. The environment, the people around you, what culture you’re a part of, etc. I don’t think there’s such a thing as being too young to know. For example, I always knew I was bi from a young age. Of course since I was younger, it wasn’t exactly sexual or romantic feelings, but as you hit puberty/go into your teen years, your sexuality and gender identity become more apparent and you (mostly) figure out who you are.

I suppose so, but I think that would be very rare. But, just because something is rare, doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

What’s your opinion on gender fluidity and non-binary? It is kind of difficult to understand because I’m cisgender, but I’m trying to understand and be supportive of those who decide to identify as either. I have two friends who are non-binary and I try my absolute best to refer to them as they/them and use their new names. I might not ever 100% understand what they’re feeling or how they deal with it, but I’ll be right by their side if they need anything.

6 Likes

I have a question for you: what does cisgender mean?

You identify as the gender that you were assigned at birth as.