Lilly's Community Opinions: Illegal Immigration

Over the last week 54% of forum users voted that euthanasia should be maybe be legal, depending on the circumstances. Thanks to everyone that participated, here’s the link - Opinions on euthanasia & assisted suicide?

Sorry for the delay this week in a topic, I totally didn’t forget. This week I’m looking for opinions on illegal immigration. There’s no poll for this week, so discussion can go anywhere. Please stay on topic and respectful to others.

What do you think are the reasons people immigrate illegally?
Should countries be stricter/less strict on illegal immigrants?
Do you think countries should allow in more/less refugees?
In your opinion what separates a refugee from a illegal immigrant?
What steps should be taken to stop illegal immigration, or does there need to be a more sustainable solution?

3 Likes

Can’t believe I’m replying to a controversial post!

I just wanted to point out that I am not of legal voting age yet.

There are always so many reasons as to why people illegally emigrate to a place. For example, to earn better income in order to take care of their families. I recently read a book called ‘Dream Things True,’ where a girl and her family crossed the Mexico border in order to have a better life in America. One major part of the book is that while crossing, her mother died of thirst. In order to save her daughter and son from the same fate, she fed them the last of her breast milk.

I personally knew people who came here illegally (I’m not going into depth about this but I can tell you I have no idea where they are today) and they told me that they came to the country in order to have a proper education and for their children to have a better life than they did growing up.

In my opinion, there isn’t really a difference from a refugee and an undocumented immigrant other than the fact that refugees were able to prove that returning to their home country would put them in harm’s way. Undocumented immigrants may have not been able to prove this and thus are trying to flee from their home country. There are still many reasons as to why they left their home country.

6 Likes

In the bible, it has said “Love thy neighbor” and I stick to that. Immigrants have reasons to come into another country and leave their own. As long as they do no harm, I’m fine with it.

16 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree.

3 Likes
  1. Education - In many other countries, people still have to work at a young age to support the family or you have to pay for every single level of school. Free elementary through high school is not the reality in every single nation.
    *Safety - Some countries in Central America are very dangerous to live in. Crime rates are really high. People want to get out the lifestyle of being threatened by people. Not only that, but people do come here to escape war. They’re not thinking about the legal technicalities.
    Children- Ties in with the other two. People will do anything to protect their kids. They want them to have a better life.

2. I think locking children in cages like dogs at the pound is… disgusting. No one should be dehumanized because of their citizenship status. I think the immigration policies and citizenship processes need go be fixed.

3. A refugee has stated a legal reason to be here while an illegal immigrant has stated no reason.

4. I would say have the US help countries in need, but a lot of the time we do WAY more harm than good. Of course our top priority is the country we live in, but we are also citizens of the SAME planet and sometimes we will need to help others. Also, not deport those who have rooted lives here. Children, a spouse, a home, etc. Many of them came as children which means they had no choice whether or not to go. If they have no criminal record and have an established life here for 15-20 years, I think their process to become a citizen should be quicker.
    Then again this isn’t the first time people have despised immigrants (legal and illegal) and caused ALL their problems on them. It happened with the Irish, Germans, Jews, Japanese, etc.

8 Likes

if the system was better, maybe, just maybe, people wouldn’t have to illegally immigrate and be shamed for it? im not american.

5 Likes

Speaking for my own country and not the U.S., my problems with illegal immigration are:

• It makes it much harder for immigrants who want to legally go to a country

• Deportation is very costly

• The safety for both citizens and illegals are at risk

• I know a lot of people who are legal immigrants, and it’s not fair what they have to go through on a daily because of people from their country who come here illegally

I can only speak for mine as I’m not that knowledgable of the laws elsewhere but yes I think laws need to be stricter but the question is “What can we do?”

A person who seeks refuge in a foreign country can be legal or illegal, but I guess I’d say someone that goes through all the right steps to ensure that they will be able to stay without the risk of deportation and are able to work because that ensures their safety.

This is a very hard question which requires a lot of thought because there is a line between what is effective and what is humane/morally right.

4 Likes

Right! :unamused:

1 Like

Not to mention they are still mistreated today. Most recently, I am pretty sure the government gave an “okay” to build some kind of pipeline through a reservation. A shame…

2 Likes

I agree also, it’s a very inhumane form of prevention especially since it harms children

3 Likes

Honestly, the “immigrants” they speak of have shaped and done more work in America than us regular Americans. My opinion. :woman_shrugging:t5:

5 Likes

that’s difficult I really don’t know what to say

Okay, but that is just the true tea, Shadow. :tea:

1 Like

I will be talking from the point of view of my country (small country in Europe).
But my country is one of those that is filled with idiots.
Some politicians here even made a campaign built on immigrants, how we dont want them here, how they are dangerous and blahblahblah. Propaganda at its best.

We even had an incident here, when one jerk threw a brick at muslim family that had a baby in stroller with them! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

My opinion on this is that when it was a big problem, all countries in Europe should have just split the immigrants. But that didnt happen thanks to a few countries. And now when it is not a big problem and politicians arent making immigrants a “scary monsters who will rape our women”, I still think that when someone wants to come here, we should be welcoming.
But humans are full of prejudices and even now, when it isnt a big problem, we still have quite a few bilboards here that says that “Immigrants are occupying Europe! We need to stop them!” :expressionless: I just hate people.
Okay I am sorry, I know this post doesnt really make much sense and I didnt answer any of your questions :sweat_smile:
My opinion is simply that we should all be welcoming :blush:

5 Likes

Bump

We basically created a genocide against the Natives, and it’s still ongoing.

4 Likes

That’s actually very true.

2 Likes

Obviously there is a difference, but today I learnt the definitions of refugee and asylum seeker in my migration class.

•Refugee - a person or group of people forced to flee their source country due to war, natural disaster or persecution.

•Assylum seeker - a person who has fled their source country and is seeking protection in another country to avoid persecution. (Although refugees can be persecuted, assylum seekers will be individually persecuted. Usually due to but not limited to religion or sexual orientation.)

1 Like

What do you think are the reasons people immigrate illegally?

Economic opportunity and seeking refuge.

Should countries be stricter/less strict on illegal immigrants?

Stricter.

Do you think countries should allow in more/less refugees?

More, but countries should do it correctly and enforce laws and speed up the processes in place. It’s a big mess, and we have to try and figure this out T.T

In your opinion what separates a refugee from a illegal immigrant?

A refugee can be illegal if they don’t immigrate legally. You either do it right or you don’t.

What steps should be taken to stop illegal immigration, or does there need to be a more sustainable solution?

I think tightening our systems would help. A wall will help for us Americans, but of course not all immigrants come from Central/South America. We have to pay attention to who all’s coming in and make sure we don’t let them if they don’t do it illegally.

How? Most undocumented immigrants come to the US legally and outstay their visas, how would a wall help?

4 Likes