Limelight Editors and Ink Fans

so, hi there! since my post regarding this got flagged, I deleted it and decided to make a separate topic for it. English isn’t my first language, so I apologize if I make any errors.

• limelight. the newest style beloved by many, but hated by the majority.

• ink fans. we all know those, maybe you’re even one of them!
    now, you may be asking, what’s up with them and what relevance do they have in this topic?

imagine this situation: you’re a talented and aspiring editor. you’ve been editing in ink for quite some time and your followers love your edits for that, but you’re craving for something new: what about trying limelight edits? you try to make one, and you’re really proud of it, so you decide post it.
…and then you realize you stopped getting as much support as you used to get. people start unfollowing you, just because you’re not editing in their favorite style.

I, happily, have never experienced that, but that doesn’t mean other people haven’t. check out the “share your art” threads: the limelight edits get the least amount of love and support. the ink ones, on the other hand, are pretty much praised and admired. I do not have a problem with people editing in ink: go ahead, edit in whatever style you want!

my questions are, why is this happening? why is limelight so hated to the point that people stop supporting their favorite editors because of the style they’re editing in?

:heart: would be glad to see your opinions down below, even if you’re going to disagree with my points :heart:

disclaimer: I’m not trying to direct this post to Ink fans or shame them. I’m not saying that all ink fans are like this and I’m definitely not saying ink fans are jerks. just getting this out of the way!
disclaimer 2: I am aware that ink fans have started to like limelight, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any more “hardcore” fans out there. (and by “hardcore”, I mean those who start hating on every other style besides their fave just because)

8 Likes

I think that Limelight gets so much hate because before it, there was classic & ink. These two both have been there for a long time & people gotten used to the character, and the animation it has. It looks real to them. So, when Limelight came, it kinda took over ink’s spotlight with clothes,hair, etc. (Not saying limelight is bad because I love Limelight!) I feel like ink was generated first, so to see a new style come along, it kinda messes up the creation it has.

PLEASE NOTE: I AM NOT HATING ON LIMELIGHT OR INK OR CLASSIC. I WAS STATING AN OPINION I HAD

5 Likes

I’m an INK lover but I never hate on LL or Classic. I think many people is frustrated because our favourite style is left unfinished, which still is not the reason to hate on editors. They just trying to stay faithful to their style but it should look like that.

We should all just respect each other!

8 Likes

It’s sad that some people might unfollow editors just because they switch to a style that you don’t like. However, I think they’re fully allowed to do so, I mean… I probably wouldn’t follow someone myself if they posted things that I didn’t really care about. The unfollowing-thing isn’t the biggest problem in my opinion.
What’s hurtful is that people feel the need to directly hate on someone just because they start editing/writing in LL instead of INK (or reversed because I don’t think it’s only INK fans getting nasty about other styles, I honestly think some LL fans are the same way about INK).
Since we don’t have an explanation from those who hate, we can only make a guess about why they’re doing so, so to be completely honest, I think it’s mostly because of the followers’/readers’ age. It’s not meant to be an insult of any kind but I just feel that the younger you are, the more inexperienced and immature you are as well and I just can’t imagine that people at the age of 20+ would ever hate on other people because of something as silly as starting to edit/write in another style.
It’s a shame, though not an excuse, but I think it all boils down to simple immaturity.

Edit:
I love INK myself and it’s my favorite style but I have nothing against LL or Classic.
If you’re an INK lover but kind of wants to see what can happen with LL, I suggest you take a look at @Sofia.M’s LL edits because they are truly amazing!

3 Likes

I’m not sure how this is considered hating…?

I follow a few artists on IG because I like their style, they could do the best on earth, but I wouldn’t follow it if I didn’t like it. I think you shouldn’t be sad/frustrated by this since many people have preferences in editing. I love both cartoony and realistic edits, if editors I follow switch their style, I unfollow.

For example, if an editor edited cartoony INK characters in cartoony style, I’d follow quickly because I am interested, but if they change it to realistic, I would unfollow because I don’t like it.

I’m surprised that people’s preference is considered “hating”… Maybe we should stop shifting the blame for INK fans who just want updates on their favorite style as much as Limelight fans want on their style. :woman_shrugging:t2:

An "inspiration" post for editors

This is not directed at anyone.

Look. Anyone who stepped out of their comfort failed at first. Authors included as well. You write something in a genre you never did before, you get less reads but by time go, you enjoy it more and get a royal fan-base who will read anything you write and people who just found you because of your new story.
Of course you’re going to lose some support when you step out of comfort zone, but you’re going to gain a much larger and loyal follower base. Plus, shouldn’t editing be for fun? Do what you want even if people don’t support it as much. Sometimes it’s better to be glad to have even a few people supporting you.

2 Likes

didn’t actually mention that i consider it hating. i was just saying limelight, as a style, is hated. nevertheless, interesting opinion.

(didn’t mention this in the original post, but…) it should. but IF the editor starts getting hate, it’s not so fun anymore. hating on the editor because of the style their editing in is NOT okay, and this is one of the messages I was trying to come across but looks like I wasn’t explicit enough.

huge respect to ink lovers that do not hate on LL or classic :hugs:

3 Likes

I am not even sure how I ended up in this old thread, but what is done is done and I would like to share my stance on this. Guilty as charged, I am a “hardcore” INK fan (I do not hate people who like Limelight, I just openly hate the style), and as one, I have to tell you that there is nothing wrong with not supporting something you do not like. If these editors are doing something they are passionate about, then that is all that matters. We cannot expect people to encourage something they dislike just for the sake of being supportive. The word “preference” exists for a reason. Same thing happens with stories in general. Some people (myself included) do not read Limelight stories at all, and some others now claim that INK looks “just weird” and hence cannot stand the sight of characters in that style…

What I mean is: people are allowed to support what they like and viceversa.

I understand that we are a community, but I fail to see how personal preferences can be deemed as something negative.

1 Like

correction, limelight is NOT hated by the majority, it’s the most popular style in the trending section.

1 Like

even though I agree with some of your points, my personal problem are the ink fans hating on limelight; not the ones who just prefer ink more.

I’m pretty sure episode said that some time ago. even though the style is trending, it’s hated on instagram. or used to be hated. anyway, this thread is pretty old: some things changed and people are starting to open up to LL.

it’s still hated on. Episode is trying to push it to their current readers.

1 Like

Instagram and episode community isn’t accurate of what majority readers want though

1 Like