List your issues about episode's cringy cliches (Temp closed because of flaggin') : cri :

So I see you are also graduate from the University of Truth. Do you have your Masters or your Doctorate? :laughing::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Lol. I totally got an idea to make a comedy about all of these cliches. It’s gonna be a hilarious parody.

7 Likes

Hahahahaha omg :joy:

Omg like “sold to the gang leader” people irl are actually being in this situation and somehow the author finds a way to make it a romance story…
Like if i was talking to an author that made a story about romantic human trafficing i would be like “BRO ARE U OKAY IN THE HEAD???”

smh :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

Yeah, how about a story where the mean girl has a mean boyfriend that the mc doesn’t have a crush on instead of the mean girl crushing on the guy the mc likes. :thinking:

2 Likes

How about that arranged marriage cliche in medieval stories?

Requirements:

• King and queen parents that are in love.
  • A free-spirited princess.
  • The man that she’s arranged to marry, who’s also probably abusive for no reason (more on that in a second).
  • Some handsome ragtag rouge man for the princess to fall in love with, that she probably met at a ball.
  • Some old royal law about marrying when you turn eighteen because women can’t rule without a husband… or something.

And, of course, in action…

• Parents: “Happy eighteenth birthday, princess! By the way you’re getting married to this guy I chose for you in just a few days, because a Queen can’t rule without a husband! Even though that’s totally a thing that can and has happened!”
  • Princess: “Wah, I don’t want to get married to someone I don’t know! I want to marry for love! Even though arranged marriages (usually since birth or young age) during this time are totally normal and expected, even for royalty! Mom and dad you don’t understand because you’ve always been in love!”
  • Arranged husband: “Hey, I’m going to be your husband and the future king! By the way, I’m abusive. Even though I’m just a nobleman that’s hitting the princess, and gain nothing from hitting you, and I could likely get beheaded for harming you!”
  • Handsome rouge man: “Hey, come run away with me, even though I’m technically kidnapping you!”

asdfghjkl;
THESE MEDIEVAL CLICHES ARE SO INFURIATING OH M GO F I’M SO SALTY i cAN BARELY TYPE

a n y w a y s
i wrote a more articulate bit on this cliche here:

14 Likes

Preach it!

1 Like

I am SO happy to have stumbled upon this. I’m now hearing about stories way worse then the ones I’ve actually seen on Episode. Why are there stories where people are being sold to other people… Basically, why are there slavery-light stories???

It’s like Ladies, some fantasies you should only share with your significant other. Do you not publish your twisted sense of love to the world. LOL :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

5 Likes

Possible personal cringe and I feel sorry posting this, 'cause I know this poor girl wasn’t aware of what she just said, but one of the love interests in her story, after asking out our MC, he said:

“I’m going to take your silence as a yes.”

IT’S SO NOT A YES!!! It’s silence. We need to make sure we don’t promote that only when you SAY “No” will a man rightfully know you haven’t consented. Silence is not consent. Just putting that out there.

8 Likes

Ugh I despise the ‘pregnant by …’ stories and love triangles, especially when they always choose the guy that you DON’T want them to choose. A few of my favourite stories have these love triangles or the main character always having to be in a relationship and it really puts me off reading the story. I also hate these typical ugly to pretty/popular stories because IT DOESN’T HAPPEN. In my school, nobody really cares what you look like. People may make the odd comment here and there, but it isn’t to the extremes of these stereotypical stories. Don’t get me wrong, I love me a Mafia story but stop with the pregnancies because it just puts me off of the story.

7 Likes

Yes, completely. Like is this the teen mom generation, where getting prego is cool? 'Cause it’s not. It’s just life and responsibility. And that whole popular thing… so like, I specifically set my story in college just to get away from the cliche, but funny enough, I read someone else’s story also set in college and they had basically a popularity thing, and I was like, “Wait. In college, it’s usually too big for people to actually care that much. Unless you’re pledging, outside of that, no one cares. NO ONE CARES!” But, what do I know? I’m just an actual person who lives in the real world. LOL

9 Likes

Stories about a girl that falls in love with a gang member. THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM.

5 Likes

Oml :joy: i love your comments :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I have to say: those darn rags to riches stories

OR, even worse, a massive cliche that appears in stories in the romance section so much: an ex girlfriend who tries to blackmail the protagonist to get her boyfriend back.

2 Likes

Are you kidding? I haven’t read those yet, but now I’m dreading running into it. Thanks for the heads up. smh

2 Likes

A high school girl who falls for the bad boy, then is kidnapped by the random mafia guy, gets pregnant and has to choose between which guy she wants to marry

3 Likes

Oh and how could I forget, the “best friend” who really isn’t that great of a person, makes the MC get a make over and force herself onto every guy she meets. Uh hello? Friends shouldn’t pressure their friends into doing things that make them uncomfortable. They aren’t real friends if they do that!

9 Likes

Probably nothing tht has not already been adressed but…heres my list…
Cliche 1:goodguys
demnsional good guy and MC (obviously the cliche bad boy is not a better choice but) idk they seem very stupid there should be more to make u choose him than “oh he was nice to me” “oh he called me beautiful” “insert random stupid flattery” Do not. Tell me hes a good guy cuz hes all talk id rather the “bad boy” while compliments nice it seems overly forced when the mr. GG(goodguy) has a cheesy 1 liner for MC and is the “better” choice
While on tht subject. I dislike tht trope i see of the guy calling MC beautiful(insert him winking or some other weird cockiness) and the MC does tht weird “love sigh”

Cliche 2: MCs
Ppl talk about “weak/passive” MCs but forget tht not everyones a “ill kick ur arse” “fight me” “gimme tht sword” “im a strong gurl” “i protect myself rawr” type of person the kick butt MCs are always blunt and honestly rude they sass their parents and really anyone else to show how “independent” they are and how “confindent” they are. These MCs hate dresses and feel the need to say so every dam dressing game u do. They are brash and rush into crap and have crazy “totally valiiid” temper tantraums at anyone or any conflict theu face. Then they cry when tht impulse is obviously backfiring on them(i dont really feel bad for them when they do).
On the flip side most of the time ppl love to make the shy/introverts or shy/extroverts these MCs tht talk with a paaaaaainfull stutter(usually in highschool)(and have no speech issues tht make them stutter)
MC:h…h…h…h…h…h…he…hello.
When they could do it like
MC:(unsure body lang) hello…
They say they are passive cuz they cant fight and are non violent. When these MCs do stand up for themeselves(n their own way) ppl still say shes weak af. Not every persons gonna walk up and beat the Bullies butts and have an epic one liner to go with it. Tht doesnt mean shes weak.

(Kinda related)(just cuz the “guy protects MC allllll the time” happens doesnt mean there weak or grow weak cuz of love) its human nature to be terrotorial and protective of ppl u care for(wether thts family or friends)

Cliche 3: Gangs/BadBoys/Teacher romance/Moving in wth /Pregnant by
This is self explanitory and others said it better

Cliche 4:Diversity
Why are POC always either rude(ppl cant say tht shes rude so they say “sassy” to justify it) or backround props(lets play find the POC)(makes me shocked when i see 1 in a story sometimes i get lucky and there are two :0) or non exsistant. Its kinda akward when ur the only black girl on the screen and its very…apparent…(just something i notice) I could go into more detail but dont want to argue with anyone.

Cliche 5: Parties
Releative u love just pass? Go to a party.
Are u introverted or shy? Go to a party.
Do u not wanna go to a party?..-_-shut up u wanna go to the party
Ahh the bland party scenes where MC gets drunk does embaressing stuff(cuz frick ur friends watching u or u having a desegnated driver tht keeps tht from happening) and/or wakes up naked next to her crush or with some random(again wheres ur friend)(u know the friend tht dragged u to the party u didnt wanna go to and makes u dress how u dont wanna)

Cliche 6: supposed friends
As said before MCs “friends” drag her to a party or give her an unwanted (but much needed in their eyes) makeover. They talk about the MCs style and say its boring or how they need to do something(dating and hooking up wth ppl mostly). She or Hes ur very best bud since ur elemntary school days awwwwe until Amber the popular girl comes and rips tht 10+ yrs of friendship apart in a matter of a few days(or random love intrest ur bff liked too)

Cliche 7: every romance ever
Build up romance stop making it “omg hes so Hawt” hes the one! Make me give a damn about him if hes cute(cool) but make me care show me personality. Dont show me tht hes a smooth talker(calling me babe wont ever make me swoon). Show me how hes afraid of chickens despite being a sporty guy. Or what they are passionate on(MCs do.not.count.) show the small irratants tht bother the love intrest.
Stop putting MCs and LI(love intrests) in bed as a way to show how in “wuv” they are(1st i personally am not intrested in tht aspect of any relationship)(seriously dont want tht)I really hate tht being thrust upon me when two characters kiss i dont wanna sleep with him >-<# maybe i just wanna sit watch a horror documentary or bad lifetime thrillers with a crapload of junk food and blankets. Idk my idea of romance is diffrent i guess.(no matress mambo x3/more than friendship/deep connection)
Also i dislike 1 kiss is never(tht peck animation) its always tht boob rubbing one. Then the kiss is described as “sweet and cute or watever” are u sure o.o?

Random smaller rants about cliches(or tiny rants): stop making MCs say they hate school uniforms when they get dressed for school. We get their a “non conformist” but comon same with dresses. You can like dresses(or skirts or school uniforms) and be a badass u dont have to hate being a girl.

U can make characters POC and still have them be characters and not another sterotype or the random silent mean girl minion. And no more white ppl with natrual/box braids/afros/cornrows etc… hair we dont hate u when we say tht. Its just the way our hair grows from our heads(not urs) urs is just as beautiful let us feel the same. ‘-’
Why do mental health stories never include Anhedonia Depression(MDD) or Generalized Anxiety v.v i dont wanna discredit other ppls experinces but idk…whatever…

Stop making MCs rude to teachers or parents just for doing their jobs
Teacher:(teaching classes)
MC: talks to friend the whole time
Teach:stop interrupting my class
MC: stop interrupting my conversations
Thts not funny its just rude and annoying doesnt make the MC strong or assertive
Parents:dont go to tht party its a school night
MC: I hate u. U never understand. U wanna control me and make me ur perfect lil robot i am free bird(goes to party anyways and stupid crap happens)
Or another dumb thing when MC hooks up with ppl and gets preggers(there were steps u coulda taken before tht) i dont like hookup culture but if u do it be smart buy…items for it.

This is getting long and im sure ppl have heard me say the same crap and are getting tired of it so…ill shut up.

14 Likes

Oml, I couldn’t agree more :joy:

2 Likes

Oml this so true.