List Your Fave Intersectional Feminist Authors here

Hey! List your fave intersectional feminist authors here! If you don’t know what I mean by intersectional I mean they don’t just care about women’s rights that are centered around what cishet abled white women would face (examples saying women earn .77 cents when actually that’s only white women, black women earn about .56 cents on the dollar and latinx women earn .26 cents. Also not talking about the different forms of misogyny faces by trans women, women of color, women of color with dark skin, disabled women, etc.) Excluding, or ignoring those topics are all apart of white feminism. But anyway, here are a list of some authors I enjoy.
So I’m talking about authors that care about mental illness, physical disability, poc lgbtq MAIN and fully developed characters, love interests with dark skin who aren’t fetishized, and more!

And please don’t reccomend authors or stories that only have one or two poc main characters in it :sweat:

Please comment with a list of your own authors who you believe to be intersectional feminist aka feminist.

Here are some of mine:
ARK
TORIAH
S. Langdon
S.W. Rose
YPWrites
Alice Santiago
Melia Summers
Mira Mira
MissLadyLG

And I know they don’t write on episode anymore but writer.LB and Luna Rose! :tired_face::fist:t4:

7 Likes

Toriah is literally against strait ppl sooooooooooooo

3 Likes

Straight people aren’t systematically oppressed for being straight… so like? That’s got to do with intersectional feminism how? Oh…it doesn’t.

5 Likes

Omg I don’t have any authors to recommend but I LOVE you for making this post. I saw the words intersectional feminist and I was here, people need to be talking about this more soooo thank you so much for recommending stories that show intersectional feminism and talking about what it is and why it’s important.

:yellow_heart:

1 Like

Ok…? I didn’t say any of that nor did I say it had to do with feminism… I just wanted you to know…

1 Like

This thread is literally about feminism.

ok like I said I just wanted you to know, I just saw screenshots where she was literally saying men (and strait ppl) ruin everything ??

1 Like

Good for her, she’s doing amazing sweetie

4 Likes

So are straight WoC, mentally ill, disabled, straight trans women, nonbinary, gender fluid people excluded from this list? No, I’m not saying straight people are oppressed or even ridiculed for their sexuality, but if what the other user says is true, then this list shouldn’t include authors that make comments which exclude the previously mentioned individuals from their own space. Acceptance and equality shouldn’t have limitations especially with WoC who are largely unrecognized and underrepresented.

5 Likes

Here’s the thing. Toriah jokingly saying “straight ppl and men ruin everything” doesn’t make either of those group oppressed for being those things. Toriah is allowed to complain and make jokes about oppression she faces for not being either of those things. You know why? Because those jokes don’t have a history of violence or supremacy attached to it. But the fact that you guys are more interested in defending groups of people who aren’t marginalized for being in that group and actually hold power over others for being attached to those labels quite frankly ridiculous. The fact that I have to waste my time to explain something that takes a couple of google searches and basic logical reasoning skills is also ridiculous. Of course those groups in itself include people who face oppression for other things but the whole point of pointing out the “men” and “straight” is to bring attention to how regardless of how else you intersect you will have power because of those things. So, again, because I know I’m gonna have to spell this out for you. A woc, complaining about the systems of power that she does not have access to in a joke that, with, hold on, “logical reasoning skills” and “critical thinking” bear with me, those two very things!! Yup just that!! Is all you need to see that jokes based around your own systematic oppression and that don’t hold a history of violence or oppression against that group are okay for those in marginalized positions who have to deal with consequences of not fitting in those groups are allowed to make.
Let me restate and bold the important words for you because I know that can be a lot…
jokes based around your own systematic oppression and that don’t hold a history of violence or oppression against that group are okay for those in marginalized positions who have to deal with consequences of not fitting in those groups are allowed to make.
Why?
Because they do not benefit from the societal systems of powers, people apart of said groups do… In fact!! They actually face systematic violence, lack of job opportunity, and lack of access to basic human rights because of it…
Now! I know I used a lot of big words for you folks. But that’s okay! I know you probably won’t understand this. But you know who can?? Google! That’s right! Get it while the net neutrality is hot! Google!! Currently free for your education folks.

3 Likes

oh tea

1 Like

it’s true, i should say it

2 Likes

I’m not sure if you’re asking for authors who are themselves intersectional feminists or writers who’s work could be considered feminist? (In reference to work I don’t think anything can be considered truly feminist if it isn’t intersectional, feminism means liberation and equality for all women.) Also are you just looking for Episode authors or are you down to read any kind of medium?

2 Likes

Episode authors but I’m open to book suggestions too and both for if the author is an intersectional feminist/the work is. I want to support intersectional (aka the only) feminist! :smile:

As far as books go I would suggest;

• The Dove Keepers by Alice Hoffman, which explores feminist themes through the prospective of Jewish women, I think the intersection of feminism and religion is always really interesting considering Abrahamic religions are deeply rooted in patriarchy.
  • The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison, the subject matter can be hard to read (incest and sexual abuse pop up a lot) but the narrative is well crafted, especially considering this was the authors first published book, and really takes a hard look at the consequences of colorism.
  • This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color, it’s an anthology, I feel like the name says it all, it’s just a good read if you’re in that kind of head space.
  • Any book written by Roxanne Gay, my patron saint, look her up if you haven’t already.
  • We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, It’s focused on sexism in Nigeria but I feel like it really brings home issues that effect all women, especially in an age where women in more developed countries are constantly told we shouldn’t be complaining because look at the rest of the world, I think it both makes us acknowledge our first world privilege and connects us globally
  • Headscarves and Hymens: Why the Middle East Needs a Sexual Revolution by Mona Eltahawy, Moana, like Chimamande, really gets into global feminism through exploring sexism in the Middle East, this is another read that really opens up the world and connects all women
3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to look up some things by Adichie thanks for reminding me!! I’m definitely going to look up the other books too! Thanks :grin:

1 Like

if its true, you should say it.

1 Like

I’m not arguing that straight people are oppressed. **I agree with you that they are not and that the LGBTQA+ community is heavily discriminated against. My problem is the blanket statement. They hurt more than helps. Yes, I am acknowledging that it is a joke. However, by using blanket statements, you round up everything; you are creating a statement to be true about a specific population when the population can be highly diverse. It’s contradictory when wanting equality and acceptance for all. Especially when other marginalized groups fit into the same blanket statement. Sure jokes are harmless in nature, but they have a chance to create a false image of someone who has yet to define whether or not they follow that statement. Because other minorities and disenfranchise groups fit into that box.

Are straight people oppressed? Absolutely not. To think so is ignorant. I’m not arguing that since you seem to insist that I am. Does everyone deserve a basic level of respect? Yes. Should we uplift authors that respect everyone regardless of race, gender, sexuality, etc? Yes. It sends the wrong message when trying to be all for equality and unity.

And don’t even try to twist my words again and think I don’t know that straight people are not marginalized. Because I only pointed out other oppressed groups. The key point is blanket statements and the exclusion of those who don’t check all the boxes of being systematically oppression. Women of color, mentally ill women, disabled women, gender fluid individuals, trans women who are straight. I didn’t even mention men, this is about feminism after all.

And instead of having a cordial rebuttal, you defaulted to mocking my intelligence and talking down to me. You cherry-picked my original comment to suit your argument and found a pattern to fit a presumption. Additionally, you attacked my character in order to undermine my opinion without actually having to engage with it.

This is my opinion and you’re absolutely free to have yours. It’s your right to have one and we are allowed to disagree. It’s possible to respectfully disagree. However, there is no need to speak down to me and disrespect me. We can have a respectful conversation online.

6 Likes

Hey remember how I mentioned that thing called google? Go continue your inquiry there.

Also food for thought:

You have to take into contexts social standing and the needs of the group. And I already explained how calling out a specific aspect that is privileged is different. Intersectionality isn’t about only about looking at how you’re oppressed, it’s also about looking at how you’re privileged as well. Oppressed people are allowed to be upset about their oppression and at the very least make passive aggressive jokes. Jokes that won’t perpetuate oppression against that group because…that group doesn’t get face oppression for that thing. And I mentioned men because it was also relevant to my point.
Generally I get the argument you’re trying to make. I used to make your argument myself. But that was way before I took the time to thoroughly educate myself on what intersectionality is as well as how systems of power and social entitlement work.
Also google “respectability politics”
But this is the last thing I’m saying on this. It’s not my job to teach you.

Thank you for keeping this thread on topic. I would recommend everyone else do the same as if this remains off topic and argumentative it will be closed. Thanks! :peace_symbol:

3 Likes