Literature Discussion Thread đź“š

Hi all! With such an impressive community of Episode readers and writers I can’t help but wonder what books/plays/poems etc. y’all are reading that aren’t Episode related!

Feel free to use this thread to talk about all the non-Episode literature you’re reading, how you feel about it, discuss favourite authors, hated authors, literary styles and movements, get recommendations, give recommendations and let’s just share the wealth! :v:t2:

Personally I just started re-reading “The Violent Bear It Away” by Flannery O’Connor (my fave author :heart_eyes:) and am having a good time! It’s very beautiful and very ugly at the same time, which I think is special :slight_smile:

What are you guys reading?

9 Likes

I have the feeling I’m gonna like this thread.

I recently began reading The Time of The Doves and Persuasion for two of my classes, and I’ve been reading parts of Plato’s Symposium and some of Chekov’s short stories for other ones.

I don’t have much time to read as a hobby but I can’t complain, what I’m reading is pretty interesting and very enjoyable.

1 Like

I’ve been reading Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart, but I’m not really enjoying it much- actually I’m pretty disappointed, my school’s librarian recommended the author to me, but the previous book I read by them had the worst ending possible that I saw coming, and this one is just so confusing to try and piece together since it works in a backward order from the current moment to the past and the timelines are really strange (I’m almost tempted to read the book backwards to see if that helps). I really wanted to enjoy E. Lockhart since my school’s library is so short on thrillers but E. Lockhart is one of the few, but I really just don’t like them at all.

1 Like

I don’t really have a lot of time at the moment to really get into a book on my own time, but in the last few months some really good books I’ve read are Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld, The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon, and Far From the Tree by Robin Benway. All are really amazing YA novels and they got me back into reading after a period of reading some really horrible books.

1 Like

I actually really love Nicola Yoon and Scott Westerfeld. Their writing style makes it so that I end up staying awake until 3 AM reading because it’s just so good.

Don’t have a lot of time to read : /
But when I do, it’s usually stuff like Manga and Mangaka(not sure if that’s how you spell it ^^’) with the occasional western book.
Ones like:
One Piece (my fav)(Manga)
I enjoyed Killing Stalking for a while but then it got too much even for me >~<(mangaka)
Sword Art Online (light novel version) was something I read a bit of but then never got the chance to finish.
And just other stuff that I can’t think of right now. Not sure if Manga counts but whatever lol

Cheers,
R.

I really like reading sad books so I can cry and like feel things, if that makes sense. And about differences and stuff.

Right now though, I’m reading a book called The Geography of You and Me. It’s okay so far, I wish it had more tragic stuff in it, but I like it so far.

Some personal favourites of mine are The Colour of Silence, OCD Love Story, Out of My Mind, Wonder, Land of Stories and Twisted. I can never remember authors so sorry if you wanted them.

Persuasion the Austen book? I had to read that for school once too :slight_smile: Found Anne pretty frustrating but I guess that comes with the territory in a book about hesitancy/doubt etc. I always like Austen’s sharp characters, I know it’s a classic to the point of cliche now (maybe) but for me Elizabeth Bennet from P&P is still tops!

2 Likes

Do you usually seek out thrillers? Or is that just the genre you’re into atm?

1 Like

@noms Curious about some of these horrible books you were reading? Anything you wanna put on blast? :grinning:

@Res manga 100% counts! I really want to start reading One Piece, I tried to get into the show but gave up when I realized I was 20million episodes behind :slight_smile: You ever check out Dragonball? That’s my fave forever :revolving_hearts:

@QueenChid well fingers crossed that things start to go horribly wrong for people in that book soon! Lucky for you a lot of the best books out there are also v sad!

2 Likes

I got hooked on thrillers last year, and I’ve been unable to read any other kind of book since haha

I recently finished My Antonía and am almost done with Foxe’s Martyrs.

What are some of the books that gotcha hooked?

Nice! I’ve never heard of those, what are they about? Did you enjoy them? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gone Girl is my absolute all time favorite- I’ve reread it three times, and every time, the end still manages to have me completely shook. I also liked Gillian Flynn’s other books (Dark Places and Sharp Objects) and Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica as well as Heartbroken by Lisa Unger were pretty good too

1 Like

My AntonĂ­a is a novel about a boy who arrives in Nebraska to live with his grandparents at the same time as a Bohemian family moves into a nearby farm.
AntonĂ­a is the eldest daughter of the Bohemian family, and she and the MC become friends.
However, the story is less about their childhood friendship, and more about the impact she has had on his life and his memories of her.
It’s a good book and is in the public domain.

Martyrs is also in the public domain, and is an account of the deaths of Christian martyrs.
Because the book was written in the Tudor era, much of the book is about those who were killed by Bloody Mary, and those chapters can get a bit repetitive. I’ve been reading it off and on for a while.

@Ryan/@Cam -

I love Jane Austen! I personally haven’t read Persuasion (yet), but I have read P&P and Emma! Very enjoyable books.

Lizzy is my absolute favorite character. And Darcy melts my heart, every. time.

(I’ve consumed P&P in nearly every form it’s been made in–BBC miniseries, movies from B&W classic, to Keira Knightly, and manga–to my honest & slight embarrassment… :blush:)

I also have read a few Carl Sagan books, which I would highly recommend if you’re interested in “how the universe works” type books that are an easy read.

• Cosmos
  • Pale Blue Dot
  • Billions and Billions

Also recommend Jasper Fforde. His books are super fun and imaginative.

• The Last Dragonslayer (Book 1) - Loved!
  • Song of the Quarkbeast (Book 2)
  • The Eye of Zoltar (Book 3)
  • Shades of Grey (First book in the series, so far) - Loved!
1 Like

Fave adaptation? I was raised on the VHS box set of the BBC miniseries cause all moms love Colin Firth (jk we all love Colin Firth) and to me that one’s perfect :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My dad loves the movie adaptation with “That One Actress with the Funny Teeth.”
He’ll say that he’s like Mr. Bennet, then he’ll say he’s like Mr. Darcy, then Mom will tell him that he can’t be both.

He would like the book if he ever got around to reading it.

2 Likes

@Ryan oh man… I have the collector’s edition with the “how it was made” book of the BBC miniseries. (Also grew up with the VHSs of them, and the classic B&W american movie). Colin Firth :heart_eyes: But I’d have to say the 2005 Keira Knightly version is my absolute favorite. That cinematography, tho!

@Cricket_Master Haha! Nice! Maybe it would be a great gift idea? :thinking: