Literature Discussion Thread šŸ“š

He prefers listening to books on his iPod or phone.

1 Like

Thereā€™re great audiobooks available on iTunes!
One of my favorite audiobooks done was Enderā€™s Game. It was preformed by the author and I think one other writers (names escape me). Very well done, though. :slight_smile:

Definitely a pretty film! though unfortunately thatā€™s part of why I dislike it haha. I think theyā€™re outside way too much! I think Austen characters belong indoors :slight_smile:

Like in the scene when Darcy proposes the first time and they start yelling at each other, to me thatā€™s the opposite of what Austen is about. I feel like that film really misses a lot of the frustration and restraint that is so central to the story by giving you scenes of emotional release like that.

2 Likes

Ooh, I like this idea! Iā€™ve needed some good reading suggestions for a while. As for my own, I canā€™t really stand plain thrillers/Horrors, because Iā€™ve always felt the story gets left out with just the purpose of scaring the reader in mind. I like romance, so long as it isnā€™t the only thing, and mostly Iā€™m a Fantasy, Supernatural, Mythology type reader.

Iā€™m not reading anything at the moment, though Iā€™m part way through ā€˜Game Of Thronesā€™. I like the Tv series, so I thought Iā€™d try reading the book, but idk. Kind of long winded.
ā€˜Skulduggery Pleasantā€™ is a good one. Derek Landy, master of sarcasm, has a great tone for a gritty crime fantasy style. Still havenā€™t read the last book because I saw the cover and NOPE!
Really enjoyed the ā€˜Throne of Glassā€™ series, though things started to tale off by the ā€˜Heir of Fireā€™ books. She picked it up by the end. Canā€™t say much for the newest one though. Always felt like chaol was a bit of a wet blanket.
Donā€™t have a favourite, but I do enjoy re-reading ā€˜The Hunger Gamesā€™. Not sure why, just one of the few books I donā€™t get tired of.
As for a book I really canā€™t stand? ā€˜Red Queenā€™. X(
A) I spent Ā£7 on that book, and Iā€™m broke. Was supposed to help rekindle my love of reading and all it did was make things worse.
B) really bad book. I could go on all day, I will if someone wants, but my days was it just an all round terrible book. Great idea, bad execution.

3 Likes

Hunger Games is really great and as usual the book version is much better than the movies. Surprisingly for Game of Thrones I also prefer the series. The book is a bit too slow for me, but I have just finished the second part so more drama is on the way :slightly_smiling_face:
I really like utopian and dystopian novels and my all time favourites are Animal Farm and 1984 from George Orwell. (Both have horrible film adaptations though.)

I donā€™t want to buy books, go to the library, or read books illegally; therefore, most of the books I read are in the public domain.
Surprisingly, one book I genuinely enjoyed was Moby Dick. Stubb was the best.

1 Like

Yeah, the books were better for Hunger Games, but luckily the films were pretty good. Though, I saw the film first, so that could also be why. Still, books just add more depth.
I donā€™t really read dystopias, not because I donā€™t like them, on the contrary, theyā€™re actually really interesting, I just havenā€™t found many. I havenā€™t read many classics like those two (but I have heard of them, and I might do eventually). I read the first book of Divergent. Book was cool, interesting dynamic, but the film was absolutely atrocious and everyone told me not to bother reading the other two books soā€¦ yup. I liked the film ā€˜V for Vendettaā€™. not a book, but it was a really cool dystopia story. Great protagonist. X)

Bookstores and libraries are my happy places :slight_smile:

@LTea Ever read the comic for V for Vendetta?

1 Like

Saw pictures of it, but Iā€™m not much of a comic reader. I occasionally read manga (not the same, but meh) But tbh I think itā€™s more the actor of V that I just think aced the elegant suave of the ingenious rebel. X) Plus, that monologue.
:wink::ok_hand:

1 Like

I donā€™t read much although I do love to read. I do want to start reading more. Any recommendations of what to read?

What kind of stories are you into? Genre, tropes, character types?

Hmm, I donā€™t know I kind of like everything.

Well, I finished the book I was talking about earlier. Had a sweet ending but nothing heart-wrenching. It was sort of expected endingā€”well, I expected the ending. One of those Fairy Tale happily ever after ones. Even though it wasnā€™t fantasy.

I have a bunch of other books I need to finish soon so I can bring them back to the library on time, so maybe Iā€™ll have a reading session tonight.

I just realised I havenā€™t read any Fantasy books in awhileā€¦ I will have to search the library catalogue for one today.

Well, that doesnā€™t really help people make suggestions. :thinking:
You could start with classics or popular stories in a certain genre. If you find you like certain types of films you can use that genre to find classic style books that follow it. For example, a classic romance would be something like ā€˜Pride and Prejudiceā€™ (though it can be a slow read) or ā€˜The Princess Brideā€™, or something modern like ā€˜The fault in our starsā€™. (Idk, I donā€™t really read romanceā€¦)
I like to think I read everything at the end of the day, but there are somethings I prefer and others I donā€™t care for. That, and itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve done much reading too, soā€¦ yar.

If youā€™re asking in general, Iā€™d suggest ā€˜The Hunger Gamesā€™ because itā€™s a bit all-rounded, and a good read, in my opinion.

1 Like

Alright, Thanks!

I donā€™t know why this book came to mind but if youā€™ve never read ā€œThe Phantom Tollboothā€ you should check it out! Itā€™s such a good time, super creative and full of smart things :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, I havenā€™t read that. Iā€™ll check it out.

So most of these are books I was assigned to read in school either this year or in previous years, and arenā€™t necessarily bad books in themselves. Just not my style and they were a drag to read, they made reading feel more like work and less like a hobby.

• Buried Onions by Gary Soto
  • Earthshine by Theresa Nelson
  • One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
  • A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park

These are just books that Iā€™ve read and not been that into.

• Into White by Randi Pink
  • The Romantics by Leah Konen (this one isnā€™t terrible and I also havenā€™t finished it yet but Iā€™m not loving it so far)

Again, these arenā€™t necessarily bad books, but I did not like reading them.

Well I havenā€™t finished yet (Iā€™m only in chapter 12) but I kinda get pissed at Anne for thinking about how she always has to be important, but I like her interactions with Benswick, it kinda helps develop her character. However, i donā€™t want to stick to any opinion before I finish the book.

And I have to agree, Lizzie Bennet is the best, I love her (and find her to be quite relatable).

I honestly donā€™t know how to feel about Darcy. I mean, heā€™s an awesome character and reading about his is delightful. But I know that in real life I would find him infuriating yet intriguing so I would probably never talk to him, and I wouldnā€™t get to see the complexity of his character.