Literature Discussion Thread 📚

literature

Bookstores and libraries are the ailment my soul needs

1 Like

If anyone here wants to read something that will really get you to feel empathy (and probably will make you feel miserable), I suggest you to read “Misery” by Anton Chekhov, it totally crushed my soul.

0 Likes

I’ve personally been reading a lot of Ursula Le Guin - may she rest in peace.

Lately, I’ve been getting really into the SciFi Masterworks collection - super political and lots of fun to read at the same time. It really does get the gears turning in my mind. Who knew’ I Am Legend’ was based on a story about vampires?! It’s an intense read.

Has anyone else read the Earthsea Chronicles?

1 Like

I only ever read “A Wizard of Earthsea” years ago, I remember liking how it depicts the power in names. What are some other Le Guin’s you’d recommend?

1 Like

Hmmm… One of my favourites by her is definitely The Dispossessed! It’s a sci-fi story about a capitalist planet and its communist colony on the moon. A guy from the moon decides to do some scientific research on the capitalist planet. It’s all about him adjusting and realising the differences between the two. Very political - definitely a testament to its late-cold-war setting. I loved it!

0 Likes

That sounds perfect! Seems very fitting for our present setting too :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I couldn’t get into Dragon Ball Z, though every once in a while I see a funny ad for it for something from the anime and I just laugh lol.

Cheers,
R.

0 Likes

Here are my favorite books:

Until We Meet Again by Renee Collins - literally my favorite book and barely anyone knows it exists. And also, the idea would be SO COOL to be adapted into an Episode story, but of course, copyrights.

An Invisible Thread by Laura Schroff - a classic.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - once again, a classic.

The Journal of Curious Letters by James Dashner (only have read the first) - the lesser known book series of Dashner, a fun read and you get to find out secrets along the way with the main character.

The Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse - if you couldn’t tell already, I love Holocaust themed realistic fiction stories, and this is an AMAZING one.

Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell - a classic horror tale, the only one of its sort that I have read. A short and fun read.

If you have any questions please ask me about them because I absolutely love these books lol.

0 Likes

A ggod books you should try are Throne of glass series and A court of thorns and roses series by the one and only Sarah J Maas.The are AMAZING and i have read them both 2 times.

1 Like

I’ve read some of LeGuin’s work, but not Earthsea. I like the sci-fi stuff. The first one I read was The Left Hand of Darkness. That’s a great book. Since then, I’ve read 5 or 6 others. My favorites are City of Illusions, and The Word For World Is Forest.

1 Like

I definitely recommend Earthsea if you like LeGuin!

0 Likes

Reading “Oysters” by Chekov right after reading “Children” by him is wild, there are so many differences in how childhood is seen.

0 Likes

In what way? How do you see those differences working themselves out in the stories?

0 Likes

The thing is… both stories are about children, and the overall happy and calm mood of “Children” is totally broken by “Oysters”.
In “Children” the kids are playing and they don’t have a care in the world other than the game, and when they finish playing even the money they used to play loses its importance. Meanwhile in “Oysters” the little boy is starving to death and his father has no money to feed him, and in the middle of the night he awakens because of an illness just to find his father muttering to himself about how much he needs money to keep both of them alive and well.

1 Like

So what do you think it means?

0 Likes

Love Jane A! Her stories always remind me that no matter the changes that come with time, as humans, we all will have similar life experiences and that ultimately connects us

1 Like

I’m a fan of A. M. Homes. Her novels are definitely more geared to adults regarding content but I started reading The End of Alice and The Safety of Objects (GREAT MOVIE and more family friendly then anything else I have read from her, btw!) when I was around 16 or so. She tackles some uncomfortable but amusing subjects that people experience in life but don’t usually discuss. Lot’s of dark humor.

0 Likes

Yasssss!! I own all her of GF’s books, including her short story: The Grown Up
She’s a genius.
The sense emotion she generates through he vivid descriptions of pain and angst is amazing

0 Likes

I loved the tv version as well but the newer version with Matthew Macfadyen :sob:.
The scene in the rain is just so moving

0 Likes

I love this thread!! I been looking for a good group of bibliophiles.
Im running later for something but I will past my fave books later :hugs:

1 Like